Day Driving Lights

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
dchuraman
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Rising Blue
With a: DSG box

Re: Day Driving Lights

Post by dchuraman »

is that what the manual says? On the golf i drove for a while, if it was set to be on, then they would just stay on after turning the car off, and getting out and locking it, for as long as you had them set
pimp my roc
In: Candy White
Options: Panna,truffle,winter pack

Post by pimp my roc »

Follow me Home Lights
Thats right you have to flash main beam after you take the key out, make a bit of a nonsense out of 'automatic' though.........
dchuraman

Post by dchuraman »

oh right, thats odd then, even my seat leon 06 did it automatically.
danbailey77
Options: Sat Nav with Dynaudio, Parking Sensors, Winter Pack, Folding Mirrors, Cruise, Flat Tyre Indicator and mats.

Post by danbailey77 »

Got my DRLs turned off by the dealer today. Didn't take long. They said that they will compulsary on all cars from 2010 and from now all VWs will have them. If the buyer wants to turn themoff they will do it on anything registered before 2010. Now the auto lights make sense!
drnick
With a: Manual box
Options: leather, Nav, Park sensors

Post by drnick »

I got the place which installed my Bluetooth to disable them, apparently it's simply a case of unchecking a box on VAG-COM. Must say I prefer it without them on as some people seemed to think it was attention seeking! (as if we need to use headlights to attract attention in our 'Rocs)
easybreeze
In: Candy White
Options: Parking Sensors
Smokers Pack

Post by easybreeze »

drnick wrote:I got the place which installed my Bluetooth
:? details? I didn't get bluetooth as it was soooo expensive! :faint:
Arrived 23rd March '09 - Lovin' it
drnick
Options: leather, Nav, Park sensors

Post by drnick »

have a look at the Mod Squad thread 'Handsfree for RNS510'
Kev
Administrator
Options: Leather, cruise, parking sensors, folding mirrors, flat tyre indicator
Sadly replaced in Nov '16 by a TTS!

Post by Kev »

What are the different light options available as I keep seeing different combos of lights in different pictures.

I know these are Xenons but

This picture shows just the inner pair of lights on
http://www.media.oneighturbo.com/vw/Mod ... hturbo.jpg

And this shows the outer pair, plus the fogs plus the little lights by the indicators
http://www.media.oneighturbo.com/vw/Mod ... hturbo.jpg

Even though I don't really need them I'm pondering using my VAT discount to pay for 70% of the Xenons.
Bagwafu
In: Deep Black
Options: Truffle, Panroof, Both Sensors, Cruise, Dynaudio, Lecky Seat, Mats, Pedals, Sills, Steering Wheel GT Insert and LifeShine. Parrot Bluetooth. GTI Fast.

Now with APS Remap and Milltek Cat Back Non Resonated

Post by Bagwafu »

I have just put Phillips Exteme bulbs in mine - nice and bright. £42 ish for 4 H7 bulbs off Ebay. Bargain .......
gossa
Options: Scirocco's gone, MKVI GTI is replacement.

Post by gossa »

Bagwafu wrote:I have just put Phillips Exteme bulbs in mine - nice and bright. £42 ish for 4 H7 bulbs off Ebay. Bargain .......
Has it made any difference? I fitted them recently in my Vito and was dissapointed but if you can see a difference i might try them out.
Bagwafu
Options: Truffle, Panroof, Both Sensors, Cruise, Dynaudio, Lecky Seat, Mats, Pedals, Sills, Steering Wheel GT Insert and LifeShine. Parrot Bluetooth. GTI Fast.

Now with APS Remap and Milltek Cat Back Non Resonated

Post by Bagwafu »

Certainly the main beam is brighter - difficult to say with dipped beam due to so much water around - and I only drove at dusk not totally dark - will experiment over the weekend and report back.
gossa
Options: Scirocco's gone, MKVI GTI is replacement.

Post by gossa »

Bagwafu wrote:Certainly the main beam is brighter - difficult to say with dipped beam due to so much water around - and I only drove at dusk not totally dark - will experiment over the weekend and report back.
Cheers. My bro in law has the Philips bulbs in his A3 and we have put the cars next to each other and the standard VW lights look brighter than his upgraded ones. However the reflectors behind the bulb look a lot better in the dub and the A3 is an 05 so the lenses are a bit weathered.

Very interested in your results Bagwafu
arlurt
I drive a: R-Line
Options: Changes will be made...
Puddle lights, Cruise and Reversing Camera on the cards.

Post by arlurt »

Hi All,

Hoping to resurect this thread as the Daylight Running Lights are the one thing on my car that really annoys me. :grumpy:

I went back to the dealer on Saturday to get them switched off, but the (recently upgraded) VAG-COM software doesn't have an option to deactivate them. The mechanic went through most of the pages with me stood next to him and there just doesn't appear to be a switch.

Their initial view was to question why I wanted them switching off. I'm the customer, there's no legal requirement (yet), so I'm right. The auto-lights function should get round the idiots who drive without lights in the dark, and I don't want to be lit up like a Christmas Tree on sunny days.

I see on here that quite a lot of you have had the DRLs switch off, and that others really like their DRLs. I wonder if that's an age thing? I've done the on-line age survey and was surprosed to find I'm towards the top end of the scale, though until now I hadn't thought of myself as an "Old Duffer"... ;)

Anyway, those of you in favour of switching off your DRLs, could you tell me what the dealer did, as mine seems unable to achieve this without help...
CTRnutter
In: Reflex Silver
Options: Winter Pack, Leather, Alu Pedals, GT Steering Wheel Badge, Side Sills, Superchips Re-Map, Milltek Non-Res, K&N Induction Kit

Post by CTRnutter »

arlurt wrote:Hi All,

Hoping to resurect this thread as the Daylight Running Lights are the one thing on my car that really annoys me. :grumpy:

I went back to the dealer on Saturday to get them switched off, but the (recently upgraded) VAG-COM software doesn't have an option to deactivate them. The mechanic went through most of the pages with me stood next to him and there just doesn't appear to be a switch.

Their initial view was to question why I wanted them switching off. I'm the customer, there's no legal requirement (yet), so I'm right. The auto-lights function should get round the idiots who drive without lights in the dark, and I don't want to be lit up like a Christmas Tree on sunny days.

I see on here that quite a lot of you have had the DRLs switch off, and that others really like their DRLs. I wonder if that's an age thing? I've done the on-line age survey and was surprosed to find I'm towards the top end of the scale, though until now I hadn't thought of myself as an "Old Duffer"... ;)

Anyway, those of you in favour of switching off your DRLs, could you tell me what the dealer did, as mine seems unable to achieve this without help...

Its not an age thing I'm 26 in a couple of months but I'm aware that it'll soon be law for all new cars to be fitted and have DRL's I'd rather my car looked like a new car and not an old one ;) Also anything that makes other road users aware of my presence is a good thing.

I have heard through the grapevine that they are changing the software on the newer cars to stop DRL's being switched off, and VW UK are requesting dealerships to stop turning the feature off.

Either way matey hope you get them sorted if it will make your ownership more enjoyable :)
Car is now Sold!!!!! BMW 7 Series for now as nice and big but holding out for something a little special as my toy :)
TurboTrev

Post by TurboTrev »

Desperately want my drls off as well, think I'll take a trip to the dealership to see what they say.
morrissey
Options: Golf R, 3 door, manual, leather, sunroof, 19" alloys, ACC, cruise, comfort and storage packs

Post by morrissey »

Had my DRLs deactivated,

I can now control the lighting - I default to side lights rather than full on headlights as per DRL default.
Can also use Auto, especially when driving into the garage :)
dchuraman

Post by dchuraman »

had mine turned off last week, but they did say it took them forever to find out how to do it, couldnt find the option in the system, but they managed to do it eventually, dont know how they got round it but so much better now. The auto function has a purpose finally!
CTRnutter
In: Reflex Silver
Options: Winter Pack, Leather, Alu Pedals, GT Steering Wheel Badge, Side Sills, Superchips Re-Map, Milltek Non-Res, K&N Induction Kit

Post by CTRnutter »

Why do you guys prefer them disabled we have had plenty of questions why you would have them enabled?

I cant see more benefits to having them disabled than having them enabled and even maybe depreciating the value of the car by removing a feature which is soon being made law!!!

Not having a dig but I am interested to hear the reasons why? :)
Car is now Sold!!!!! BMW 7 Series for now as nice and big but holding out for something a little special as my toy :)
arlurt
I drive a: R-Line
Options: Changes will be made...
Puddle lights, Cruise and Reversing Camera on the cards.

Post by arlurt »

First the reasoned argument...

As a biker I'd prefer DRLs to be the exception rather than the norm so that drivers have a double-take when they see a head light and think a little more before pulling out. If every vehicle has them then any perceived advantage now will quickly be lost when every vehicle has them.

Getting less reasoned...

I think the implementation of DRLs on the Scirocco is half-hearted. The Audi LED DRLs look to have had some thought put into them, if you like them or not. VW just turned all the lights on all the time. And if they're such a good idea why does selecting side-lights turn the headlights off?

And finally without reason...

I want to choose when the light are on, and when they're not. I quite like the "auto-lights" function idea, but it does nothing if the light are on all the time anyway.
silver130
In: Indium Grey
Options: Indium Grey. 2.0 GT. DSG. Panoramic Sunroof. Dynaudio. Rear Parking Sensors. Bluetooth Hands Free. Cruise Control.
Aluminium Pedals. Sill Trims. Premium Mats.
Now Gone. Scirocco 2.0 GT Manual
Rising Blue Paint. Dynaudio.Premium Mats. aluminium Pedals. Sill Trims. R32 Gearknob.

Post by silver130 »

I too think it was a half hearted attempt at DRL'S. In principal I totally agree with them. A much better approach would have been the lights on the Studie R concept with the row of led's. At least then the "Auto Function lights" would have actually been an AUTO function not the total waste of time they are.. :grumpy: :grumpy: :grumpy:
Rant over :shake:
IF IT'S NOT BROKEN
I'VE NOT TOUCHED IT YET !!