Sat Nav/DVD system Whats in it?

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
cpjames
In: Sumatra
With a: Manual box
Options: Parking Sensor, SatNav/DVD, Mats
Dynaudio
Est. Build Week 10

Sat Nav/DVD system Whats in it?

Post by cpjames »

Chaps,

Ok I appreciate that the Sat Nav/DVD system has .. Sat Nav and DVD options but is there a full list of what is available? When I test drove the roc last weekend i had a quick play and there seems to be traffic and a couple of other things but i had limited time and was supposed to be driving the car LOL. Is there a full function list for it anywhere?

Any help is as always greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Chris
robrob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Deep Black
With a: DSG box
Options: SAT-NAV, PAN SUNROOF, LEATHER, PARKING SENSORS, CRUISE CONTROL, WINTER PACK, FOLDING MIRRORS.

Re: Sat Nav/DVD system Whats in it?

Post by robrob »

What would you like to know?
It's got traffic like you said, that works very well too, postcode search but not full postcode unfortunately just first 4 digits ( our CRV accepts full postcode)
Graphics are excellent; maybe best I’ve seen in a built in unit.
Maps are full EU and since they are downloaded to the hard drive you don’t need to keep the disk in there and so you can watch DVD's on the system, and I think quality is fantastic!

All in all I am happy with it, it does what Sat-Nav is meant to do, and does it well (except postcode could be better) it will direct you from A to B but if you expect it to make you coffee as well you might be disappointed... :)
danbailey77
In: Rising Blue
Options: Sat Nav with Dynaudio, Parking Sensors, Winter Pack, Folding Mirrors, Cruise, Flat Tyre Indicator and mats.

Post by danbailey77 »

As mentioned the Sat Nav doesn't have full postcode but i don't find that a problem. You put in the first 4 digits, the road, which is quick to find as its only searching roads in that postcode area, and a number, Just used it tonight to find a house and it was pin point accurate saying i was there when i was at the drive!!

The traffic is good, you can call up news reports whihc are shown on the map anyway and actually point at roads and it brings up the details of the traffic. It also redirects if possible to avoid queues. Was in Nottingham the first week i had it and I actually lived there for 7 years so know it pretty well. The ring road get sreally busy and it took me a route i'd never been on and saved about 20 minutes for me.

You can search for POIs which are petrol stations, airports, bars, restaurants etc etc which is pretty useful but standard on most Sat Navs I think.

I like the way it changes from light to dark when the headlights are on. Directions come up in the dash display so you can turn the map off and just follow those or vice versa. You can also skip tracks from a pop up window on the screen.

All in all I think its a good system, but I can only compare it to a tom tom at present. Anything else you want to know please ask.
jonosussex
In: Indium Grey
Options: sunroof, leather, satnav, reversing sensors, cruise, winter pack, headlight washers, folding mirrors..

Post by jonosussex »

Sat Nav sounds good (getting my 'rocco Saturday) - but is there a speed camera facility on it?
1996-1999 Mazda 323 2.0 V6
1999-2002 Celica 190
2002-2005 Celica T-sport
2005-2008 Golf GTi
2008-2011 'Roc 2.0 TSi manual - Rising Blue
2011- ?? Roc 2.0 TSi DSG Indium Grey
alex

Post by alex »

I really, really doubt that :P
risingblue1
I drive a: Scirocco R
Options: Sat Nav, Private plate

Post by risingblue1 »

I would never have bought sat nav in a million years but bought a stock car and I must say I am well pleased with the nav very useful although you can still find better routes than it can. Hard disk is good for music as well.
cpjames
Dynaudio
Est. Build Week 10

Post by cpjames »

Thanks guys, I am currently a Tom Tom fan and use it on my PDA. Can you add your own POI's (I assume you can)? I am a tech consultant so am always going to locations i have never been before but then have to go for a few days on the trot so it would be useful to be able to store my own POI's even POI groups (Customers, Friends etc)

The traffic functionality sounds great.. thats a subscription based extra with Tom Tom :-)

Chris
danbailey77
Options: Sat Nav with Dynaudio, Parking Sensors, Winter Pack, Folding Mirrors, Cruise, Flat Tyre Indicator and mats.

Post by danbailey77 »

Hi Chris, you can add favourite desinations and also flag your current destination.

There is no speed camera option though.
wigit
Options: I used to own one

Post by wigit »

tomtom has saved by bacon from the bacon stealth tax on a few occasions now :)
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
alex

Post by alex »

Too bad the sat-nav option costs so damn much... :(
iAmbu
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Candy White
Options: Factory fit: Black Vienna leather, Dynaudio, 19" Lugano alloys

Retro-fitted: H&R springs, REVO Stage 1, OEM VW parking sensors with OPS, RNS-510 sat nav, Video In Motion, FISCON Basic Plus Bluetooth, TPMS

Post by iAmbu »

For the forum members who have VW sat-nav but are used to a portable sat-nav like TomTom (windscreen mounted), how do you find having to look down to see the screen in the centre console? I like my TomTom mounted on the windscreen in the corner by the offside A-pillar, only have to take my eyes a short distance off the road and for a short period of time to check the nav instructions.

Is the navigation shown in the Highline display between the instrument cluster adequate to stop you having to check the main touch screen often?

And I presume the VW one talks to you to give voice navigation too? Is the voice as sexy as Jane's on most TomToms?!?! :D
iAmbu
2.0 TDi (170) - revo - STAGE 1
iAmbu
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Candy White
Options: Factory fit: Black Vienna leather, Dynaudio, 19" Lugano alloys

Retro-fitted: H&R springs, REVO Stage 1, OEM VW parking sensors with OPS, RNS-510 sat nav, Video In Motion, FISCON Basic Plus Bluetooth, TPMS

Post by iAmbu »

palex wrote:Too bad the sat-nav option costs so damn much... :(
If you search this forum, some members (I think iroc being one of them) did not order satnav with their car, but bought a brand new RNS510 sat nav unit from eBay, and swapped this into their car themselves, a 10 minute plug-and-play job.

Saves money, and you should be able to sell the RCD510 standard unit on eBay or a forum, as it is not specific to just the Scirocco.
iAmbu
2.0 TDi (170) - revo - STAGE 1
Kev
Administrator
Options: Leather, cruise, parking sensors, folding mirrors, flat tyre indicator
Sadly replaced in Nov '16 by a TTS!

Post by Kev »

I'm hoping someone who has done it could do a wiki page and maybe some pictures if possible ;)
cpjames
Dynaudio
Est. Build Week 10

Post by cpjames »

I noticed in the demo car that the parking sensor produced a radar type view on the sat nav display when used in conjuction with the sat nav/dvd system.

If you order both do you get that as standard?

Cheers,

Chris
wigit
Options: I used to own one

Post by wigit »

you get the display with the normal head unit not just the sat nav
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
cpjames
Dynaudio
Est. Build Week 10

Post by cpjames »

Cool, Thanks for the info.

Chris
robrob
Options: SAT-NAV, PAN SUNROOF, LEATHER, PARKING SENSORS, CRUISE CONTROL, WINTER PACK, FOLDING MIRRORS.

Post by robrob »

iambu wrote:Is the voice as sexy as Jane's on most TomToms?!?! :D
Haha everybody loves Jane! She has always been my favorite!
Don’t’ expect the same from the VW unit, the direction are in English of course but with a heavy German accent since the car is Greman!

I'm a huge Tom-Tom fan, and their new units are nothing short of brilliant.
I don't think any built in unit is as good and I have tried plenty.
I got the Sat-nav as it was spec on a car already on order (which meant not having to wait for months on end) and I do think it’s good, better than many other built in units I have tried.

The direction on the highline are good enough, and the Nav talks to you anyway, but even looking at the screen is ok, it really isn’t that far down.

By the way, I was kidding about the Greman accent... :)
drnick
Options: leather, Nav, Park sensors

Post by drnick »

aaarrgh, i've got a TomTom for my van and it's driving me nuts!! it's a 730T, only 6 months old and it keeps resetting itself, usually midway through a phone call (i use the handsfree function) and it's sooooo frustrating!! Just in the process of trying to get a replacement unit but they seem to want to repair it!!

As far as the voices go, am i unusual in that i use 'Ken'? Mind you, i very rarely have voice instructions on.............
robrob

Post by robrob »

drnick wrote:am i unusual in that i use 'Ken'?
Not if you’re Barbie, no.... ;)
jonallen628
I drive a: Scirocco R
Options: Black Vienna Leather, 19" Talladegas, RNS-510, 6CD, Dynaudio, Rear Parking Sensors, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Electric Drivers Seat.

Post by jonallen628 »

I have downloaded a flyer from our intranet which is quite a nice summary of functionality in a couple of pages. Not sure how i can make this availible for you guys to view, it's a PDF?
08/11 - 12/13 2.0 TSI R DSG, Black / Black Vienna
01/09 - 08/11 2.0 TSI GT DSG, Black / Truffle Vienna

Black is the new Black....