ALLOY WHEEL CLEANING

Info about the best cleaning products and detailing.
SCOTT

ALLOY WHEEL CLEANING

Post by SCOTT »

Quick question for you lot when you clean your alloys do you just clean the fronts of them, or do you have a brush or similar to clean further in the back of the alloys???

cant get my hand in between them so has to be a brush just worried i might scratch them or do i just clean the fronts?
Anakin
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: 19" wheels Leather, DVD Nav Dynaudio, Phone prep, cruise control and folding mirrors

Re: ALLOY WHEEL CLEANING

Post by Anakin »

http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/ez-detail ... -bikes.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have used one of these and they are awesome.
Solar Orange TT RS
lancs_lad
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Salsa Red
With a: Manual box
Options: DAB Radio, Parking Sensors, Multi Function Steering Wheel, Tyre Pressure Sensors

Post by lancs_lad »

Anakin wrote:http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/ez-detail ... -bikes.php

I have used one of these and they are awesome.
Bit pricey but it looks like the business for wheel cleaners. Just as an addition if you're looking for a decent wheel detergent cleaner I'd recommend Bilberry. It's non acidic and non abrasive unlike some of the better known brands such as wonderwheels which is acid based.
andycowuk
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Rising Blue
Options: Folding Mirrors, Parking Sensor, Mats, I-Pod Lead - one other special option... Corrado G60 :)

Post by andycowuk »

I use my pressure washer, then a sponge with the mcguiers shampoo & conditioner I wash the car with.

If u can be assed to put a wax on, they are even easier to clean week-to-week
trix
Options: Gone but never forgotten; Sumatra, Cruise, Parking Sensors, Flat Tyre Indicator, boot liner, hatchbag, premium sills, SciroccoCentral stickers & hedgehog!
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09
Off to his new home July 2016 after nearly 7 years & 88800 miles.

Missing RW1

Post by trix »

Scott

i'm put this in our detailing section as its slightly more relevant there.
like Andy says above if you wax the wheels when you give them a really good clean (inside & out) they are alot easier to clean next time round, I have put chemical guys wheel sealant on mine to see how that lasts.

S
scirocco
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
Options: Scirocco number two ordered November 3rd 2010 (build week 5), Delivered April 2011
Cruise Control, Premium mats, Mudflaps...

Post by scirocco »

Go to halfords and buy the Maguires version of the above brush for £7.99. My bro spent his money on the one above and the Maguires version is probably better for less money.
autoperfection

Post by autoperfection »

We find the RaceGlaze Extra Long Wheel Brushes the best to get right to the back of the wheels...
http://www.autoperfection.com/shop/Race ... Brush.html

We've used them on just about every car we've Detailed and they've never let us down! Another good one for getting right to the back of the wheels is the EZ Detail Brush, but that's a bit more money...
http://www.autoperfection.com/shop/EZ-Detail-Brush.html

Like all the other guys have said - getting a good coat of wax or sealant on them will make keeping them clean much easier. Rimwax is a great wheel wax - it's easy to use and gives great results, and we also have our own sealant for wheels, which again is very easy to use and gives an great gloss level as well as being long lasting.
http://www.autoperfection.com/shop/Rimw ... l-Wax.html
http://www.autoperfection.com/shop/Auto ... alant.html

Hope this helps!

Taryn and Jim :)
Macman
In: Rising Blue

Post by Macman »

My first time cleaning all the brake pad dust off the insides of alloys.
This stuff is like diesel and its smell lingers to the next day. It caused gasses too whilst I worked and wanted to get it done faster as that surely is carcinogenetic (cancer causing). It dries so fast that you only get 2 spokes and then must rinse. I recommend constant rinsing with a hose and wash with hot water & wax shampoo. It spits all up your arms and gets under your fingernails. This would be best done by a valeter or garage if you value your body for others around you !!

My car now looks like its from a computer game or just from the showroom! Seeing the alloys shine right through is er very different to what you see mostly hehe.
whiteDevil_170
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: 19 inch lugano alloys , Metal pedals, satnav , DAB , leather , parking sensors , Red footwell LEDs , white led interior , hkb door sills , Needle sweep ,Horn beep on open/close , big speedo, drl deactivated, cornering fogs, An ocd for keeping it clean! Gloss black mirrors.
revo stage 1 remap

Post by whiteDevil_170 »

I clean the inside and out. The way I see it is why do half a job. Clean fronts with dirty insides is just wrong ! That sounds wrong aswell haha ;). But I use wheel brush similar to these just a different brand. http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog ... olies.html." onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Managed to get a set through a group buy over on detailing world. Expensive but they do a fantastic job. Also it's well worth sealing your alloys after a good clean and decontamination. I use poor boys wheel sealant. Smells really nice and once applied you only need to use normal car shampoo to clean. After sealing I find i can just use a pressure washer and it removes any dirt/Brake dust.
Jack

;) Lets Roc ;)
Mark V

Post by Mark V »

I only clean the fronts - anything more is just obsessive, lol!!
luckysim0n
In: Salsa Red

Post by luckysim0n »

didn't know you could wax the wheels learn something new every day will be trying that
whiteDevil_170
Options: 19 inch lugano alloys , Metal pedals, satnav , DAB , leather , parking sensors , Red footwell LEDs , white led interior , hkb door sills , Needle sweep ,Horn beep on open/close , big speedo, drl deactivated, cornering fogs, An ocd for keeping it clean! Gloss black mirrors.
revo stage 1 remap

Post by whiteDevil_170 »

Mark V wrote:I only clean the fronts - anything more is just obsessive, lol!!
Anything less is just lazy :lol: ..
Jack

;) Lets Roc ;)
whiteDevil_170
revo stage 1 remap

Post by whiteDevil_170 »

luckysim0n wrote:didn't know you could wax the wheels learn something new every day will be trying that
Wax or sealent. I plan to seal mine with a coat of auto finesse mint rims wheel wax soon. Might do fronts tomorrow and rears next week.
Jack

;) Lets Roc ;)
asquires1

Post by asquires1 »

Ive got the ez detail wheel brush and its very good! Nothing ive found is better than the Wheel woollies. Bit pricey however you do get 3 different sizes

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog ... -cat4.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Roc Hopper
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Reflex Silver
Options: CC RPS
Focal 165 VRS Fronts
HBK Sills and chrome fog rings
La Prealpina Aero Roof Bars off for now
Bluetooth done now
Chrome exhaust tips (yeti)
Recessed front plate

Post by Roc Hopper »

Not quite as obsessive as WD (;-)) but I use AF diluted 10/1 and wheel woollies
Followed by a coat of two of Poorboys wheel sealant - results are great and clean up with a simple bucket & (non) sponge next time round - even my pal with a merc said tonight "f**k me your wheels are even clean on the inside"
It's the way forward :nod:
whiteDevil_170
revo stage 1 remap

Post by whiteDevil_170 »

Roc Hopper wrote:Not quite as obsessive as WD (;-)) but I use AF diluted 10/1 and wheel woollies
Followed by a coat of two of Poorboys wheel sealant - results are great and clean up with a simple bucket & (non) sponge next time round - even my pal with a merc said tonight "f**k me your wheels are even clean on the inside"
It's the way forward :nod:
It certainly is the way forward.. It's the only way. I use to use poor boys sealant aswell but sold it as the gf bought me mint rims. Why does everyone keep saying I'm obsessive :shrug: ..
Jack

;) Lets Roc ;)
Roc Hopper
Focal 165 VRS Fronts
Bluetooth done now
Recessed front plate

Post by Roc Hopper »

Heh I think it's because instead of OCD you have CDO
That way the letters are I the correct alphabetical order

I've seen your cleaning kit pics as have other obsessive cleaners - you are our benchmark !

What's the mint rims like ?
whiteDevil_170
revo stage 1 remap

Post by whiteDevil_170 »

Roc Hopper wrote:Heh I think it's because instead of OCD you have CDO
That way the letters are I the correct alphabetical order

I've seen your cleaning kit pics as have other obsessive cleaners - you are our benchmark !

What's the mint rims like ?
Lol tbh I just like it looking clean as it looks soooo nice!!..
My kit is about half what it use to be. All that would of lasted me a life time. :lol:

Just washed car and packed everything away to return to the car and find a big red and white bird $h!t on the roof :rage: ...

I couldnt be boverd to use the mint rims. So I dont know.the car could do with a machine polish but I havent got to that level yet.
Jack

;) Lets Roc ;)
Roc Hopper
Focal 165 VRS Fronts
Bluetooth done now
Recessed front plate

Post by Roc Hopper »

thats what AG Bird Dropping Remover wipes are for ! Or a shotgun ..........