Bike Carrier

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
ianpointon
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box

Bike Carrier

Post by ianpointon »

I know this has been covered previously, but does anyone have any recommendations and photos of the bike carrier they are using? I was thinking of the Saris Bones but worried it might crack the spoiler.
I want to transport 2 mountain bikes and really don't want to put roof bars on. :)
trix
Options: Gone but never forgotten; Sumatra, Cruise, Parking Sensors, Flat Tyre Indicator, boot liner, hatchbag, premium sills, SciroccoCentral stickers & hedgehog!
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09
Off to his new home July 2016 after nearly 7 years & 88800 miles.

Missing RW1

Re: Bike Carrier

Post by trix »

:welcome: Ian

the bones rack is certainly the one commonly mentioned that people use http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... k&start=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... =bike+rack" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
but there are no pictures been posted as yet.

keep your eyes on the second link as others have asked for pics there

S
Simon_T
Options: DVD SATNAV
DYNA AUDIO 300 WATT SYSTEM UPGRADE
CRUISE CONTROL
BURY BLUETOOTH PREPARATION
ROOF MOUNTED BARS AND CYCLE CARRIER
FLOOR MATS
BOOT LINER
3 YEARS SERVICING

Post by Simon_T »

ive ordered the dealer one as part of my deal.

will post how good it is when i get the car in september
Simon_T
CRUISE CONTROL
FLOOR MATS
BOOT LINER
3 YEARS SERVICING

Post by Simon_T »

dealer7.jpg
dealer6.jpg
dealer5.jpg
Ian here are some pics with the roof bars and cycle mount
i will take some close ups and with the bike mounted if you like.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
davemarks
In: Rising Blue
Options: Black Leather, Bluetooth Phone Prep, Parking Sensors, 19" Lugano alloys

Post by davemarks »

Hey there

I've brought roof bars for the surfboard (and kayak if i ever manage to buy one) but I'm currently considering my options for transporting the mountain bike so well interested to hear what you have to say on that front...

Not sure I like the idea of the bike being ontop, but covering the boot doesn't fill me with enthusiasm either... shame i can't find a removable two ball!
Simon_T
CRUISE CONTROL
FLOOR MATS
BOOT LINER
3 YEARS SERVICING

Post by Simon_T »

Hi Dave,
Like you i wasnt to keen to stick the bike on top but upon looking round the car and the rear spoiler and hatch then i think its a better option than having a high rear mount one like i have on my golf.
at the same time not sure i want the rear bumper cut up to accomodate a towball either.
I will get some better pics up and close up ones with the bike mounted and let you know,Im sure the bars ect are a 3rd party like thule infact positive i may stand corrected
tjdixon
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140

Post by tjdixon »

I transport my MTB in the car with the seats down, you can get 2 in with both wheels off but just need to be careful getting them over the bumper.

I still keep looking at the Saris Bones racks but not convinced how they will fit on the Roc.

I transported bikes on the roof of my Fabia VRS previously but damaged the roof when fitting the roof rack (not badly, couple of scratches) and with the fitment on the Roc being completely rested on paintwork I'd be concerned about damage again! I"m sure VW have thought of this though as it seems to be a similar fitment type across the range....
Scirocco 140 TDi, Rising Blue

Porsche 968 Sport, Guards Red (For Sale - PM me for details)
nd10

Post by nd10 »

tjdixon wrote:I transport my MTB in the car with the seats down, you can get 2 in with both wheels off but just need to be careful getting them over the bumper.

I still keep looking at the Saris Bones racks but not convinced how they will fit on the Roc.

I transported bikes on the roof of my Fabia VRS previously but damaged the roof when fitting the roof rack (not badly, couple of scratches) and with the fitment on the Roc being completely rested on paintwork I'd be concerned about damage again! I"m sure VW have thought of this though as it seems to be a similar fitment type across the range....

Added to the retail price from VW of £270 just for the roof bars alone!! I am going to (carefully) carry mine in the boot with the front wheel off and boot lined to prevent water/dirt/ metallic damage.
andyd68
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Pewter Grey

Post by andyd68 »

IMO it spoils the lines of a great looking car by having roof bars and a bike rack
nd10

Post by nd10 »

andyd68 wrote:IMO it spoils the lines of a great looking car by having roof bars and a bike rack

As long as it's simple enough I would only keep them on when needed and take them straight off again.
Nornironman
Options: GT options Sunroof, Parking Sensors, Hill hold, Tyre Sensors, Sat Nav. Cruise control, telephone prep

Post by Nornironman »

I'm hoping Thule will bring out some feet soon so I can reuse what I have had from previous vehicles.

Bike goes in the back with the front wheel off no problems, but any more than one and it's tight. Tri season is nearly over now, so I can wait until next May.
iain
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Deep Black
With a: DSG box
Options: Leather, Winter Pack, Cruise Control, Sat-Nav, Parking Sensors, Boot Liner, 'New Car' scent Magic Tree.

Post by iain »

tjdixon wrote:I transport my MTB in the car with the seats down, you can get 2 in with both wheels off but just need to be careful getting them over the bumper.
Thanks, useful comment - I have been considering a Scirocco for a while and am very close to changing, as a keen mtb-er this answers my first question.
tjdixon wrote:I transported bikes on the roof of my Fabia VRS previously but damaged the roof when fitting the roof rack (not badly, couple of scratches) and with the fitment on the Roc being completely rested on paintwork I'd be concerned about damage again! I"m sure VW have thought of this though as it seems to be a similar fitment type across the range....
I used copter tape on the contact points of my roof rack on my last car which prevented any scratches although I had to put up with some celotape pad bits when the rack wasnt on - http://www.justridingalong.com/shop.php?product=73" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

iain
Gilez
Options: Folding mirrors, luxury mats, Black leather interior, DAB RCD510 Radio, Sill Protectors

LED side, interior, number plate, puddle and footwell lights.

DRL coded off, so side lights only. Beep for alarm set/unset coded on.

Build Week 5 2010
10.02.10 - on the boat to the UK
20.02.10 - Took delivery

Post by Gilez »

I put mine in the back too. I have a "Hatch Bag" bootliner which velcro's in all the right places so you can drop the seats, and with the additional part that flaps out and protects the bumper. Two full sussers in the back no problem with wheels off, and all usual biking related gear.

Plus, bikes in car = less drag and therefore less fuel consumption too :)
I can rely on my car, it's my Roc!!!
Crossbone
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 122/125
Options: Sports package with black alcantara leather seats, metal pedals, tinted rear windows, 18' Interlagos, multi-function steering wheel, rcd 510, 2 zone climatronic, armrest, premium mats, winter package, lights and mirrors package, aluminum foot rest, covered cup holder.

Post by Crossbone »

Yep, it can be done. I put two bikes in the back with the seats down, my racing bike and my friend's mtb. I took off the front wheels on each bike, so I had only 2 wheels spinning around in the back. I think it's the perfect solution, as the VW bars are way too expensive. And as Gilez said, not to mention the increased consumption. Same thing goes for my skis.
Scirocco = the most practical unpractical car you can buy!
simpsod1
Options: Wasn't allowed any!!!

Post by simpsod1 »

nd10 wrote:

Added to the retail price from VW of £270 just for the roof bars alone!! I am going to (carefully) carry mine in the boot with the front wheel off and boot lined to prevent water/dirt/ metallic damage.
Picked a saris bones 3 up myself about 4 weeks ago - no problems so far - have carried 2 adult MTB's and a child's BMX easily.
Ordered mine from http://www.northeastroofracks.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, the blue one is a very good match from my rising blue GT!!!