Wiper Blades

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
maisbitt
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Parking Sensors, Smokers Pack (for aesthetics), R gearstick, R pedals, Sliding cup holder cover.

Wiper Blades

Post by maisbitt »

This may have been covered a long time ago, when the Scirocco was new, but after 2 weeks of ownership, I got my first bit of rain on Thursday.

My wipers don't seem to be A1, and i've heard it is a common issue with the Scirocco. On the upward stroke, the wipe is smear-free, but on the return stroke, there is slight smearing across the arc that the centre of both blades travel. Are the rubbers crap, or it down to tensioning? I didn't think tensioning was an issue as the upward stroke is fine.

Looking at the blades, I took them off the arms for a closer look - not much consideration has gone into security there, on my MK5 Golf, the rest position of the wipers was well tucked under the back of the bonnet. Someone could have the Scirocco blades twokked in the blink of an eye.

The construction of the blade housing seems to help with easy rubber only replacement (for about £6), rather than replacing the whole blade housing (which VW would love for you to do at £30+).

Has anyone replaced the rubbers for something that Bosch or Champion sell? If so, are they any better?

Otherwise, what do the dealers do about the issue? Can't see the point of the replacement if you'll get more of the same.
2013 - Tornado Red MK7 Golf GTD on order
2011-2013 - Rising Blue 170GT
2009-2011 - Pewter Roc 140GT
2007-2009 - Tornado Red Golf 170TDI GT
2005-2007 - Black Pearl Golf 140TDI GT
2003-2005 - Black Pearl Polo 1.9TDI
scirocco007
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Candy White
Options: Metal pedals, Gti 30th edition shiftknob, volkswagen B.T, BBS VZ, K&N inbox, APR stage 1, Eibach pro-kit 30mm lower springs

Re: Wiper Blades

Post by scirocco007 »

I went to the dealership garage and got new ones at the warraty coverage period
Geoff Hibbert
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Deep Black
With a: DSG box
Options: Sat Nav, 18" Charleston Wheels, 15mm Eibach Spacers, Cruise, couple of doors, a few tyres, hammerite calipers (chavtatsic) exhaust pipe things too and a silvery GT badge.

Post by Geoff Hibbert »

They are crap, on a journey back from London on Friday night I ended up sitting lower than normal in the seat as the smear was right in my eyeline!!!
wigit
Options: I used to own one

Post by wigit »

Geoff loads of pople have made posts about wipers its been an ongoin issue since first cars
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
kasman21
Options: Tryffle Leather Interior, Cruise Control, Bluetooth

Post by kasman21 »

Well my car has been back to the dealer 3 times!

1st time tightened wipers up and changed blades
2nd time change wiper arms, wiper blades, motor and linkage!
3rd time sent report to VW in Gemrany , they have had the car for 7 days and still not sorted!! so will keep you posted!

not happy but have a New Golf GTI as a courtesy car!!

:-)
scirocco
Options: Scirocco number two ordered November 3rd 2010 (build week 5), Delivered April 2011
Cruise Control, Premium mats, Mudflaps...

Post by scirocco »

Hows the GTI compared to the Scirocco?
bhids
Options: Leather, Sat Nav, Park Sensors, Xenons, Flat Tyre indicator, Winter pack, cruise control, elec seats, badge deletion, smoking pack

Post by bhids »

i have had the same problem.
Took the car to the dealer they had a look and tried a new set of wipers and tested it and said that the problem is still there and they would contact VW.
A couple of weeks passed and got a call to go in and have some new wipers fitted.
I have had the wipers on now for over 4 weeks and they are fine.
the dealer even rang me to see how i was getting on and to report back to VW.

Yes the wipers are a problem on the Roc, but there is a solution, a new set of modified wipers (apparently) worked for me.

PS- how was the new Golf GTI?
maisbitt
Options: Parking Sensors, Smokers Pack (for aesthetics), R gearstick, R pedals, Sliding cup holder cover.

Post by maisbitt »

Well, I took the car back to the local VW dealer, and they spent 30 mins with it.

As a bit of background, i'd thoroughly checked the windscreen for anything nasty stuck to it, and i'd also checked the wiper blades, at all points, not just the main rubber blade, but the secondary "T" pieces also, to make sure that they were undamaged and nothing stuck to them or in them. Blades and windscreen were totally free of damage and muck.

30 mins later, the VW guy has replaced the wiper, and said that I had some debris on the windscreen that had pulled a chunk out of the wiper blade. He didn't print off an warranty invoice for me to sign (as they usually do for warranty work) , and according to his diagnosis, I didn't think the warranty would cover it anyway. No charge for the work, and without the invoice to sign, no charge to VW warranty either?

The explanation was totally incorrect, I don't know whether that's VW trying to discretely put right a known fault for the Scirocco wipers, and making out that they've done you a good-will gesture in replacing a blade.

The new blade works fine, with no more smearing, and the tension of the arm on the screen seems to have been adjusted (less firmly held), or it has been replaced by one with a less tightly wound spring tensioner.

The windscreen still seems to have it's coat of wash/wax on it, as water still beads on it.

I'm happy with the result, but am mystified as to why VW has to lie about the cause and think's we're all a bit green behind the ears. If a bit of muck had pulled a chunk out of the blade rubber, that would imply to me that the standard wiper blades weren't very robust.

I think VW have probably sent a job lot of modified wiper arms to the dealers to fit. The fitting of the rubber housing alone is a 30 second job - just press the button in on the arm knuckle and pull the blade housing out, then clip the new one in. The new blade and/or arm doesn't look any different to the old one to me (might change my mind if I could see old and new together).
maisbitt

Post by maisbitt »

Well, the first bit of rain since the blades replacement, and the smear is twice the size it was with the original set - it's going to be a lot of to-ing and fro-ing with the dealership I think.
maisbitt

Post by maisbitt »

Going back to the dealers today. The rubber blade itself is very easy to remove from the blade housing (so it's a £5 replacement, not £30 for the whole blade). I took the blade apart and put the rubber in the opposite way around, and now I have a different smear pattern! The rubber is a very tight fit lengthways - it's almost as if it is about 4mm too long for it's blade housing, so maybe there is a slight curl to the blade along its length because of this. If the service guys can't resolve this issue then I might try chopping out about 4mm off the blade rubber before putting it back in it's housing.

After that i'll have to think about changing the rubber strips for another brand myself (Bosch or Champion) if things don't improve.

Has anyone on here had a wiper issue that has sorted itself after a few months of use, maybe after the graphite layer has worn away?
nickp
In: Pewter Grey
Options: Anthracite Leather, Dynaudio Soundpack, Park Sensor, Folding Mirrors, Flat Tyre Indicator, Smoking Pack,
Carpet Mats. GT Steering Wheel Badge, Metal Pedals, Pewter Arsenal Key Ring.

Post by nickp »

maisbitt wrote:Has anyone on here had a wiper issue that has sorted itself after a few months of use, maybe after the graphite layer has worn away?
No, the opposite I'm afraid.
I had the smallest of smears when I first got the car but it has gradually got worse over the two months.
I now get a wide smear in a semi arc right in front of my eye line on the downward stroke where it was just a couple of inches to start with.
The passenger side has never had any smear though.
maisbitt

Post by maisbitt »

Another replacement yesterday, working perfectly at the moment. Had a bit of rain to try them too. I'd initially spoken to one warranty manager on the phone (before booking in) who told me that I wouldn't get a fix, blades are a consumable and not covered by the warranty. He changed his mind eventually when i'd explained that my car had done 700 miles and had seen only 3 days of rain since I bought it.

The guys at the service desk were very helpful though, and if this blade quickly deteriorates then they're prepared to order a new wiper arm/linkage set in for me.
fimael

Post by fimael »

Have been told by dealer that VW have acknowledged there is a fault with the Roc's wipers and that VW are looking for a solution....anyone heard anything else about this?
Evil Derboy
Options: Leather • Nav

Post by Evil Derboy »

Last edited by Evil Derboy on Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gossa
Options: Scirocco's gone, MKVI GTI is replacement.

Post by gossa »

scirocco wrote:Hows the GTI compared to the Scirocco?
I just traded my Roc for a mk6 GTI, they are similar cars, what you like and don't like about the scirocco will possibly be reversed in the Golf.

Both great cars, similar but different. Golf delivers the power less frantically so feels slower but in reality it's the same speed. In my view, the Golf suffers less from understeer and torque steer. GTI looks more 'ordinary' to the average punter so Scirocco more 'special' for the owner. GTI more practical in terms of space, doors etc.

I prefer the golf that's why I traded but can still appreciate the appeal of the Roc.

GOOD NEWS THOUGH: I bought my Roc with 800 miles on it for £21K in November, just traded it with 13200 miles, two low front tyres and needing a service and the book value was £19K, I got close to £20K back. dealer now has it up for sale for £22K. VERY STRONG residual value there!
maisbitt

Post by maisbitt »

Smears again on my 2nd replacement set - around 2 weeks old. A bit of heavy rain over the weekend and i've got the same banana shaped smear across the central arc of the drivers wiper, on the return stroke.
iAmbu
Options: Factory fit: Black Vienna leather, Dynaudio, 19" Lugano alloys

Retro-fitted: H&R springs, REVO Stage 1, OEM VW parking sensors with OPS, RNS-510 sat nav, Video In Motion, FISCON Basic Plus Bluetooth, TPMS

Post by iAmbu »

gossa wrote:GOOD NEWS THOUGH: I bought my Roc with 800 miles on it for £21K in November, just traded it with 13200 miles, two low front tyres and needing a service and the book value was £19K, I got close to £20K back. dealer now has it up for sale for £22K. VERY STRONG residual value there!
Ahhh so it's YOUR car which I saw advertised by Loders in the Dorset Echo :wink:
iAmbu
2.0 TDi (170) - revo - STAGE 1
gossa

Post by gossa »

iAmbu wrote:
gossa wrote:GOOD NEWS THOUGH: I bought my Roc with 800 miles on it for £21K in November, just traded it with 13200 miles, two low front tyres and needing a service and the book value was £19K, I got close to £20K back. dealer now has it up for sale for £22K. VERY STRONG residual value there!
Ahhh so it's YOUR car which I saw advertised by Loders in the Dorset Echo :wink:
Is it black? Then yes but if anyone wants it the front tyres are getting low! Nice car, well looked after, never lost so little on a car!
iAmbu
Options: Factory fit: Black Vienna leather, Dynaudio, 19" Lugano alloys

Retro-fitted: H&R springs, REVO Stage 1, OEM VW parking sensors with OPS, RNS-510 sat nav, Video In Motion, FISCON Basic Plus Bluetooth, TPMS

Post by iAmbu »

gossa wrote:
iAmbu wrote:
Is it black? Then yes but if anyone wants it the front tyres are getting low! Nice car, well looked after, never lost so little on a car!
Yep, black. I recognised the mileage from the paper so knew it must be yours. Glad you didn't lose too much!!
iAmbu
2.0 TDi (170) - revo - STAGE 1
gossa

Post by gossa »

well I reckon that's the least i've ever lost! Still all relative considering the lack of big deals off the GTI, they give in one hand and take it back in the other.

Good dealer though Loders, family owned, seem like they care more than a lot of others, good service from martin in sales and they tweaked some settings through VAG.COM for free the other day.