Connecting an iPod/iPhone via MDI

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
rehmondo
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Leather • Winter • Sunroof • Cruise • DAB • Park • Tyre • Mirrors • Mats • Mudflaps • Prem Sills • Pedals • Jewelultra Diamondbrite • Bluefin Remap • Carbonio CAI • LED Pack

Connecting an iPod/iPhone via MDI

Post by rehmondo »

Whilst test driving the Scirocco I was keen to test the MDI with my iPhone and old 40GB iPod (might as well make use of it), the demo had the standard radio that has the 6CD changer built into the unit not the glove box or arm rest - very handy.

Anyways much to my disappointment neither devices worked/showed up on the screen I messed about with the options but nothing, although I learnt you do need to activate the Aux in via the stereo, not already on!

I've been trying to find out more about this before I go back on Monday and I just read on a site what I assumed would be the case. You need an actual VW iPod cable to get it to work, according to the site the standard USB one that comes with it only supports flash memory sticks (I will try this on Monday), however on the site you can see what the iPod cable looks like and the fact that the USB can be removed (I tried with a lot of force but could not remove it)

Site here:
http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f106dfb

For those of you who are thinking why not just use the AUX, well by using the MDI in theory you should be able to select your tunes from the steering or stereo console and the iPod can be hidden away!

PS I will take close up of the connections on Monday.
rehmondo
Options: Leather • Winter • Sunroof • Cruise • DAB • Park • Tyre • Mirrors • Mats • Mudflaps • Prem Sills • Pedals • Jewelultra Diamondbrite • Bluefin Remap • Carbonio CAI • LED Pack

Re: Connecting an iPod/iPhone via MDI

Post by rehmondo »

New pictures now available, I confirmed what the article said about the USB connector and indeed it worked fine with a USB Memory stick, once plugged in just select MEDIA-IN on the console, it automatically recognises all compatible files whether they’re in a folder or not, exact same thing happens when you push an SD Card in.

See more pics here...
http://flickr.com/photos/94745586@N00/s ... 178081494/
iroc
In: Deep Black
Options: Black Leather, Pano Roof, Winter Pack, Mats, Sat Nav, Prem Sills.
Now Sold

Post by iroc »

Got my ipod lead today and it works with my touch perfectly

morrissey
With a: Manual box
Options: Golf R, 3 door, manual, leather, sunroof, 19" alloys, ACC, cruise, comfort and storage packs

Post by morrissey »

Nice!

Shame on you Audi - for £150 I get to plug my ipod in with no track selection or display.

This walks all over what Audi have to offer

Nachsprung ohne Technik

(You can work that one out ;) )
rehmondo

Post by rehmondo »

Hey man, many thanks for those pics, so did the cable cost you? Or did the dealer give it free?

I got the Sat Nav option without the 6CD changer, it has the built in 30Gb hard drive, 10GB's which is used for the Sat Nav if you wish to copy the DVD onto the HDD. I might use my old iPod 40GB (2004 version) or might get one of those new 16GB nanos.

Can you confirm if it charges the ipod too? I was also hoping to use this cable to charge my iphone.

Many thanks again

PS Congrats on the new car, I can't wait for mine (due January).
Kev
Administrator
In: Rising Blue
Options: Leather, cruise, parking sensors, folding mirrors, flat tyre indicator
Sadly replaced in Nov '16 by a TTS!

Post by Kev »

Great pics. Thanks for that.

I might put my old nano in the car and treat myself to a new one. 1000 songs and a few choice playlists should be enough to while away the hours if the radio is rubbish.
iroc
Now Sold

Post by iroc »

rehmondo wrote:Hey man, many thanks for those pics, so did the cable cost you? Or did the dealer give it free?

I got the Sat Nav option without the 6CD changer, it has the built in 30Gb hard drive, 10GB's which is used for the Sat Nav if you wish to copy the DVD onto the HDD. I might use my old iPod 40GB (2004 version) or might get one of those new 16GB nanos.

Can you confirm if it charges the ipod too? I was also hoping to use this cable to charge my iphone.

Many thanks again

PS Congrats on the new car, I can't wait for mine (due January).
All Scirocco's get the lead as standard, and yes it does charge the ipod.
wigit
Options: I used to own one

Post by wigit »

iroc excellant, looks very impressive and no doubt the touch screen aids things, we'll forgive you atomic kitten.....
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
iroc
Now Sold

Post by iroc »

andy wrote:iroc excellant, looks very impressive and no doubt the touch screen aids things, we'll forgive you atomic kitten.....

Yeah the touchscreen is brilliant. Don't tell everybody about atomic kitten. :dancer:
iroc
Now Sold

Post by iroc »

morrissey wrote:Nice!

Shame on you Audi - for £150 I get to plug my ipod in with no track selection or display.

This walks all over what Audi have to offer

Nachsprung ohne Technik

(You can work that one out ;) )
Noticed that the guys on the TT forum are not happy with the ipod kit.
etotheip
I drive a: Scirocco R
Options: leather, sunroof, parking sensors, 19s, nav, folding mirrors, dynaudio, cruise

Post by etotheip »

Hey guys!

I can not get my USB connector to work in my car! Have tried with a number of devices i.e. usb stick, mp3 player

Does anybody else have any problems or know how to solve it?

Thanks in advance
Still going strong =)
iroc
Now Sold

Post by iroc »

Go into setup and make sure the aux is set to activated. :yes:
etotheip
I drive a: Scirocco R
Options: leather, sunroof, parking sensors, 19s, nav, folding mirrors, dynaudio, cruise

Post by etotheip »

cheers will have a look :)
Still going strong =)
gossa
Options: Scirocco's gone, MKVI GTI is replacement.

Post by gossa »

Plugged my little shuffle into the USB lead and was amazed that all the tracks came up on the screen, everying operated from the touch screen or steering wheel and it charges, sounds great too!
alex

Post by alex »

Is the iPod connector an optional extra if you already have opted for RCD510?
squareeyes
In: Sumatra
Options: Parking sensor, Dynaudio, Mats, Sills, Pedals, Supaguard

Post by squareeyes »

palex wrote:Is the iPod connector an optional extra if you already have opted for RCD510?
I guess that it depends on the country you are in. UK models come with the Ipod cable and a USB cable. In Europe there appear to be more options available and this might be different.

Also, does anyone know if there is a list of what Ipods do and do not work with the adaptor.
So far Works that I have tried.
5.5 Gen
touch 1st gen
Does not work
3rd Gen
Iphone 3G
I was going to try and pick up a used IPOD to stick in the car as my old 3rd gen does not work however I need to make sure that I get one that is supported.
cpjames
In: Sumatra
Options: Parking Sensor, SatNav/DVD, Mats
Dynaudio
Est. Build Week 10

Post by cpjames »

Thanks for this info guys.. I currently have a sony mp3 player which wont give this level of integration but this would certainly lead me to getting an ipod .. that integration is great :-)

Chris
alex

Post by alex »

I'm debating with myself whether to opt for the bluetooth phone thing or not (kinda ot), but I'm not 100% sure if it works... Would be kinda cool to have an iPhone both for calling and opening songs on the dash. :clap:

Atleast I'll opt for the ipod connector and buy an ipod touch... next best alternative to the satnav with the 30gb hdd..
danbailey77
In: Rising Blue
Options: Sat Nav with Dynaudio, Parking Sensors, Winter Pack, Folding Mirrors, Cruise, Flat Tyre Indicator and mats.

Post by danbailey77 »

From what i've heard the iphone doesn't wotk with the VW kit - has to have rSAP capability.

I've done some comparisons and would recommend that you use a portable hd instead of the Ipod. The sound quality is better, it works faster and remembers the folder you are in after you switch off the engine.

1. Sound quality - i know this was discussed in another thread but the ipod as far as i can tell is not a digital connection. The aux level changes the volume and if it was a digital connection it would have no effect. You also lose a lot of mid and warmth compared to a hd or flash drive connected.

2. Works faster, you can scan between folders/artists much quicker.

3. On the Ipod you have to start from the main menu after switching off. So if you have a lot of artists on it can take a while to find where you were.

Hope this helps. Please don't quote me on the ipod not being digital but from what i've tried it makes sense. Also the stereo can't read AAC files so must use the Ipod to play these and send sudio down an analog cable.
iAmbu
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: Factory fit: Black Vienna leather, Dynaudio, 19" Lugano alloys

Retro-fitted: H&R springs, REVO Stage 1, OEM VW parking sensors with OPS, RNS-510 sat nav, Video In Motion, FISCON Basic Plus Bluetooth, TPMS

Post by iAmbu »

So if I have my entire music collection in iTunes (some tracks imported from CD, some bought from iTunes Music Store), and I put these onto an external HD to connect to the 'roc, won't the purchased tracks be locked and un-playable?
iAmbu
2.0 TDi (170) - revo - STAGE 1