Short whistling sound when accelerating...

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
cnzlp

Short whistling sound when accelerating...

Post by cnzlp »

Hi everybody,

I noticed a problem on my roc recently and wanted to know if someone knows anything about it.. I got a manual 1.4 tsi and im on 10.000 km. I noticed this whistling sound recently and it happens when i hit the gas pedal rapidly trying to accelerate fast (while the car is on gear and im not pressing the gas pedal).. the car fails to accelerate immediately, makes a short whistle (nothing like the turbo whistle, more like a short squeaky whistle that lasts 1 second) and then accelerates.. i took my roc to my dealer they said there was some dirt on the exhaust valves and the problem was fixed after they cleaned it.. i took the car back everything was ok,, i even noticed a better performance, the delay in acceleration was gone.. but!! the day after the whistling started again.. this time it happens when i drive on traffic. when the clutch grabs (sorry im not english i dont really know the exact term for that, what im trying to say is as soon as i pull my feet from the clutch and the engine is connected to the gearbox) i hear the same whistle but its a bit less noisy.. i was thinking there could be a problem with the clutch or gearbox, the mechanic i talked to didnt really know what the problem was when i took the car for the first time.. they thought the dirt could be the problem after they examined the car.. when i hear the sound it really hurts me coz i feel like im damaging something and my rocco hurts! if anybody got an idea about whats the problem pls help me...

thanks
Chillout
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Viper Green
With a: Manual box
Options: 1.4TSI Stage 1++(~220BHP), sunroof, 18" Interlagos, black interior rooflining, premium leather multifunctional steering wheel, electronic mirrors, tinted rear windows, footwell lighting, fog lights, coming/leaving home, mats, smokers pack, media-connection, cruise control and lots more...

Re: Short whistling sound when accelerating...

Post by Chillout »

Does it sound like theres a bird underneath your gas pedal?
Mine seems to have the same,I noticed tonight...

is this the 'noisy turbo recall' problem?
Deacon
Options: Tuned 1.4tsi - gone but not forgotten!

Post by Deacon »

Chillout wrote:Does it sound like theres a bird underneath your gas pedal?
Mine seems to have the same,I noticed tonight...

is this the 'noisy turbo recall' problem?
I have this too - although I think it sounds more like treading on a small rodent rather than a bird....

I also noticed it seems to go away after a while into the journey - maybe a squeaky accelerator hinge?

Deacon
playing in my '86
rako
In: Candy White
Options: Parking Sensors, Alarm, Climatronic, Winter Pack, Mirror Pack, Multifunction Steering Wheel, Smoking Pack, Sport Pack, 18'' Interlagos, Dynaudio, Badgeless Back

Post by rako »

Aggghrh...damn VW...I knew I shouldn't have gone for it, I knew something would come :lol:

There are so so soooo many people reporting this problem now.
I guess you must be talking about this:
[youtube][/youtube] ??

If anyone speaks French - here is more info:
http://www.vw-scirocco.fr/forum/viewtop ... =10&t=1176
http://www.forum-auto.com/marques/volks ... et8907.htm

If you feel stronger in German a little bit information here:
http://www.michaelneuhaus.de/scirocco/s ... obleme.htm

If none of the above then at least you must know an address for Google Translator : P

I also recommend googling for 1.4 TSI engine problems - same has been happening to Golf V, EOS, Tiguan etc. Basically all supercharged turbos have that and the bad news is that so far there is no solution to that problem and VW does not seem to recognize that as an issue.
Deacon

Post by Deacon »

rako wrote:Aggghrh...damn VW...I knew I shouldn't have gone for it, I knew something would come :lol:

There are so so soooo many people reporting this problem now.
I guess you must be talking about this:
[youtube][/youtube] ??

If anyone speaks French - here is more info:
http://www.vw-scirocco.fr/forum/viewtop ... =10&t=1176
http://www.forum-auto.com/marques/volks ... et8907.htm

If you feel stronger in German a little bit information here:
http://www.michaelneuhaus.de/scirocco/s ... obleme.htm

If none of the above then at least you must know an address for Google Translator : P

I also recommend googling for 1.4 TSI engine problems - same has been happening to Golf V, EOS, Tiguan etc. Basically all supercharged turbos have that and the bad news is that so far there is no solution to that problem and VW does not seem to recognize that as an issue.
Yep, that's exactly the problem. Reading the stuff on the German site it doesn't sound like it's a major problem just a feature of the supercharger clutch design. Bit irritating when you drive along and it 'cheeps' but good to know it's nothing serious.

Deacon
playing in my '86
Turbo
Options: 17"donington's, premium floor mats, half leather, tinted windows, cruise control, black headlining, forge cold air intake, forge dump valve, h&r 35mm lowering springs, bluefin superchip, gt badge, blue vision bulbs, red brake calipers more soon hopefully

Post by Turbo »

ya thats the noise in my car so fcukin annoyin on long journeys
rako
Options: Parking Sensors, Alarm, Climatronic, Winter Pack, Mirror Pack, Multifunction Steering Wheel, Smoking Pack, Sport Pack, 18'' Interlagos, Dynaudio, Badgeless Back

Post by rako »

Did you all have that problem from the start?
If so, then I guess it can be considered as a normal feature of this engine.
If it happened after a certain distance driven, then imo this is nothing close to being normal.
Deacon

Post by Deacon »

rako wrote:Did you all have that problem from the start?
If so, then I guess it can be considered as a normal feature of this engine.
If it happened after a certain distance driven, then imo this is nothing close to being normal.
I've only covered around 1200 miles in my car. It wasn't there at the very start but has been there for probably two thirds of the miles I've covered. I've noticed it's not all the time and mostly at the start of jurneys before the cars properly warmed through.

Deacon
playing in my '86
Chillout
Options: 1.4TSI Stage 1++(~220BHP), sunroof, 18" Interlagos, black interior rooflining, premium leather multifunctional steering wheel, electronic mirrors, tinted rear windows, footwell lighting, fog lights, coming/leaving home, mats, smokers pack, media-connection, cruise control and lots more...

Post by Chillout »

same here, after 1800 km's this suddenly occurred...
Turbo
Options: 17"donington's, premium floor mats, half leather, tinted windows, cruise control, black headlining, forge cold air intake, forge dump valve, h&r 35mm lowering springs, bluefin superchip, gt badge, blue vision bulbs, red brake calipers more soon hopefully

Post by Turbo »

i have 11000km up and was grand at the start but my god it gets annoyin
Turbo

Post by Turbo »

right the lastest news is i brought my car into work thursday 2 c what they would do for me eventho i knew they prob would not do anything

the story is get onto vw everybody that has the prob because they know there is a prob but nothing 2 fix it so if enought people complain they will have 2 do something about it. its the soleniod on the supercharger opening thats makin the noise
Flux
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
With a: DSG box
Options: Leather, RNS 510, Dynaudio, Premium Mats, premium Sills, 2011 R Gear Knob, Beep Locking, DRL's to Auto.

Post by Flux »

Guys, It's the turbo, there isn't anything to worry about. If anything it's a healthy sound.

As the supercharger charges it sucks massive amount of gases in a smallish hole, and there is a little notch obstructing to circler hole thus creating a short whistle, however i've only ever noticed on diesels.
cnzlp

Post by cnzlp »

well im happy now that i got some answers.. and yes!! thats the noise im talking about.. i ve done 11000 km so far and the noise started at 9000 km. Did you guys talk to VW about this? Coz the mechanics at my dealer dont seem to recognise nore fix the problem.. they told me something completely irrelevant to what you guys said.. i also noticed that the performance of the car is not as good as before.. i dont know maybe thats just me but i cant see the top speed i used to see before.. same road and everything but the car doesnt go more than 220 km/h where i did 235km/h..

the noise is getting really annoying... what are we gonna do about this?? so many ppl already? if its nothing serious why it wasnt coming from the start??
Turbo

Post by Turbo »

as i said ring vw and complain they will have 2 do something about it if enough people complain
Chillout

Post by Chillout »

Flux wrote:Guys, It's the turbo, there isn't anything to worry about. If anything it's a healthy sound.

As the supercharger charges it sucks massive amount of gases in a smallish hole, and there is a little notch obstructing to circler hole thus creating a short whistle, however i've only ever noticed on diesels.
It's not the turbo. I know how a turbo sounds. It's a high pitched whistle yeah, but this is different... it's a short squeek, just check the Youtube movie in the post above to hear it yourself.
rako

Post by rako »

100% it is a problem but so far haven't heard about any solution.
Put some pressure on your dealers and let them know you're not happy about it.

Here's another one:
[youtube][/youtube]
Chillout

Post by Chillout »

rako wrote:100% it is a problem but so far haven't heard about any solution.
Put some pressure on your dealers and let them know you're not happy about it.
Wow, it's really annoying in that movie... in my own car it seems to happen only when the car is cold and not this much. But if there's no known solution... how can the dealer ever solve this?
rako

Post by rako »

There must be a solution. Even if it means whole engine replacement.
All I'm saying is that I haven't heard about any yet.
VW must acknowledge this as a failure first. Then treat it somehow.
If we don't let them know => no pressure => no reaction
cnzlp

Post by cnzlp »

İ talked to my dealer and the general distributor of my country (turkey). the guy from the distributor was working in germany for long time before he came back to turkey so he had good relations with germany.. anywayss.. Germany says that sound is coming from the coupling between the electromagnetic clutch and the supercharger. It is nothing that harms the engine or transmission. They said that they were working on a sofware change and also design modification on the supercharger. Obviously this is gonna take very long time and we shouldnt be worried about our engines. The only thing we could do is go to our dealers and tell them to report the problem to germany. as some others said the more we pressure the more they will concentrate on the problem. talking to this guy made me feel much better because he already knew the problem and he made me sure that germany was working on it.. he also made me listen to a sound file taken in the factory in germany.. soo... if i have to summarise, just go to your dealer, tell them to report to germany, and keep driving your rocco till we get some answers =) and dont be scared its nothing harmfull...

cheers
RyanLincoln
In: Rising Blue
Options: Revo Stage 1, 18''Interlagos, Multifunction steering wheel with GT badge, DVD Navigation system with Dynaudio, Electric folding door mirrors, Rear parking sensors, Fog lamps, rear tinted windows, flat tyre ind, premium mats, alloy pedals.

Post by RyanLincoln »

Hello

I have had my Rocco for just over a week now and I also experiance this noice. Its very very annoying!

I have spoken to the dealership about it, they are trying to tell me that its fine and just a natural sound from the supercharger. He is correct when he says the sound is natural, I have heard plenty of birds in my back garden make the same noice, thats got to be the only fecking natural thing about it :mad: Cars should not make noices like that.

Is their any more news on this noice yet? proposed solutions?
Revo Stage 1