Sat Nav + 30GB HDD

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
skippy
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box
Options: Sat Nav, Leather, electric fold in mirrors, Dynaudio upgrade.

Now sold, but what a fantastic car!

Sat Nav + 30GB HDD

Post by skippy »

Hello,

May sound a really daft question, I assume you only get the built in 30GB HDD when you specify the DVD Navigation system.

I did not specify this at time of ordering but did specify the Dynaudio upgrade.

Is the DVD navigation system actually worth it? Although it cant be as accurate as a TomTom due to the lack of a full postcode.

Any comment appreciated.

Many thanks.
risingblue1
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Rising Blue
Options: Sat Nav, Private plate

Re: Sat Nav + 30GB HDD

Post by risingblue1 »

I think its excellent but I only got it because it was a stock car. The HDD is very useful and pointless but cool at the sametime is the DVD player.
skippy

Post by skippy »

thanks for your comment 'risingblue1', I am in 2 minds whether to ask the dealer if I can opt for the DVD navigation afterall (with the Dynaudio upgrade). I somehow dont think they will allow me to do this now although only ordered just over a week ago.

It is a very expensive option though!
kianok
In: Deep Black
Options: C 320 CDi

Post by kianok »

The nav is the best factory fit one I have ever used. The iDrive one I have in my 3 series was so slow to start up and calculate.

As for the 30 gig HD, never used it and probably never will.
Kev
Administrator
With a: DSG box
Options: Leather, cruise, parking sensors, folding mirrors, flat tyre indicator
Sadly replaced in Nov '16 by a TTS!

Post by Kev »

Spend the money on parking sensors and xenons instead.
There, sorted.
skippy

Post by skippy »

thanks guys,

Thats the thing, you place your order then think, should I have gone for this, should I have gone for that, should I have gone for Rising blue rather then candy white :)

I somehow doubt if dealer will accept any changes to spec now, and if they do accept (which results in delay to delivery), they might just charge me a penalty due to value of my P/X going down.
drnick
Options: leather, Nav, Park sensors

Post by drnick »

Funny how we're all different! I love the nav and also use a very up to date Tomtom in my work vehicle. The Tomtom is good but the VAG system is at least as good, plus you get instructions on the MFD on the dashboard. I'd say the built in unit is worth every penny and only adds to the 'special' feeling about the car. I also use the HDD, i bought a 2GB SD card and i just copy any CDs i want onto the HDD via the SD slot. It's slow to copy but you can listen and copy simultaneously. I would definitely say get it!!!!
jonosussex
In: Indium Grey
Options: sunroof, leather, satnav, reversing sensors, cruise, winter pack, headlight washers, folding mirrors..

Post by jonosussex »

totally agree with drnick. The 30GB drive is great - but it does take time to load it via a 2GB SD card!

The Sat Nav is good, now I am used to it prefver it to TomTom, but no speed cameras though! Think I will get a small speedcamera warning unit. am looking at the Novus Rider. £99 no subs and lifetime updates. anyone got any views?
Last edited by jonosussex on Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
1996-1999 Mazda 323 2.0 V6
1999-2002 Celica 190
2002-2005 Celica T-sport
2005-2008 Golf GTi
2008-2011 'Roc 2.0 TSi manual - Rising Blue
2011- ?? Roc 2.0 TSi DSG Indium Grey
drnick
Options: leather, Nav, Park sensors

Post by drnick »

don't know mate, i never speed :vibes:
skippy

Post by skippy »

Many thanks guys, I think I will ring the dealer and ask, I half expect some kind of penalty if I go for it, but, I am hardly asking for a physical option such as a pano roof!

Will ask the question and let you know, with an expensive option they may only be too pleased to offer it!
skippy

Post by skippy »

Well - I have decided to go for the Sat -NAV. It is one of those things where once I picked it up, would have thought, "oh I should have gone for that", expensive option agreed, but should add to its resale later on.

My car is still is not in "production start" state, so they could ammend my order, but they did warn me that if it lengthens the delivery date, there could be a re-evaluation required of my P/X, or I handover my current car at the originally agreed date (so i am without a car), or they lend me a Polo Blue Motion or something until mine arrives :)
jonosussex
Options: sunroof, leather, satnav, reversing sensors, cruise, winter pack, headlight washers, folding mirrors..

Post by jonosussex »

think you are making the right decision. Mine was pre-registered and came supplied with sat nav; don't think I'd have ordered it if placinga new order - but its great!!! I run with map display going and its brilliant for DIY back doubles and short cuts! I used to be a Tom Tom fan - no more. I don't think you'll regret having it. Go for the blue-motion! I'd love to drive one for a week or two and see what economy i could get out of it! Talking of economy, the 'roc is amazingly good too. Driving normally i easily get 32 33. Thbis compares so well to me prvious - Mk V GTi. Amazing really c os its the same engine. also the GYTi only drank best 98; wheras the 'roc runs well on regular freom Sainsburys!! This car is cheap!!!

Love it.
1999-2002 Celica 190
2002-2005 Celica T-sport
2005-2008 Golf GTi
skippy

Post by skippy »

Thanks Jonosussex, that is a useful write up and further justifies my decision to go for the satnav, I would hope it is good paying £1,500 (includes Dynaudio) for it!

As for fuel consumption, I am expecting a huge improvement over my current car which is a Mazda RX-8 which only does low 20's, only get about 300 miles from 13 gallons or so! Looking forward to the 'Roc' but so long to wait :(
jonosussex

Post by jonosussex »

Thnaks Skippy , so you're trading an RX8? That's car i have always loved; pretty good performer and I have lusted afyer one ever since I had a Celica T-Sport in about 2003! But th petrol consumption has put me off. Is it right that you get about 15 to the gallon if you thrash it? Anyway - I think you will LOVE the 'roc. best car i have ever had (and I loved my GTi and my T sport!)

regards
1999-2002 Celica 190
2002-2005 Celica T-sport
2005-2008 Golf GTi
skippy

Post by skippy »

Hi Jono,

Yes- I am trading from an RX-8, they are amazing cars, the rotary engine is manic. Mine is actually standard power (192PS) but still redlines at 7,500 rpm, where as the High power one redlines at 9,000!

In all honesty I did not really want to trade it in, it is a 56 reg with only 10K miles and I love it still, but as you say, petrol consumption is poor. Round town you can't expect more than 20mpg and if you do use all of its performance, then yes 15mpg is about what you can expect. We did go to France in it 2 years ago, and it was great on the near empty motorways, but even then cruising at 75mph, I probably never got more than 28mpg!

The compact size of the rotary (its only a 1.3 in reality) means that the chassis is perfectly balanced, you can really throw it around, and the design of it with its 'suicide' rear doors means its a real head turner.

What has forced me to trade it in, is a very nice man called Alister Darling, he kindly put my road tax up to £400 per year, I really resent paying that, so I reasoned that with the 'Rocco' I will get a great car with similar performance (actually slightly more) while using less fuel and paying less road tax :)

I think most guys on this forum are obviously car fanatics, and I carefully researched the Rocco before deciding to trade in my beloved RX-8. It is compared with the RX-8 frequently in all the car mags and I can assure you it will be hard for me to tear my self away from my car, but I am sure I won't be disappointed, the low down torque was great compared to the rotary, but if you ever get the chance to drive an RX-8, you won't be disappointed.

I will respond to one of the other guys on the forum who has mentioned depreciation, I know all about that!
steveargy
In: Deep Black
Options: Truffle, Sunroof, SatNav, Parking Sensors, Folding Mirrors, Winter Pack, Mats

Post by steveargy »

If you can ... go for the Sat Nav. I have had one in my last few cars and this is certainly the best. My last car was a BMW with iDrive to control the Sat Nav and audio etc ... it was a real pain, I even had voice control fitted because I heard the iDrive was so slow reaching the function you wanted. My mate has Sat Nav in his Audi S6, again you must use a joystick menu driven control but the touchscreen on the RNS510 in the Rocco is great and far easier to use. I use the 30Gb HDD all the time too, it does take a few hours to load all your music using an SD card at first ... but well worth it. It even sounds better than the CD player if your record your music loss-less. I simply copied all my music from my iTunes and converted them to MP3's with a convertor you can by off the internet for £20. Hope this helps.
skippy

Post by skippy »

Hi Steve,

Many thanks for the advice there, yes, I have gone for the sat-nav, I did need to think long and hard about it, because at £1,500 it aint cheap, but your views do backup what I have read in that it seems to be the best factory fit unit on the market. Slightly disappointed you can't put a full postcode in, but apparently many of the factory don't have that facility anyway. I guess you can plug in the address manually.

Thanks also for the info on the HDD, seems like the days of CD's in the car are disappearing what with ipods connectors and HDD's in the car!

Looking forward to getting my car which is over 2 months away yet!
jonosussex

Post by jonosussex »

The lack of full post code is less of a pain than you might think. The address system is intuitive; it only offers possible letters to spell roads which have that post code and often after two letters it guesses (correctly) thr road you want.

I did what Steveargy did - copied from my iTunes library, converting first. However, you don't need to buy a convertor! I use Switch which is free and available at: http://www.nch.com.au/switch/index.html.

also, been driving mine for two months, have yet to see another apart from in the VW showroom i drive by. It's a head turner. People who know their cars often say "It's not the Mk6 Golf is it!!" Fill in the appropriate answer......

Enjoy!
Last edited by jonosussex on Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1999-2002 Celica 190
2002-2005 Celica T-sport
2005-2008 Golf GTi
FUNYOU
In: Salsa Red
Options: Sat nav with Dynaudio package and folding mirrors.

Post by FUNYOU »

Hi. If you use sat nave, I’d recommend this system. It is simply superb. The nav on the instrument binnacle display is fantastic, as once you set off, all important info is displayed straight in front of you. (I was looking for a hotel in York at Christmas, and although the system does not take you to the last 2 digits, I simply searched for the hotel via name. Job done). The sat nav DVD took about 2 hours to install, (the DVD wasn’t availabe when I picked up the car in October), and brings down the hard disc space to about 17 gigs. If you do not need the sat nav, I’d recommend people to go for the standard ice, the hard drive is nice, but takes a lot of setting up. Do not go for the 6 disc in the arm rest as this replaces the data connection. Simply by a storage device and connect via the usb input in the arm rest, an 8gig pen drive will store around 80 albums. I also use my Nokia N95 via the usb with a USB Data Transfer Sync Charging Cable.
skippy

Post by skippy »

jonosussex wrote:The lack of full post code is less of a pain than you might think. The address system is intuitive; it only offers possible letters to spell roads which have that post code and often after two letters it guesses (correctly) thr road you want.

I did what Steveargy did - copied from my iTunes library, converting first. However, you don't need to buy a convertor! I use Switch which is free and available at: http://www.nch.com.au/switch/index.html.

also, been driving mine for two months, have yet to see another apart from in the VW showroom i drive by. It's a head turner. People who know their cars often say "It's not the Mk6 Golf is it!!" Fill in the appropriate answer......

Enjoy!
Many thanks for that Jono, useful info once again, sounds like a really good system. What happens when you need to update it, although I would imagine you would only need to do this every 2 years or so, the updates are normally very expensive. :(

Useful link that for the conversion of iTunes tracks :)

cheers!

I have only seen one 'Roco' on the road, it was dark but was a candy white one.