Where does all the RNS510's come from?

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
matsa71
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Reflex Silver
With a: Manual box

Where does all the RNS510's come from?

Post by matsa71 »

I'm looking in to upgrading to a RNS510 and find alot of them for sale out on different web sites.
Some second hand, some claimed to be brand new out of the box, etc, etc,
Prices seem generally very low (about 800€ for a C-version) compared to the VW price, which obviously makes me think somethings wrong.
Anyone knows what all these are and where they come from?
Stolen? Copies? A truckload was stolen from VAG?
What's your experience with this? I really don't want to risk buying stolen stuff and feeding the business of idiots breaking in to cars
Shaun
I drive a: Scirocco R
With a: DSG box
Options: RNS510, DSG, leather, 19" Talladega's, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, front covered cup holder, rear cup holders, piano black cubby hole, Audi R8 oil cap

Re: Where does all the RNS510's come from?

Post by Shaun »

They tend to be stolen from overseas or even in the UK (check the amount of dealers that remove them now from the forecourt), the others are refurbs from the continental factory, there was quite a few going from the factory and the police did a sting operation and caught a lorry load being stolen !!, lets be honest here how many people remove a RNS from a car for a genuine reason and sell it, its either been repaired or nicked, very few are completely new units, i do know of one seller who sells brand new units from the factory but his are quite a bit more than the ones at circa £600
matsa71
With a: Manual box

Post by matsa71 »

Thanks,
Anyone knows if it's possible to verify serial numbers with VW/VAG, to minimize the risk?
juniorbanks
In: Rising Blue

Post by juniorbanks »

What is the standard retail cost of a Version C RNS Blue .. roughly?
Shaun
Options: RNS510, DSG, leather, 19" Talladega's, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, front covered cup holder, rear cup holders, piano black cubby hole, Audi R8 oil cap

Post by Shaun »

juniorbanks wrote:What is the standard retail cost of a Version C RNS Blue .. roughly?
its £1800 from VW
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Or £850 from this seller http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-RNS510-LED-ver ... 27b821d3d6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rickj
In: Candy White
Options: leather,dsg,scirocco sills,bury bluetooth,mdi.

Post by rickj »

matsa71 wrote:I'm looking in to upgrading to a RNS510 and find alot of them for sale out on different web sites.
Some second hand, some claimed to be brand new out of the box, etc, etc,
Prices seem generally very low (about 800€ for a C-version) compared to the VW price, which obviously makes me think somethings wrong.
Anyone knows what all these are and where they come from?
Stolen? Copies? A truckload was stolen from VAG?
What's your experience with this? I really don't want to risk buying stolen stuff and feeding the business of idiots breaking in to cars

I to was going to upgrade from rcd 510 to rns 510,but due to number of problems which are posted on rocco forums,plus the probable lack of warranty ,ive decided to keep my rcd510 and the warranty that goes with it ,after all the tom tom ive had for last 3 years is a better nav unit,
BAIKAR
In: Candy White

Post by BAIKAR »

I agree it isnt always the plug and play some people would have you believe, especially if you want full functionality.

But stick at it and the unit is well worth upgrading to. Ive ordered the parts for the rear view camera and that will be the next project.

I know buying from ebay may leave you feeling uneasy, I know, I did. As a vw owner I hate the thought of some theiving scum stealing a unit form a fellow owner only to sell it on as a refurbished or second hand unit. If we thought like this about everything then you would never by items from ebay ever again.