Another Scirocco or a Golf gti

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
silver130
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Indium Grey
With a: DSG box
Options: Indium Grey. 2.0 GT. DSG. Panoramic Sunroof. Dynaudio. Rear Parking Sensors. Bluetooth Hands Free. Cruise Control.
Aluminium Pedals. Sill Trims. Premium Mats.
Now Gone. Scirocco 2.0 GT Manual
Rising Blue Paint. Dynaudio.Premium Mats. aluminium Pedals. Sill Trims. R32 Gearknob.

Another Scirocco or a Golf gti

Post by silver130 »

My Scirocco will be due for renewal in October when it will be 3yrs old. Now the question is what to get next.
I have been out for extended test drives in a DSG Scirocco and a DSG Golf and loved the Scirocco with DSG but not the Golf with DSG.
I think the Golf needs to be a manual though. My present car is manual too but I don't want to feel like I am driving the same car for 6 years . I have specced up each car as follows.

3dr Golf gti manual 210bhp
Carbon Grey
Cloth seats
18 inch Monza
Front and rear parking sensors with rear view camera
RCD510 with Dynaudio
Storage pack

Scirocco 210 GT DSG
Indium Grey or Rising Blue (again)
Merlin Cloth Seats
Rear Parking Sensors
Panoramic Sunroof
Dynaudio
Dab upgrade
Cruise Control

What would you do ?? All thoughts welcomed as I have not got a clue which way to jump :? :? :?
Last edited by silver130 on Tue May 10, 2011 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IF IT'S NOT BROKEN
I'VE NOT TOUCHED IT YET !!
The_Roc
In: Candy White
Options: Panaroof,xenons,truffle leather

Re: Another Scirocco or a Golf gti

Post by The_Roc »

how does the golf dsg differ from the scirocco dsg when driving
kane1210
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Rising Blue
Bi-Xenons
19" lugano's alloys
RNS510
Bluetooth Phone Prep
Voice control

Post by kane1210 »

Get the roc hands down cheaper as well
Scott_mac
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Night Blue
Options: Multifunction Wheel, Bluetooth, Cruise Control

Post by Scott_mac »

Quite a few magazines have said similar regarding DSG being great in Scirocco but less so in the Golf - weird!

I'd go with the Scirocco - there have been a few changes since your original one so it won't be identical.

At the risk of pointing at other brands, I considered an Alfa Guilietta but they couldn't deliver in time (ironic!!) it was a great car to drive and assuming given the 3yr replacement time, yours is a company car, the emissions are a fair bit lower on the Alfa too....
Current:
2011 VW Scirocco 1.4TSi DSG
2001 Citroen Saxo 1.1 Desire
1972 VW Beetle 1302S
1967 Lotus Elan +2 130S

Previous:
2008 Toyota Avensis 2.2 D-4D TR
1998 Lotus Elise
1998 Peugeot 106 Rallye
*Deleted to avoid embarrassment*
silver130
Options: Indium Grey. 2.0 GT. DSG. Panoramic Sunroof. Dynaudio. Rear Parking Sensors. Bluetooth Hands Free. Cruise Control.
Rising Blue Paint. Dynaudio.Premium Mats. aluminium Pedals. Sill Trims. R32 Gearknob.

Post by silver130 »

The_Roc wrote:how does the golf dsg differ from the scirocco dsg when driving
virtually identical in operation it's just the way the car feels. Somehow i just want to feel more connected and in control with the golf. In some ways the Golf felt more skittish and in all honesty it's probably down to the fact that the Golf i tried back to back with the Scirocco didn't have the ACC on it that is standard on the Scirocco.
The Scirocco just felt more planted on the road.
I have driven an 09 GTi with dsg and Acc and that did feel different again in a good way.
Also the other comment about the price difference is a factor but as long as the cost to change is about right i will just put the blinkers on and try to blot out what i will have to pay extra for on the Golf that is standard on the Scirocco :eek:
IF IT'S NOT BROKEN
silver130

Post by silver130 »

Scott_mac wrote:Quite a few magazines have said similar regarding DSG being great in Scirocco but less so in the Golf - weird!

I'd go with the Scirocco - there have been a few changes since your original one so it won't be identical.

At the risk of pointing at other brands, I considered an Alfa Guilietta but they couldn't deliver in time (ironic!!) it was a great car to drive and assuming given the 3yr replacement time, yours is a company car, the emissions are a fair bit lower on the Alfa too....

No it's not a company car it's private. While i can afford it i just like to change every three years while there is still a bit of money left in it
IF IT'S NOT BROKEN
scirocco
Options: Scirocco number two ordered November 3rd 2010 (build week 5), Delivered April 2011
Cruise Control, Premium mats, Mudflaps...

Post by scirocco »

silver130 I was in the same boat a few months back and just ended up going for a new Scirocco, after two and a bit years of very happy ownership. I decided to go for the Scirocco again as its a great value, well specced car with excellent residuals.

PS Remember the Golf is being changed in 2012. I can also confirm that everything is a little bit better in the later Scirocco models over our 08/09 versions...
Last edited by scirocco on Sat May 14, 2011 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atlantis
Options: Truffle Leather, Panoramic Sunroof, DAB, Dynaudio, Parking Sensors, Folding Mirrors, Cruise Control, Tyre Pressure Indicator, Smoking Pack

Post by Atlantis »

Have you seen the new Golf GTI Edition 35?

http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/26766 ... tures.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
raffoul232
Options: -Adaptive chassis control
-Bluetooth interface+voice control
-Multi-function steering wheel with control for gear shift
-Panorama tilting sunroof
-Park distance control
-Sports package
-Tire pressure
-Smoking package

Post by raffoul232 »

I've driven both an mk6 gti and a scirocco. Personally I think that the gti is better on harsh roads, its handling is really perfected and its a house hold name for vw on the minus side it's not as nice looking as the scirocco. On the other hand the scirocco looks much better inside and out but the ride I'll give it to the gti. I struggled with the same issue silver, but my conclusion was to keep my scirocco and keep on modifying it. After some research on other forums I realized that the mk6 is actually nothing more thatn an "mk5.5" and is due to change in 2012 as mentioned. Also the mk4 scirocco will be out in 2014 so why not wait.
ALL MODS ON HOLD
wigit
Options: I used to own one

Post by wigit »

really like the mk6 and a great car, i'd go Ed35 if i wanted a GTI, however, out right handling the rocco nudges it, however, in some ways this means the golfs more fun

people keep harping on about it being mk5.5 forgeting the the rocco is essentially built on a mk5.5 platform with some help raiding the eos, passat cc parts, for me rocco needs a bit of botox
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
Deacon
Options: Tuned 1.4tsi - gone but not forgotten!

Post by Deacon »

Polo gti? Lovely looking car and not that different in size now!
playing in my '86
wigit

Post by wigit »

Deacon wrote:Polo gti? Lovely looking car and not that different in size now!
Not a great chasis IMHO you can keep polishing but you can't polish a turd
Scott_mac

Post by Scott_mac »

Deacon wrote:Polo gti? Lovely looking car and not that different in size now!
Completely different car... tried one before ordering my Scirocco as I could have it sooner, didn't take long to realise waiting was worth it!

silver130 - you could maybe consider an ex den or used 'R' some of them at 6 months old aren't that much higher cost than a 2.0!

The Golf 35th Edition is rather lovely though, those seats :yes: :yes:
Current:
1972 VW Beetle 1302S
1967 Lotus Elan +2 130S

Previous:
1998 Lotus Elise
1998 Peugeot 106 Rallye
silver130

Post by silver130 »

Well i have driven a manual Gti yesterday with ACC and imho that is the way i would go if i choose to have a Golf Gti. The fact that an edition 35 has broke cover concerns me that the end is nigh for the mk6 and has thrown a massive spanner in the works in my decision making.
I know the spec i would like if i have another Scirocco but the colour is another thing all together. I still love my Rising Blue but don't really want the same again and i thought i liked the look of the Indium Grey until i saw one in the flesh today. Not sure. it looks a bit greenish in some lights and not quite as dark as i was hoping for.
Looks like i am back to square one :( :( :(
IF IT'S NOT BROKEN
boardlord
In: Rising Blue
Options: Leather Interior, Mats

Post by boardlord »

SIlver 130,
I came from a Mk6 3dr GTI DSG to a Scirocco in March. IMHO DSG is awesome however after the novelty of the paddles wears off your just left with an auto, and I personnally just got bored of driving it. The Scirocco IMO is much more fun to drive, more comfortable and much better looking, however less practical and as I have a TDI Scirocco much slower. The 210 golf I would say was also under powered now adays so the 35 or R (How much!) is the only option. Not sure on the residuals on the Scirocco but we paid £23250 for golf in Nov 09 and got £20k p/x in MAR 11 which is by far the best I have ever had. However if the MK 7 is due out they will lose a lot more.
Our next car will be a MK 7 Golf GTI Manual and we have instructed our dealer to put an order in for us at the earliest oppertunity.
I would never change to the same car even if it had had a few tweaks.

Ben
Scott_mac

Post by Scott_mac »

The Ed.35 is likely to retain its value well though... the special edition models usually do so I wouldn't worry too much on that one!

I think a Scirocco R should be your choice though :)
Current:
1972 VW Beetle 1302S
1967 Lotus Elan +2 130S

Previous:
1998 Lotus Elise
1998 Peugeot 106 Rallye
wigit

Post by wigit »

The most sought after GTIs are always the limited edition run of the out going model, our mk5 gti pirelli residual wise is far better than the roc (which are 10 a penny) and Ed30s remain strong
Grampa
In: Viper Green
Options: Panoramic Sun Roof, Piano Black interior, black 19" wheels

Post by Grampa »

I would be with you on the idea of not just getting another car the same - in twenty three years of replacing my car every three years, I've never done that (closest I've come is with our second car a new Mini changed for a new new Mini), but if there hadn't been anything on the market I'd fancied as a replacement, I would just extend the existing car rather than getting a new one just the same.
Having said that, a Golf wold be way too boring after a Scirocco (well too boring for me full stop to be honest) - when my Scirocco has had it's time (still 2 years to go), if I don't want to hang on to it, the prime contender at the moment looks like being the new Astra GTC VXR.
morrissey
In: Deep Black
Options: Golf R, 3 door, manual, leather, sunroof, 19" alloys, ACC, cruise, comfort and storage packs

Post by morrissey »

I had the same dilemna and went with the Golf R.

Punitive mpg aside, it is a nice car :)

I am hoping to get payback next winter with the 4WD.