Scirocco Van - updated after Spa-Ring pictures

The place to share pictures and impressions of your new arrival or just show off your motor.
gusci
In: Sumatra
With a: DSG box
Options: Lowered, 19" alloys, multimedia/sports/DK pack, DAB, black leather, no back seats!

Re: Scirocco Van - updated after Spa-Ring pictures

Post by gusci »

A friend's wedding in Bolton and some time off and not least the car inspired me to do the journey by car, 4200km round trip. The car was far more comfortable as a long distance cruiser than I imagined. It was a pleasure to drive in 3-4 hour stints unlike anything I've tried before. Also the Autobahns let me stretch her legs. If anyone fancies trying anything up to 220km/h very smooth, hit 230 before a lack of clear road and sense took hold, it's one hell of an impressive car.

I was also lucky enough to get a full day on the Nurburgring too, it's an amazing experience and I recommend it to you all. The Scirocco also seems to be the new car of choice for the rental firms there, I can see why. It's a hell of a thrill but without going too crazy the car has a lot more to give than my driving, those I took for a drive were might impressed and even amongst the Ferraris and 100s of 911s she got quite a lot of attention :yes:

Coming back I was even more lucky Spa Farncorchamps was open for a track day, though far more sanitised than the Ring, perhaps a little too much it's a great place to push her, some of the in field is incredible, really saw how much the Scirocco can take. Very very very impressed there, again if you have a Scirocco you really have to try this. It's really makes the car come alive.

From Spa, sorry some of the pics were taken in the wrong camera mode so quality isn't the best.

And finally from the Ring coming out of the mini Caroussel,

It had to be done:
pafa
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
With a: Manual box
Options: Winter Pack
Sports Pack
Cruise Control
Parking Sensors Rear
Electricable Foldable Door Mirrors
Carpets
Exterior Badge Deletion
RCD 510 Dynaudio Soundpack
Flat Tyre Indicator
2 Zone Electronic Climate Control
Rear Tinted Windows

Post by pafa »

Coolest stickers ever! :-)
Candy Monster
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White
Options: Leather, Parking Sensors, Electric Folding Mirrors, Flat Tyre Indicator, DVD Nav, Premium Sills, Alloy pedals, Boot Liner, Custom GT Mats, GT badge, 20s, Cruise, R32 trim, Silver 'A pieces', debadged, White VW badges, Eibach springs, Revo, custom enginge cover, custom air dam, orange rub strips

Post by Candy Monster »

looks beautiful on the track 8) :yes:
tjanum
Options: (in Denmark)
18" Interlagos, ACC, RNS 510 Navi+Dynaudio, Rear tinted windows, Multifunction leather steering wheel, 2Zone electronic climate control, Carpet mats, Flat tyre indicator, Parking sencors, Electrically foldable door mirrors, Bluetooth Preminum, Xenon (range adjustable), Rain sensor, auto-dimming rear view mirror, coming/leaving home lighting function, Alarm with interior protection, Media-In, Catch up/Alcantara upholstery

Post by tjanum »

It is absolutely wonderful looking at the track. I took my rocco to Sicily this summer, and had I had time for it, I would definitely had gone to Nürbergring. After seeing yours there, I'm kicking myself for not going there.

On the autobahn I took it to the top. The needle turned 250, but my handheld GPS showed 239 km/h. I had about 60 kg of dead weight in the back though. I actually didn't feel any loss of grip at that speed, but then it was on a straight stretch with no lane shifting, because there were hardly no other cars. I actually did it between to petrol stations (31 km) and found, that at full throttle it gives me 2,9 km/l :). Did you by any chance notice your fuel consumption on Nürbergring?

FYI, if you ever plan on going east or south, be sure to plan for extra stops. I went to Prague on my way to Sicily and both in the Czech Republic and Italy I was stopped by the Police several times, and let me tell you, they weren't at all interested in me or my papers :). And for the past 4 years I've been going to the south of Europe every summer and never been pulled over once.

Let me know if you plan to go to Nürbergring again. I'm game :)
retboell
Options: New replacement RNS-510, Dynaudio, Sunroof, ACC, xenon, sport-package (upholstry, alloy pedals, etc.), winter pack, climatronic, parking sensor, media-in, cruise control, rain sensor, flat tyre indicator, multi fuction steering wheel, 18" interlagos , 17" Spa for winter tyres.

Post by retboell »

How does this track driving work, insurance wise?
I have been looking around at different insurance companies, and it seems that noone offers coverage on track driving? Seems like high stakes for a Scirocco owner...

Looks great, by the way!
gusci
Options: Lowered, 19" alloys, multimedia/sports/DK pack, DAB, black leather, no back seats!

Post by gusci »

Thanks guys, always nice to hear what you think.

Insurance wise I'm quite lucky and it wasn't an issue... for the Nurburgring it is only a toll road so unless it is expressly stated in your insurance that you aren't covered on the ring you should be ok, worth calling of course. For a day at spa on any other track worth checking again, the RIng is the one to go for anyway, important to stay within your own abilities, this guide was really useful http://www.heiser.net/documents/nurburgring/

That's a great story Tjanum :) sounds like you really really went some to get that from the car, I was carrying 30-40 in the back and you're right it was really stable. Unfortunately I wanted to know I had a lot or breaking room in front of me and usually someone would pull over. Curses!

Interesting hearing your stories about being pulled over, it reminded me of mine! :-) Going through customs I got a lot of questions, at first I thought they believed I looked dodgy, which I probably do but also lots of nice questions about the car. Pulling up at a services this elderly German couple pulled up and in the most perfect English asked if I was enjoying the car, then thanked me for talking to them. The best was rolling on the ring the second time and getting pulled over, You can imagine I was nervous enough and then got questions about the car, the lack of seats and then a smile, "nice car, cheers mate". Was great :) Something this fun shouldn't be this liked :)

I definitely think a trip again next year should be on the cards so sounds a great idea to me, can't have you driving past again :)
wigit
Options: I used to own one

Post by wigit »

forum trip to the ring next year then :yummy:

most uk insurance policies exclude it
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
gusci

Post by gusci »

A scirocco take over would be great, but the 911's in their place :)

I was very lucky to be covered, no one seems to check so you can do it at your own risk but I wouldn't recommend it at all, you're vunerable to the mistakes of others as much as yourself. I'm sure someone must offer short term cover.
drnick
In: Rising Blue
Options: leather, Nav, Park sensors

Post by drnick »

Picture 4 above is excellent :yes:
ChrisL
I drive a: R-Line
In: Viper Green
Options: Bi-Xenons, Badge deletion, Parking sensors, Mobile phone prep, 19" Lugano, RNS510, Pan Sunroof, Cruise control, Elec mirros, Vienna Black Leather, electric seat controls, Sound Package. August 2013

Post by ChrisL »

Could you say more about what else is added with the Danish 'van' option ? I presume the driver's guard is one but is there any different floor panels etc ? And if you did get to know and pass on the VW order code, I could harass the UK dealer for it !
bianco
In: Deep Black
Options: All except sunroof, ACC, Dynaudio & rear seats. Lowered a bit for the looks :-)

Post by bianco »

The Roc is delivered stock with four seats to the Danish importer. He then removes the seats, and install the van floor and guard (of his own design).
RW1
Legend
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

Do you think the importer may do a kit to send out? Any contact details?

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!