Fifth Gear - Roc R v Megane RS v Focus RS

Everything about the R for potential owners.
SilverChariot
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Rising Blue
With a: DSG box
Options: Acutally, it's a Golf R.

Fifth Gear - Roc R v Megane RS v Focus RS

Post by SilverChariot »

If you missed the Roc R coming last on Fifth Gear last night, it's available here:
http://fwd.five.tv/fifth-gear/videos/sh ... ot-hatches" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Conditions looked a bit greasy... maybe they should have used the Golf R. :lol:
Golf R - 5 door - DSG - Rising Blue Metallic paint - 19" Gloss Black Talladegas - Leather - RNS 510 - Parking sensors - Cruise control

irocc

Re: Fifth Gear - Roc R v Megane RS v Focus RS

Post by irocc »

Not a real world test. For me the choice would be VW or Ford The megane would fall to pieces and Im not going through that again :(
A lot closer to Aberdeen than you think!!
Grampa
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Viper Green
With a: Manual box
Options: Panoramic Sun Roof, Piano Black interior, black 19" wheels

Post by Grampa »

When choosing my Scirocco (albeit a GT) the Megane 250 was the other car in the frame - nothing wrong with the way it's built (I also had a Megane 225 for three years from 2004 and it was 100% reliable and left me with shakes rattles or undue signs of wear), and it's a superb drive. If costs had worked out the same as the Scirocco (the Megane was £100 a month more despite the cheaper purchase price), it would have been a hard decision, but the Scirocco's better looks would have probably still won the day for me.
Also worth noting that the way I was treated at the Renault dealer from the point of making the first enquiry to the test drive left VW dealers for dead.
A standard Focus is too much of an old man's car for me and with the RS ad ons it just looks too ridiculous to even get a look in as far as I'm concerned.
HardTimesUK
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Deep Black
Options: 19" Lugano Wheels, Rear Parking Sensors, Truffle Leather, Winter Pack

Post by HardTimesUK »

1:28! :eek:

I always wondered what the R would be like with 4 wheel drive.

Saying that though didn't AUTOCAR choose it over their favoured Focus RS?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VqbsWzKJMo
Chungster
Options: One of the 1st Roc R owners in the UK :)

Post by Chungster »

I'm not sure if the conditions were fair to all 3.....same level of dampness etc so makes the whole comparison void in my book!!!
spamdog
In: Rising Blue
Options: Sat nav, leather, reverse sensors, folding mirrors, 19" wheels, Dynaudio.

Post by spamdog »

The megane will always win these arguements ...purely because of its price.
Roc R for me
martinjrose
In: Deep Black
Options: Pretty much all the trimmings

Post by martinjrose »

Hey spamdog

As you know I had the GT before like you and mine is finally being built next week. Just wondering, you have had a fair bit of time with your R now. Was it worth the swap and the money?? Thanks
wigit
Options: I used to own one

Post by wigit »

was catching up on the last two episodes this afternoon and finally watched this, what a poor comparison, in journo land its always about how it performs on the track, i'd be interested if it was their own hard earned cash and they had to keep it for 2/3 years what they'd buy, there again they'd probably a used boxter or cayman :)

Out of the three the Roc has the most kerb appeal and better image

i'm always been a massive fans of clio sports, loved driving them and handing them back, but wouldn't buy one :shake:
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
Grampa
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Viper Green
Options: Panoramic Sun Roof, Piano Black interior, black 19" wheels

Post by Grampa »

spamdog wrote:The megane will always win these arguements ...purely because of its price.
Roc R for me
Depends how you'll finance it - quotes I had, an R was less than £10 a month more than the Megane, but a GT was £100 less than either, which bearing in mind the use I make of the car was more than enough reason (together with expected delivery times) to stick with the GT rather than go with an R
Shaun
In: Reflex Silver
Options: RNS510, DSG, leather, 19" Talladega's, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, front covered cup holder, rear cup holders, piano black cubby hole, Audi R8 oil cap

Post by Shaun »

I saw the review and bought the R :-) , i have owned a few Renaultsports and there brilliant cars that are only let down by build quality (and my crap local dealer), as for the ford i have also owned a few, the last one being a ST and again a brilliant car, never let me down, sounded great but MPG was horrendous and the image is not quite what the VW is