Time for 4 new tyres - Advice needed!

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
*Sledge
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box
Options: Leather Seats, Panoramic Sunroof, Bi-Xenons, Winter Pack, De-badged, Sills, Boot liner, Rubber mats. ( Dealer forgot to charge for leather seats, tried to make me pay a month after delivery. Didn't happen. : D )

Time for 4 new tyres - Advice needed!

Post by *Sledge »

Having done 7k miles on my Continental Sport Contact 2's the fronts are down to 2.5mm tread.

The rear are okay but I've just had a screw go through the wall and need to replace a rear. With that I might as well just replace the lot.

I wasn't too happy with the Conti's as they did tend to lose traction in the wet and in the cold. The wear on the front was sort of expected as I tend to throw the car around. I've read the Michelin Pilot Sport 3's are a good replacement. I will end up with a spare Conti with about 5mm of tread on it if anyone wants it. Free to a good home or maybe buy me a scirocco central sticker!

It seems as though no one is stocking the Michelin Pilot Sport 3's with my requirements though.
235 40 18 Y 91

Blackcircles etc have the above spec but with a load index of 95. I imagine that is going to equate to more road noise and rougher ride. I really need to get the tyres changed over as have been driving a lopsided roc for over a week with a skinny wee fella holding up the right rear.

Does anyone have experience of the 95 version of this tyre or should I hold out for the load index of 91?

Other than that is there a better tyre I should be aiming for given my tendency to wear the fronts pretty quickly?

Thanks.

*S
caprinolaw
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
With a: DSG box
Options: Bi-Xenon Headlights, Cruise Control, Scirocco Floors Mats, Boot Liner

Re: Time for 4 new tyres - Advice needed!

Post by caprinolaw »

Where are you? id take a free Conti's off you in exchange for a sticker.

I still go with the Pirelli P7 Centuro (Seal Insides) - they seem to be a good all rounder and well balanced.

I drive fairly hard and the fronts on my Pirelli's lasted 12k, the backs I am yet to change at 20k with 6mm left on the rear.
Jay.

30.06.2010 - Rocco ordered.
09.09.2010 - Rocco delivered.
mike-p

Post by mike-p »

I have the 95 spec PS3s on my Roc, they're not noisy at all, just a higher load spec as my car is diesel.
Life's too short to go slow

Skoda Yeti 4x4 Elegance 2.0CR
Revo, Steinbauer & Oscarli Dealer for Suffolk and N.Essex
*Sledge
Options: Leather Seats, Panoramic Sunroof, Bi-Xenons, Winter Pack, De-badged, Sills, Boot liner, Rubber mats. ( Dealer forgot to charge for leather seats, tried to make me pay a month after delivery. Didn't happen. : D )

Post by *Sledge »

Ok, have gone for the 95 spec.

I'll be at NW6 2RB on Sat AM if anyone wants the 2 old fronts with 3mm tread or the single working rear with ~5mm tread.
medicsource
In: Rising Blue
Options: SatNav, Leather, RPS, Parrot.

Post by medicsource »

I had a pair of Michelin PS3s on the front at the last change, and they were so much better than the self-sealing contis it had on before! Grip levels in wet and dry seem so much better. I had the 95Y XL as they were the nearest match to the contis! Perfectly goo ride on them.

In terms of tyre fitters, I always used EVENT TYRES as they provide good value, excellent mobile service, normally the next day. I once ordered 7pm on Sunday night, and they were at my wifes work place by 9:30 monday morning to fit!

Go for the PS3s... you know it makes sense!
aspireite
Options: Parking Sensors Wing mirrors

Post by aspireite »

caprinolaw wrote:Where are you? id take a free Conti's off you in exchange for a sticker.

I still go with the Pirelli P7 Centuro (Seal Insides) - they seem to be a good all rounder and well balanced.
Seal in Pirelli is poor got a nail in one didnt seal and on inspection is very thin.

The Conti seal is much thicker and stickier
nastytooth

Post by nastytooth »

I hear good things about the Conti 5P's and goodyear eagle F1's
danf430
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Rising Blue

Post by danf430 »

Yeah, i would get the Conti 5P they scored very highly in all conditions in the AutoCar tyre test!! My R is coming with Dunlops, im reasonable happy with those. but i also could be tempted by the ContiWinterContact TS 810 Sport as i do alot of travelling in europe, for the winter month especially, and the rain in germany is torential in the summer.
Ryy
In: Viper Green
Options: Sat Nav, Heated Leather Seats, Dynaudio, Kit with 19" alloys, 30mm Front / 20mm Rear Lowering Springs, Folding Mirrors, Interior Mats, REVO Stage 1, Carbon wrapped bits and bobs.

Post by Ryy »

I have Avon ZZ5's on my roc, awesome tires, great grip.
*Sledge

Post by *Sledge »

Very happy with the PS3's.

So much more grip taking off from a standing start and definitely more grip in the wet than the Conti 3's.

Would be nice if there was a place in our profile to put our tyre choice as would be nice to see the stats on who has what and the ratings etc.
david25
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Pewter Grey
Options: It' actually a Gold in Steel Grey!

Post by david25 »

I selected the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/20 ... e-Test.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Can't tell you about wear levels yet, but comfort/noise is excellent.