Horn delay

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
peter.vw
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box
Options: Reversing aid, Paneramic glass roof, Folding mirrors, Tire flat indicator, mats, Smokers pack

Horn delay

Post by peter.vw »

Has anyone else had this I can hit the horn button and two seconds later it goes off, thought it was me not hitting it hard enough but now notice that if you hit it twice then I get two beeps of the horn but with a two second delay.
bleedsoff
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Sumatra
Options: Truffle Leather, Parking Sensors, Electric Folding Mirrors, DAB and Flat Tyre Indicator!:)

Re: Horn delay

Post by bleedsoff »

Yea I noticed this the other day. Used my horn for the first time on some idiot driver and it did not sound straight away! Was pointless cause he was halfway down the road by the time it sounded and it made me look like a d**k! Not sure if it was a 2 second delay though!
micke_011
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Euro + Sports packages, RCD510, 2 Zone Clima

Post by micke_011 »

Just tested myself and there is a slight delay perhaps a few tenths of a second, yer but no but yer but.. Possibly something that can be set using VCDS?
Candy White 1.4 TSI 160 - DSG, ACC, 18" Interlagos (Euro Premium&Sport packs), Alu Door Sills, Current VCDS Mods Needle Sweep, Cornering Fog Lights, Alarm Chirp, Emergency Break Warning, Dension Gateway 5, sort of..
bleedsoff
Options: Truffle Leather, Parking Sensors, Electric Folding Mirrors, DAB and Flat Tyre Indicator!:)

Post by bleedsoff »

micke_011 wrote:Just tested myself and there is a slight delay perhaps a few tenths of a second, yer but no but yer but.. Possibly something that can be set using VCDS?
Possibly maybe an investment is needed :)
Shaun
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Reflex Silver
Options: RNS510, DSG, leather, 19" Talladega's, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, front covered cup holder, rear cup holders, piano black cubby hole, Audi R8 oil cap

Post by Shaun »

Never used the horn, will test this
RW1
Legend
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

Mine is a very short delay, fraction of a second, controller response delay presumably. Nothing in VCDS to adjust it on mine. Haven't looked at the controller maps yet for undocumented "bytes" though.

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
peter.vw
Options: Reversing aid, Paneramic glass roof, Folding mirrors, Tire flat indicator, mats, Smokers pack

Post by peter.vw »

Looking closer it maybe that my horn button has a poor contact so I hit the horn but not every hit registers so delays the time the horn sounds.
But it looks like there is some delay in the system anyway which is a concern as you want an instantaneous reaction, if its half a second we all know how far you can travel at 70 mph in that time
ryanmcco
Options: Leather, Parking Sensors, Folding Mirrors, Winter Pack, Cruise Control(supposed to have), Sill trims, Protection Pack

Post by ryanmcco »

I noticed this too.
I figured that the wheel cover/airbag/horn are hinged at the 'top' of the wheel. So if you try pressing it at the bottom it should work a lot better.

Think of it as how you'd close a door. If you push near the hinge its nowhere near as effective as pushing at the far edge...
something about moments/levers and all that stuff I forgot years ago! :)
peter.vw

Post by peter.vw »

Yes understand the mechanics and your properly right but if someone steps off the curb in front of you your not going to have time to work out were the hinge side is when you may have turned the steering wheel.
I had a Honda that the horn button was on the left and right spokes of the wheel ok when in a straight line but useless once you turned the wheel (there it was gone)
ryanmcco
Options: Leather, Parking Sensors, Folding Mirrors, Winter Pack, Cruise Control(supposed to have), Sill trims, Protection Pack

Post by ryanmcco »

Very true, (pedant as I am, I'd say I'd be hitting the brake and yelling first!) but should I elect to use the horn I'd likely be hitting it hard and holding it down for some time..
Deagol
Options: Parking sensors, Winter pack, Black Leather, Flat Tyre indicator, Mudflaps
Pump & Music from another dimension

Post by Deagol »

There's a delay on mine wherever I prod the wheel - less than half a second, I guess, but still crucial in some circumstances. If there is a way of reducing this time - other than wearing out the contacts or the return springing - I'd be chuffed to hear it.

Even with DRLs on, some people fail to take proper observation when pulling out from junctions, cycling, switching lanes on roundabouts etc (don't get me started.....) and the good old fashioned "I am here" beep as per the Highway Code attracts their attention. To paraphrase peter.vw, at 70mph "I am here" rapidly becomes "I was back there" !

I know another member had his car come with "stealth" mode permanently on - I hope he got it deactivated.
Baptised with Aerosmith
peter.vw

Post by peter.vw »

Its looks like we have identified that there is a delay when pressing the horn and it seems to be more than just the odd one or two (unless there is someone without the delay)
I think this is a safety issue and wonder if VW are aware of it
SciroccoSteve
In: Rising Blue
Options: vw sills, rear parking sensors

Post by SciroccoSteve »

Yep ive noticed this aswell, thought it was just me.

Does'nt fill me with confidence as has been mentioned before, ud want it to be instant! Never had that on any other cars ive owned before...

Also ive noticed that the passenger airbag seems to display as "OFF" do i need to enable it? Would have though it have come "ON" as standard surely???
RW1
Legend
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

peter.vw wrote:Its looks like we have identified that there is a delay when pressing the horn and it seems to be more than just the odd one or two (unless there is someone without the delay)
I think this is a safety issue and wonder if VW are aware of it
The delay on mine is no different to my Mk2 Scirocco (and previous ones) where there is a relay in the circuit. Thats how short my delay is.

On mine it is controlled by the 09 - Central Elect. Module Part No. 5K0 937 086.

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
peter.vw

Post by peter.vw »

I wish I could say the delay was part of a second I can hit the button three times but will only get one short blast.
The car is due its first service next month so will get them to have a look.
trix
Options: Gone but never forgotten; Sumatra, Cruise, Parking Sensors, Flat Tyre Indicator, boot liner, hatchbag, premium sills, SciroccoCentral stickers & hedgehog!
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09
Off to his new home July 2016 after nearly 7 years & 88800 miles.

Missing RW1

Post by trix »

SciroccoSteve wrote:Also ive noticed that the passenger airbag seems to display as "OFF" do i need to enable it? Would have though it have come "ON" as standard surely???
Steve

check the switch in the glove box. if its not as it should be ie set to on but the dash light is showing it as off then go get it checked at the dealers as there could be a fault.

S
SciroccoSteve
Options: vw sills, rear parking sensors

Post by SciroccoSteve »

Checked the switch and it was set to off! So ive turned it on :0)

Bit strange, i would have thought they would have been on as default....
bleedsoff

Post by bleedsoff »

SciroccoSteve wrote:Checked the switch and it was set to off! So ive turned it on :0)

Bit strange, i would have thought they would have been on as default....
Or maybe your dealer took it out for a test drive with another customer before they handed it over to you and put a baby in the front :lol:
rhcp128

Post by rhcp128 »

Very strange so many are having this issue. Mine is completely fine. No delay or at least no different in terms of response time to any other car I've owned... Could have something to do with LHD / RHD version of the car. Seems odd
Blue Meanie
Options: panoramic roof, cruise control and i dont know what else yet!
Got a cool keyring...does that count?

Post by Blue Meanie »

I have experienced this I picked my 60 plate up yesterday and noticed the delay on leaving the forecourt... roughly 6 hrs later my horn was caput as was my MF steering wheel...are they connected through the same interface unit as mine is being replace as i type...with Tech at VW stating there not 100% sure what is causing this?

i have elaborated (i think) in my 'Its Here' thread on New Arrivals would appreciate any advice! :D