Day Driving Lights

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
pimp my roc
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Panna,truffle,winter pack

Day Driving Lights

Post by pimp my roc »

Who's got em on?
Who's had then turned off?
Good or bad?
sir_rocco
In: Reflex Silver

Re: Day Driving Lights

Post by sir_rocco »

Mine are on as they came out the factory. I am considering turning them off as I think they could single you out during the daytime. Not good if theres a scam van around and you are pushing on a bit. :shrug:
Taken delivery : Silver, DSG, NAV, Black Leather, Park Sensors, Winter pack.

Mods: Full Milltek, KW lowering springs,Wheel Spacers, Remapped to 258BHP, 405Nm
wigit
Options: I used to own one

Post by wigit »

must try to get mine turned off before saturday, share your thoughts sir_rocco, not that i'd consider pushing it of course
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
pimp my roc
Options: Panna,truffle,winter pack

Post by pimp my roc »

Is it true that the rear lights are not on during DRL (Day Running Lights) coz that sounds dangerous (cant be arsed to get out a walk around the back to check if they are on or off) because the DRL are just dipped headlights it would be so easy in town to drive at night with them on instead of propper dipped lights. My dealer says he cannot turn them off. has anyone got them off??
Kev
Administrator
In: Rising Blue
Options: Leather, cruise, parking sensors, folding mirrors, flat tyre indicator
Sadly replaced in Nov '16 by a TTS!

Post by Kev »

I'm pretty sure only the front ones are on for DRLs.
hosk

Post by hosk »

I though there was a fault and that's why my lights were on all the time, lol, that's saved me a trip back to the dealer.

If you want to remain a little more subtle during the day just put the side lights on.
iroc
In: Deep Black
Options: Black Leather, Pano Roof, Winter Pack, Mats, Sat Nav, Prem Sills.
Now Sold

Post by iroc »

I thought it was just the front's but just checked and it's the rears as well. :shrug:
adamj
In: Pewter Grey
With a: Manual box
Options: Metallic paint,mats, prem sills, Merlin Cloth, Hatchbag and a nice stone chip on the bonnet.

Post by adamj »

Whats the point of the auto headlights then if the DRL are on front and rear? :?
Kev
Administrator
Options: Leather, cruise, parking sensors, folding mirrors, flat tyre indicator
Sadly replaced in Nov '16 by a TTS!

Post by Kev »

I hope the spares depts have a lot of bulbs in!
I don't quite get the point of the rears being on.
Andy-GTI
Options: R

Post by Andy-GTI »

Why the major problem on this site about the lights??

Its no different to running with the sidelights / dip on??

I ALWAYS have my dip lights on when driving any car. anything that makes you more visible to the nobbers on the roads is a good thing.
rehmondo
Options: Leather • Winter • Sunroof • Cruise • DAB • Park • Tyre • Mirrors • Mats • Mudflaps • Prem Sills • Pedals • Jewelultra Diamondbrite • Bluefin Remap • Carbonio CAI • LED Pack

Post by rehmondo »

I don't have a problem with DRLS, except for this, last night I was in my new car, looking at the manual for the stereo as my iPod wouldn't work, anyway, I put the key into the ignition and moved it to position 1 (not started engine), the lights were on 0 yet they came on!!! That's annoying because I only wanted the stereo to come on etc the lights being on would use the battery more no?

I thought I had a problem with my car, but after reading this topic it now makes sense much to my relief, much to the annoyance of my neighbours as tonight my lights will be pointing at their house again for no apparent reason whilst i'm sat in my car!
heavymetalmayhem
Options: Leather, DSG, premium mats.

Post by heavymetalmayhem »

rehmondo wrote:I don't have a problem with DRLS, except for this, last night I was in my new car, looking at the manual for the stereo as my iPod wouldn't work, anyway, I put the key into the ignition and moved it to position 1 (not started engine), the lights were on 0 yet they came on!!! That's annoying because I only wanted the stereo to come on etc the lights being on would use the battery more no?

I thought I had a problem with my car, but after reading this topic it now makes sense much to my relief, much to the annoyance of my neighbours as tonight my lights will be pointing at their house again for no apparent reason whilst i'm sat in my car!
The stereo works without the key in the ignition.

Has anybody tried deactivating the daylight driving lights themselves as per page 57 of the manual - 'Move the turn signal and main beam lever both down and to the rear (left-hand turn signal and headlight flash) at the same time and hold it in this position. Turn the ignition on for 3 secounds and then switch it off again'

Once the daylight driving lights are deactivated they cannot be switched on again.

This may not work as it does say elsewhere that the daylight driving lights can not be switched off. I don't want to try it as I think I will keep mine on.
iroc
Now Sold

Post by iroc »

That method of turning the lights off applies to vehicles where the DRL's are an option. In the UK they are standard and can't be turned off.
wullie636
In: Salsa Red
With a: Manual box
Options: dynaudio dab leather mats premium sills

Post by wullie636 »

I tried it but it didn't work and nothing else happened
heavymetalmayhem
Options: Leather, DSG, premium mats.

Post by heavymetalmayhem »

Thanks - I don't think its very clear in the manual or maybe it's just me!

I've been playing about with the other settings this evening and was wondering if you have to flash the beams every time you turn off the ignition to activate the 'comming home lights' ? I'm sure the Golf the missus had a couple years back used to have comming home lights come on automaticaly.

I changed the settings so that the leaving home lights and comming home lights stay on for 60 seconds, also increased the footwell lighting and changed the central locking so that it opens the passanger door aswell as the driver's door with a single click of the fob.
iroc
Now Sold

Post by iroc »

No it's not you, I spent ages re-reading the manual but ended up trying it anyway. :doh:
danbailey77
Options: Sat Nav with Dynaudio, Parking Sensors, Winter Pack, Folding Mirrors, Cruise, Flat Tyre Indicator and mats.

Post by danbailey77 »

So, has anyone had the DRLs turned off? Is it difficult?

Just think its odd that they are always on, but if you go to sidelights they turn off and just a small bulb in the bumper comes on?

And whats the point of autolights?

Thanks, Dan
wigit
Options: I used to own one

Post by wigit »

i've started using the side light option having ventured past auto, they are far more discreet, drls are a bit too in your face and look at me for my liking and wearing thin, also enjoying the random acts of the automatic wipers and wondering when they will wake up and sweep the last few days
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
dchuraman

Post by dchuraman »

i asked my dealer to turn mine off, though they apparently didnt do it, although now i notice that the coming home lights dont work, its all set up the same as the leaving home lights, whcih work correctly, but when i take the key out the ignition, the lights go off. I cant get them to stay on any way, so i only can assume that the dealer actually dsiable the coming home lights rather than the day lights.
Can anyone confirm the coming home ones work correctly?
Thanks
silver130
In: Indium Grey
Options: Indium Grey. 2.0 GT. DSG. Panoramic Sunroof. Dynaudio. Rear Parking Sensors. Bluetooth Hands Free. Cruise Control.
Aluminium Pedals. Sill Trims. Premium Mats.
Now Gone. Scirocco 2.0 GT Manual
Rising Blue Paint. Dynaudio.Premium Mats. aluminium Pedals. Sill Trims. R32 Gearknob.

Post by silver130 »

dchuraman wrote:i asked my dealer to turn mine off, though they apparently didnt do it, although now i notice that the coming home lights dont work, its all set up the same as the leaving home lights, whcih work correctly, but when i take the key out the ignition, the lights go off. I cant get them to stay on any way, so i only can assume that the dealer actually dsiable the coming home lights rather than the day lights.
Can anyone confirm the coming home ones work correctly?
Thanks
You have to blip the main beam before you get out then the coming home function will work for however long you have set them for.. :? :? :?
IF IT'S NOT BROKEN
I'VE NOT TOUCHED IT YET !!