Wiper Blades

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
ZephyR
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box
Options: 18" Inters, Front fogs, Multi-function steering wheel, Parking sensors & Interior mats

Re: Wiper Blades

Post by ZephyR »

I've only had mine less than 2 weeks but even so we've had a fair amount of rain in that time from torrential to very light drizzle and my wipers have been fine in all conditions (touch wood).
Maybe VW have sorted the problem on the MY2010 models.
Evil Derboy
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Deep Black
Options: Leather • Nav

Post by Evil Derboy »

Last edited by Evil Derboy on Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spiney
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Pewter Grey
Options: Dynaudio, Cruise, DRL's turned off!
Just added Premium mats and treadplates, because she's worth it!

Post by Spiney »

Mine is also 2 weeks old, got christened on a 300 mile run in the torrential rain weekend before last and wipers so far 100% Here's hoping.....
The Kitchen Shop
http://www.just-cooking.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chocaholic
In: Rising Blue
Options: Leather, Winter Pack, Reversing Sensors, Cruise, Folding Mirrors

Post by Chocaholic »

Sorry to disappoint you guys - mine's a 2010 model and the wipers smear. Gave the w/s the RainX treatment though and everything is perfect so long as you don't switch the wipers on!

Hope VW get it sorted soon .....

:rolleyes:
RyanLincoln
Options: Revo Stage 1, 18''Interlagos, Multifunction steering wheel with GT badge, DVD Navigation system with Dynaudio, Electric folding door mirrors, Rear parking sensors, Fog lamps, rear tinted windows, flat tyre ind, premium mats, alloy pedals.

Post by RyanLincoln »

My wipers are shit!

We get alot of rain up here in the north east so me and the smear are quite acquainted.

Think it may be a long time before a viable solution is ready!
Revo Stage 1
etotheip
I drive a: Scirocco R
With a: DSG box
Options: leather, sunroof, parking sensors, 19s, nav, folding mirrors, dynaudio, cruise

Post by etotheip »

Just had mine in for its first service and dealer said that one of the wiper blades smear (NO really!!!!!) and said they will sort it :nod:

I will update you all if this really does happens :clap:
Still going strong =)
SCOTT

Post by SCOTT »

how much was your first service mate???
etotheip
I drive a: Scirocco R
Options: leather, sunroof, parking sensors, 19s, nav, folding mirrors, dynaudio, cruise

Post by etotheip »

My first service was £99 and did not think it was too bad and they put a new blade on and messed about a bit with the arm and at the moment there is no smear :yes:

We will see if it lasts and if so well done Cov!
Still going strong =)
fimael

Post by fimael »

I agree with the bloke from the North East...I live there too and nearly crashed when we had torrential rain a couple of weeks ago cos I couldn't see!...grr!!!! I can see a bit better when I adjust the driver seat into the highest position but it's not comfortable to drive...I'm quite tall and my head's in the roof! The dealer told me VW would be issuing a recall soon, so didn't replace my wiper blade when I complained. I'm going to contact VW and ask when they're going to fix it...it's a bit dangerous and like someone else pointed out...bet it wouldn't pass an MOT!!
RyanLincoln
Options: Revo Stage 1, 18''Interlagos, Multifunction steering wheel with GT badge, DVD Navigation system with Dynaudio, Electric folding door mirrors, Rear parking sensors, Fog lamps, rear tinted windows, flat tyre ind, premium mats, alloy pedals.

Post by RyanLincoln »

Well i'm only 5' 10'' and have my seat adjusted to the lowest point possible so my arse is nearly touching the road.

My eye line is perfectly between the top of the steering wheel and the dreaded smear! if I concerntrate long enough on the road ahead, the smear tends to disapear....for about 20 seconds! it starts to become like one of those Magic Eye things in the tv mags as it starts to come back into my eye line, and before I know it, im swerving around lorries at the last minute and cruising over the rumble strip....my other half just thinks i'm a wank driver :D !

Hope they find a solution soon!
Revo Stage 1
woodward182
Options: Leather, 35mm H&R, AMD Remap

Post by woodward182 »

I may have found a solution to the wiper issue.

I noticed the centre of the blade is under too much pressure on the downward sweep, so I took the blade off and bent round on itself(going with the existing bend)untill it wouldn't coil any further. (Be carefull not to kink the blade anywhere).

When I put the blade back on it wiped perfectly! :clap:
nickp
Options: Anthracite Leather, Dynaudio Soundpack, Park Sensor, Folding Mirrors, Flat Tyre Indicator, Smoking Pack,
Carpet Mats. GT Steering Wheel Badge, Metal Pedals, Pewter Arsenal Key Ring.

Post by nickp »

The (supposedly modified) Jetta wipers that my dealer fitted about a month ago still working brilliantly. No smear at all.
If you are planning to bring the car back to the dealer for the wipers then get them to call VW Technical at Milton Keynes. They will instruct your dealer to fit the wipers from a Jetta.
They seem to have the same part number but for some reason they are different to the Roc's ....and they work. (Well mine do anyway) :yes:
Wappingwooly
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: 19" Lugano Wheels
RNS510 Sat Nav
9W7 Bluetooth Phone Prep
Black Vienna Leather
Cruise Control
Rear Parking Sensors
Folding Door Mirrors
Winter Pack

Post by Wappingwooly »

Is everyone still having wiper blade issues?

I have had replacement blades already on my 60 plate and the new ones are rubbish too, smearing on the down stroke as other people have said in this post.

Any solutions out there?
RW1
Legend
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

Not since decontaminating the windscreen of what appeared to be glass adhesive causing patches initially.

Then later fitting alternative wiper blades & carriers VW Part No. 5K2 955 426 - driver's side, 5K2 955 425 passenger side last July. The Scirocco part number ones, particularly the driver's side was still being a problem. Since then, the part numbered blades above have worked well and clear the windscreen as expected.

Only one thing I note is on the turn at the vertical position, they can make a bit of noise as they change direction if there are not enough rain drops on the screen to clear. Due I think to the rubber blade being of stiffer material.

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
Hughesy88
Options: Interlagos, fog lights, sat nav, tints, leather

Post by Hughesy88 »

i have a new 60 plate and i get the dreaded smear....quite bad as well, I will have to take it in soon, do i need to book an appointment to get it sorted or just turn up?
Wappingwooly
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: 19" Lugano Wheels
RNS510 Sat Nav
9W7 Bluetooth Phone Prep
Black Vienna Leather
Cruise Control
Rear Parking Sensors
Folding Door Mirrors
Winter Pack

Post by Wappingwooly »

Now off to VW now to find out what they can do about it, as it's just down the road, will let you know what they say...

Will also ask them about those other part numbers, cheers!
mordred1973
In: Salsa Red
Options: 2nd Jan 10 redroc arrived:GT 2.0TSI, Salsa Red, Xenon's, Winter Pack, Pano Roof, Parking Sensors, Folding Mirrors, Flat Tyre Indicator, Leather, Electric Seat, RNS510 Fiscon bluetooth, beep on locking, revo stage 1 and sill protectors

Post by mordred1973 »

look forward to hearing your update Wapping.....mine smears badly and all the time, so it's on the list of things for the first service in January...
RW1
Legend
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

Worth having a read through this topic if the screen isn't clear of contaminants Link.

Particularly if the smearing looks like patches on the glass surface.

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
martdy
Options: Vienna Leather,Winter Pack,Dynaudio with DAB,PanoRoof,Parking Sensors,Tyre Indicator,Non Smoking Smokers Pack,Cruise control,Folding Mirrors, Prem Mats/Sills,Gt Badge/Metal Pedals,Fiscon Bluetooth.

Post by martdy »

I replaced mine this summer with Valeo versions . Been perfect ever since
Rising Blue,DSG,Vienna Leather,Winter Pack,Pano roof,Folding mirrors,Dynaudio/DAB,Park Sensors,Cruise, Flat tyre indicator,Prem Mats+Sills,Metal Pedals,Gt Badge,Fiscon,Covered cup holder/rear cup holders.Now gone Piano Black with new Climate Control
robmx
Options: Winter Pack, Cruise Control, Parking Sensors.

Post by robmx »

I was under the impression the OE wipers were Valeo items?

Anyways, I replaced mine with Bosch wipers and they're been perfect ever since as well.