Trackers

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
the stig
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box
Options: Leather seats, sports wheel, DVD Nav, Bluetooth, Dynaudio, 2way aircon, cruise control, Parking sensors, electric mirrors and Xeon lights

Trackers

Post by the stig »

Just been looking into getting a tracker fitted and have a few questions, just wondering if anybody on here has one or can reccommend somewhere to go in the Midlands. Ive seen on the internet a few walkthroughs on how to fit them yourself just wondering if anybody has done this?

Thanks!

AC
veeedubba
I drive a: Scirocco R
Options: Heated Leather cruise parking sensors folding mirrors

Re: Trackers

Post by veeedubba »

would you really want it back after the scum of the earth have rallied it around a field?
RW1
Legend
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
With a: DSG box
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

the stig wrote:Ive seen on the internet a few walkthroughs on how to fit them yourself just wondering if anybody has done this?
This one may be useful that zephyR fitted .... Link

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
Ryy
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Viper Green
Options: Sat Nav, Heated Leather Seats, Dynaudio, Kit with 19" alloys, 30mm Front / 20mm Rear Lowering Springs, Folding Mirrors, Interior Mats, REVO Stage 1, Carbon wrapped bits and bobs.

Post by Ryy »

I have one on mine by Cobra.
Gilez
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
Options: Folding mirrors, luxury mats, Black leather interior, DAB RCD510 Radio, Sill Protectors

LED side, interior, number plate, puddle and footwell lights.

DRL coded off, so side lights only. Beep for alarm set/unset coded on.

Build Week 5 2010
10.02.10 - on the boat to the UK
20.02.10 - Took delivery

Post by Gilez »

You need to ask yourself why you want one.

It is to try to ensure you get it back if it is taken, or to reduce insurance premiums? If it is the latter, forget it, as I found it didnt make any difference to the premium.
I can rely on my car, it's my Roc!!!
Actus Reus

Post by Actus Reus »

I had one on my Boxster as a condition of the insurance - at over £100 a year, it wasn't that cheap. And no, I wouldn't have necessarily wanted it back - all depends how quickly Plod gets it back for you.

I wouldn't recommend fitting one yourself - surely it'd be too easy to locate? The professional ones have more than one transponder hidden all over the car... (so I'm told)
maisbitt
In: Rising Blue
Options: Parking Sensors, Smokers Pack (for aesthetics), R gearstick, R pedals, Sliding cup holder cover.

Post by maisbitt »

Risk vs cost doesn't add up for a Roc. Tracker on some £60k+ car that will be stolen to order and end up sold by criminals in Romania/Bulgaria etc is a good idea. Those cars will be well looked after until they are either intercepted by the bobbies or end up in their destination. I wouldn't want a joy-ridden Roc back.
2013 - Tornado Red MK7 Golf GTD on order
2011-2013 - Rising Blue 170GT
2009-2011 - Pewter Roc 140GT
2007-2009 - Tornado Red Golf 170TDI GT
2005-2007 - Black Pearl Golf 140TDI GT
2003-2005 - Black Pearl Polo 1.9TDI
Actus Reus

Post by Actus Reus »

All of that said would a joy-ridden Roc be driven any harder than you'd drive yourself on a track day? And modern cars can take a fair bit of abuse... Nevertheless, I don't have a tracker and won't be fitting one, but I do live in Bishops Stortford where the crime rate is absurdly low.
Shaun
In: Reflex Silver
Options: RNS510, DSG, leather, 19" Talladega's, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, front covered cup holder, rear cup holders, piano black cubby hole, Audi R8 oil cap

Post by Shaun »

Reading through his post i cant see where he ask the rights and wrongs of fitting a tracker, this discussion comes up every time a tracker is mentioned, i am guessing he has decided he wants one as per his post and wants info on fitting one so i hope somebody does come along and actually help him with the fitting info he needs.

the stig wrote:Just been looking into getting a tracker fitted and have a few questions, just wondering if anybody on here has one or can reccommend somewhere to go in the Midlands. Ive seen on the internet a few walkthroughs on how to fit them yourself just wondering if anybody has done this?

Thanks!

AC
Jordy Racer
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
Options: Panoramic Sunroof, Electric Fold Mirrors, Heated Electric Vienne Truffle Leather, Optic Parking Sensors

Post by Jordy Racer »

My R32 i owned previous to this had a tracker fitted by its previous owner. To activiate this it was going to cost £100 a year subscription, and it only knocked £90 off my insurance.........Whats the point?? :shrug:
Chungster
Options: One of the 1st Roc R owners in the UK :)

Post by Chungster »

i had one fitted by the dealer...and i've cancelled the subscripton after 1 year.

Take out 3 year GAP insurance instead if you're worried about your pride and joy going AWOL.
Scott_mac
In: Night Blue
Options: Multifunction Wheel, Bluetooth, Cruise Control

Post by Scott_mac »

Had one on my Elise, not sure how the subscriptions work these days but I paid up front for a life time one and it cost me about £600 all in... was a requirement for my insurance as i was only 23 at the time.

It was fitted at a place called Mobile Audio in Lowesmoor, Worcester.... they do all the work for Listers VW and Audi so know there way around a Scirocco i'm sure!
Current:
2011 VW Scirocco 1.4TSi DSG
2001 Citroen Saxo 1.1 Desire
1972 VW Beetle 1302S
1967 Lotus Elan +2 130S

Previous:
2008 Toyota Avensis 2.2 D-4D TR
1998 Lotus Elise
1998 Peugeot 106 Rallye
*Deleted to avoid embarrassment*
chrisyboyc
Options: Leather,Criuse Control, Dynaudio possible RS6 alloys if i have cash

Post by chrisyboyc »

I really dont see the point
If you see S9 CTC driving around give us a wave I do 40,000 miles a year it gets lonely out there
Shaun
In: Reflex Silver
Options: RNS510, DSG, leather, 19" Talladega's, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, front covered cup holder, rear cup holders, piano black cubby hole, Audi R8 oil cap

Post by Shaun »

Scott_mac wrote:Had one on my Elise, not sure how the subscriptions work these days but I paid up front for a life time one and it cost me about £600 all in... was a requirement for my insurance as i was only 23 at the time.

It was fitted at a place called Mobile Audio in Lowesmoor, Worcester.... they do all the work for Listers VW and Audi so know there way around a Scirocco i'm sure!
:yes: :yes: , Someone has actually answered his question :yes: :yes: :)
Scott_mac

Post by Scott_mac »

182_blue wrote:
Scott_mac wrote:Had one on my Elise, not sure how the subscriptions work these days but I paid up front for a life time one and it cost me about £600 all in... was a requirement for my insurance as i was only 23 at the time.

:yes: :yes: , Someone has actually answered his question :yes: :yes: :)
Apologies, I know that isn't normally the done thing :D
Current:
1972 VW Beetle 1302S
1967 Lotus Elan +2 130S

Previous:
1998 Lotus Elise
1998 Peugeot 106 Rallye
Ryy
Options: Sat Nav, Heated Leather Seats, Dynaudio, Kit with 19" alloys, 30mm Front / 20mm Rear Lowering Springs, Folding Mirrors, Interior Mats, REVO Stage 1, Carbon wrapped bits and bobs.

Post by Ryy »

They must of done mine as LVW retro fitted my tracker as they said it had one when it didn't.
Jeffao
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Deep Black
Options: Vienna Leather, Bi-Xenon's, Pano Roof, Dynaudio, Parking Sensors, Cruise, Elec Folding Mirrors. Smokers Pack (for covered storage area), BMT, Coloured MFD, Tyre pressure Ind.
RNS-510 SatNav (video-in-motion enabled) + Voice Control & safety camera database, VW Bluetooth (iPhone5) Led Drl's.

Post by Jeffao »

Use an old iphone 3GS hidden & wired in, then use the free find-my-iphone feature online....... Just a thought!
Scott_mac

Post by Scott_mac »

Jeffao wrote:Use an old iphone 3GS hidden & wired in, then use the free find-my-iphone feature online....... Just a thought!
Very easily removed though... and probably not insurance approved!

Not a bad idea if someone just wants a cheap and cheerful system, though i wonder how cheap it'd be?
Current:
1972 VW Beetle 1302S
1967 Lotus Elan +2 130S

Previous:
1998 Lotus Elise
1998 Peugeot 106 Rallye
Buckster
Options: Cruise control

Post by Buckster »

chrisyboyc wrote:I really dont see the point
It is good if you want to see who the wife is nobbing while you are at work...