A few questions about my recently bought Rocco...

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
Timmos1983
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Great tunes.

A few questions about my recently bought Rocco...

Post by Timmos1983 »

Good evening ladies and gents.

I picked up my new (59 plate) Scirocco on thursday and overall i am extremely pleased with it! I do however have a few questions as i am not 100% convinced some things are working correctly and i was hoping some of you guys could help me. (or tell me im being thick)

1) there seems to be a grind when moving into 5th gear. All other gears are fine, very smooth infact. Will this be a clutch problem or gearbox? Im hoping this wont cost me anything to fix, as its still within manufacturers warranty and like i said i only picked it up thursday so im hoping the dealer will sort it out. Would just like to know your opinions. (and no, i didnt pick up this problem when test driving the car)

2) the headlights will not go off unless i switch it to side lights only, even when set to point '0' on the knob. This isnt normal is it?

3) when im playing my iphone music through the system, sometimes when the track changes, the song on the touchscreen display remains the same as the song before. Is this a common problem?

Has anyone had any of these problems before? If so, any advice would be much appreciated before i goto VW about it.

Im assuming all of the above will be covered under the manufacturers warranty, am i right in thinking this?

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Timmos1983
IM THE GREATEST
Kev
Administrator
With a: DSG box
Options: Leather, cruise, parking sensors, folding mirrors, flat tyre indicator
Sadly replaced in Nov '16 by a TTS!

Re: A few questions about my recently bought Rocco...

Post by Kev »

Timmos1983 wrote:2) the headlights will not go off unless i switch it to side lights only, even when set to point '0' on the knob. This isnt normal is it?
Normal.
It's part of the new legislation for daytime running lights. I think they could have got away with just the little side lights but without looking at the law there might be a minimum requirement for light sizes.
Timmos1983 wrote:3) when im playing my iphone music through the system, sometimes when the track changes, the song on the touchscreen display remains the same as the song before. Is this a common problem?
Yep. Haven't seen a firmware fix for that yet.
Timmos1983

Post by Timmos1983 »

Ok, thanks matey. Think ill just have to switch onto side lights during daytime driving then, seems a bit daft having the main headlights on to me.

Do firmware fixes come out quite often for the stereo etc.?
IM THE GREATEST
Kev
Administrator
Options: Leather, cruise, parking sensors, folding mirrors, flat tyre indicator
Sadly replaced in Nov '16 by a TTS!

Post by Kev »

I switch over to the sidelights. Just becomes a habit after a few days.

VW don't seem overly rushed in getting fixes out for these things unfortunately. I just kind of got used to it, along with the bug that sometimes makes the first few seconds of a song skip a bit.
Timmos1983

Post by Timmos1983 »

Yes i have also noticed that! Weird! Ok if you manually skip the track, but from one track to the next its messes it up! Schoolboy error really! Its still a bloody mint car though! :nod:
IM THE GREATEST
MKAndy
Options: 19" Lugano Alloys, Smokers Pack, Parking Sensors, Folding Mirrors

Post by MKAndy »

Kev wrote:
Timmos1983 wrote:2) the headlights will not go off unless i switch it to side lights only, even when set to point '0' on the knob. This isnt normal is it?
Normal.
It's part of the new legislation for daytime running lights. I think they could have got away with just the little side lights but without looking at the law there might be a minimum requirement for light sizes.

You can still turn them off completely though can't you? I did it with my 59 plate, indicator down while holding the main beam on or something. It'll be hidden in the forum here somewhere.
Timmos1983 wrote:3) when im playing my iphone music through the system, sometimes when the track changes, the song on the touchscreen display remains the same as the song before. Is this a common problem?
Yep. Haven't seen a firmware fix for that yet.
I found an updated firmware somewhere for mine, and it did actually fix this problem, but didn't resolve lots of others, i.e there's not a smooth transition between tracks, it pauses a bit, then plays and sometimes it completely drops out and just says 'Aux' on the screen.
Deft
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Indium Grey
Options: Rear parking sensors

Post by Deft »

I've always felt 5th gear was not as smooth as the others when changing but not enough to take it in. I'll probably mention it at the next service.
Timmos1983

Post by Timmos1983 »

Having done (admittadly very little) research, it sounds like it could my syncronizer for that gear playing up... This should be covered with the manufacturers warranty. Im going in with it tomorrow.

Ill post up here what the problem is when i find out.
IM THE GREATEST
Timmos1983

Post by Timmos1983 »

@MKAndy... Where did you find the fix for the mp3 display problem?
IM THE GREATEST
Timmos1983

Post by Timmos1983 »

Software updates for the RCD 510. (at the bottom of the page)

Seems to have stopped the dodgy track change and so far so good with the track text aswell.

http://87.230.74.92/ci_softwareupdates00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sorry if this has been put on the site before, but again wont hurt will it. :)
IM THE GREATEST
Billc
I drive a: R-Line
In: Ultra Violet
Options: Dynaudio, DCC, bi-xenons

Post by Billc »

On my late 59 plate the "stalk method" linked below deactivated the DRLs so i no longer have the headlights on all the time. It's legal for a 59 so nothing to worry about.

http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... =DRL+stalk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

IIRC I had to do it slightly differently to the description tho, indicating then flashing.
Bill in Norfants
Timmos1983

Post by Timmos1983 »

Lights - sorted (thanks Bill)
Stereo - sorted (thanks MKandy)

As for point 1. Took her in to get looked at. They are having to take out the gearbox to sort out the problem! Thank god its well within the manufacturers warrenty! Sounds like it might have been an expensive one! Surely the gearbox cant be too buggered after 21k can it!?
IM THE GREATEST
MKAndy
Options: 19" Lugano Alloys, Smokers Pack, Parking Sensors, Folding Mirrors

Post by MKAndy »

:yes:
Timmos1983

Post by Timmos1983 »

Ok, got the rocco back today.

They stripped and re-built the gear box. Giving it a new 5th gear and 5th gear syncro.

If i wasnt in warranty it would have cost £530.

Nice to have it back though... The 1.4 polo curtesy just wasnt cutting it for me!
IM THE GREATEST