Short whistling sound when accelerating...

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
Chillout
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Viper Green
With a: Manual box
Options: 1.4TSI Stage 1++(~220BHP), sunroof, 18" Interlagos, black interior rooflining, premium leather multifunctional steering wheel, electronic mirrors, tinted rear windows, footwell lighting, fog lights, coming/leaving home, mats, smokers pack, media-connection, cruise control and lots more...

Re: Short whistling sound when accelerating...

Post by Chillout »

well, a whistle from the supercharger is natural... but this one isn't!
did you give him a demonstration of the sound?
RyanLincoln
In: Rising Blue
Options: Revo Stage 1, 18''Interlagos, Multifunction steering wheel with GT badge, DVD Navigation system with Dynaudio, Electric folding door mirrors, Rear parking sensors, Fog lamps, rear tinted windows, flat tyre ind, premium mats, alloy pedals.

Post by RyanLincoln »

I did, he explained that I had nothing to worry about and that VW said it was a natural sound from the car and nothing could be done about it.

Everything else about my roc is fab bar this.
Revo Stage 1
maisbitt
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: Parking Sensors, Smokers Pack (for aesthetics), R gearstick, R pedals, Sliding cup holder cover.

Post by maisbitt »

Ryan - hello sand-dancer! i'm from over the water in North Shields!
2013 - Tornado Red MK7 Golf GTD on order
2011-2013 - Rising Blue 170GT
2009-2011 - Pewter Roc 140GT
2007-2009 - Tornado Red Golf 170TDI GT
2005-2007 - Black Pearl Golf 140TDI GT
2003-2005 - Black Pearl Polo 1.9TDI
RyanLincoln
Options: Revo Stage 1, 18''Interlagos, Multifunction steering wheel with GT badge, DVD Navigation system with Dynaudio, Electric folding door mirrors, Rear parking sensors, Fog lamps, rear tinted windows, flat tyre ind, premium mats, alloy pedals.

Post by RyanLincoln »

Hello - North Shieldser :D

You enjoying your Roc then? or was that a stupid question.
Revo Stage 1
Candy Monster
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White
Options: Leather, Parking Sensors, Electric Folding Mirrors, Flat Tyre Indicator, DVD Nav, Premium Sills, Alloy pedals, Boot Liner, Custom GT Mats, GT badge, 20s, Cruise, R32 trim, Silver 'A pieces', debadged, White VW badges, Eibach springs, Revo, custom enginge cover, custom air dam, orange rub strips

Post by Candy Monster »

Sounds like something dump valve related to me. From those videos the sound seems to happen when the drivers lift off the accellerator to change gear. Maybe an aftermarket dump valve could fix it (though you'd get more of a woosh sound than a squeak). Does look annoying.
maisbitt
Options: Parking Sensors, Smokers Pack (for aesthetics), R gearstick, R pedals, Sliding cup holder cover.

Post by maisbitt »

I thought the squeak had been established as clutch disengagment on the supercharger when the turbo kicks in???

Either that or you have a spuggie under your accelerator pedal!
Chillout
Options: 1.4TSI Stage 1++(~220BHP), sunroof, 18" Interlagos, black interior rooflining, premium leather multifunctional steering wheel, electronic mirrors, tinted rear windows, footwell lighting, fog lights, coming/leaving home, mats, smokers pack, media-connection, cruise control and lots more...

Post by Chillout »

Candy Monster wrote:Sounds like something dump valve related to me. From those videos the sound seems to happen when the drivers lift off the accellerator to change gear. Maybe an aftermarket dump valve could fix it (though you'd get more of a woosh sound than a squeak). Does look annoying.
no it's not when the foot goes up, it's when the foot goes down after shifting...

and yes, it's annoying, especially when driving in an urban area with the windows down, and hearing the sound bounce off the buildings :(
RyanLincoln

Post by RyanLincoln »

The noice definitely occurs when the foot goes down after shifting!

My car is the dealership on Monday for a check up on the noice, I will let you know if there is any new developments!

Ryan
Revo Stage 1
Chillout

Post by Chillout »

Everybody also read this topic:
http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... f=2&t=2056

(maybe a mod can join these two topics together...)
rhcp128
In: Sumatra

Post by rhcp128 »

Today I was at my dealer for the same problem he said that VW have issued an internal bulletin and the culprit was a small pulley (i don't know the exact term) that connects the water coolant pump to the main drive belt. They are currently looking into getting out a new part that will correct the problem, apparently after this happens there will be a recall on the affected cars and the part will be replaced...
RyanLincoln

Post by RyanLincoln »

I'll mention this to my dealer on Monday and see if he can shed a little light on the matter!
Revo Stage 1
Dilliadis
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box

Post by Dilliadis »

I ve just my roc and at 1500 Km it makes the same sound. The dealer said the same thing that is the supercharge and its normal. It is an annoying sound. They said that they can replace some magnets there but the sound will come back eventually. I am thinking of replacing the part they suggested.
RyanLincoln

Post by RyanLincoln »

I think it may be a while before a solution is finalized, I dont think VW actually know where the noice is coming from themselves. Hope I'm wrong though!

Will be interesting to see what Mr. VW says on Monday when he gives my car the once over, fingers crossed!
Revo Stage 1
NYHC
In: Deep Black
Options: Panoramic Sun Roof, Cruise Control, Tyre Pressure Indicator, Park Pilot

Post by NYHC »

I dont experience it all the time , its weird i need to drive the car around tonight when its not as busy to hear it better.
RyanLincoln

Post by RyanLincoln »

Update on the squeeking noice...

Had my car into the dealer this morning to check on the squeeking noice and report as follows:

VW's Technical background
As the water pump builds up with solenoid clutch, the one piece anchorage plate on the outer pulley starts to vibrate. The volume of the noice depends on the operating conditions.

If the complaint can be reproduced with these tests (not sure which test they are talking about), explain to the customer that this noice is normal and that no damage to the compressor clutch will occur after the warranty period.

Currently no effective repair possible :grumpy:
Revo Stage 1
rhcp128
In: Sumatra

Post by rhcp128 »

yeap more or less the same bul*shit that my dealer told me... I am so angry, today I went to ask if they could fit the tyre pressure monitors to my car and the head guy from the dealership came to me and started explaining (without me having asked as we had talked about this last week) about the sound, why it came, that it was currently considered "normal"!!! and that maybe there would be a solution some time in the future... :grumpy: this is getting ridiculous! This noise is not normal, I paid a lot of money for this stupid car and I'm getting fed up! I'm seriously considering selling it and getting something else! :grumpy: :grumpy: :grumpy:
RyanLincoln

Post by RyanLincoln »

I really do sympathise with you rhcp128, that noice is certainly not NORMAL...It is VERY ANNOYING :cry: ! It sounds like the car is f*cked more than anything else.

I think that everyone who has this problem should continue to complain to their VW dealership, explaining that your not at all happy with it. At the moment I get the impression that they (VW) are hoping that we will all just get used to the noice and eventually stop bothering them about it...hope i'm wrong though!

If anyone out there has any new updates then please let us know!
Revo Stage 1
maisbitt

Post by maisbitt »

Maybe the chirping noise will enable the Scirocco to become the car of choice with bird-twitchers.

First person to see Bill Oddie in one wins a prize.
RyanLincoln

Post by RyanLincoln »

As a result of this little bird noice below my right foot, I may call my car the....Roc'y Robin :D
Revo Stage 1
Chillout

Post by Chillout »

sounds better than tweety!