How do I clay my car?

Info about the best cleaning products and detailing.
iAmbu
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box
Options: Factory fit: Black Vienna leather, Dynaudio, 19" Lugano alloys

Retro-fitted: H&R springs, REVO Stage 1, OEM VW parking sensors with OPS, RNS-510 sat nav, Video In Motion, FISCON Basic Plus Bluetooth, TPMS

How do I clay my car?

Post by iAmbu »

Hi guys

From AutoPerfection I have bought their Clay kit including lube spray etc., but I don't have a clue how to use it!! :doh:

Can someone please enlighten me as to the process involved, equipment needed, etc?

Thanks!!
iAmbu
2.0 TDi (170) - revo - STAGE 1
wigit
Options: I used to own one

Re: How do I clay my car?

Post by wigit »

given jim a call at autoperfection he always gives good advice :yes:
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
trix
Options: Gone but never forgotten; Sumatra, Cruise, Parking Sensors, Flat Tyre Indicator, boot liner, hatchbag, premium sills, SciroccoCentral stickers & hedgehog!
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09
Off to his new home July 2016 after nearly 7 years & 88800 miles.

Missing RW1

Post by trix »

take a look at this.... http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/s ... php?t=4829

the general rule is use a small piece (quarter to half of a bar) & keep finding a clean piece to use. DON'T DROP IT!!

S
scottyroc
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Rising Blue
With a: DSG box
Options: dynaudio 510/leather/heated seats/winterpack/parking sensors/19s/Apr remap

Post by scottyroc »

Hi,

start off by giving the car a good clean using the two bucket method, dry off..

To start with, you best attempting claying panel by panel,mould your clay in your hands until it feels quite pliable and you can make a flat side to it, spray copious amouts of the lubricant over the panel. then rub the clay over the lubricant with medium to soft pressure, if the clay sticks or resists too much then there is not enough lube on, continue this over the entire panel then buff off with a microfibre polishing cloth, continue this process over the entire car.

NB..you will notice your clay getting extremely dirty, dony worry just keep on working it in your hands to keep finding a clean surface....although be careful not to drop you clay as once you do you should discard it and start with a fresh bar..

once complete i reccomend a good polish then 1 or 2 coats of a decent wax
R
iAmbu
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: Factory fit: Black Vienna leather, Dynaudio, 19" Lugano alloys

Retro-fitted: H&R springs, REVO Stage 1, OEM VW parking sensors with OPS, RNS-510 sat nav, Video In Motion, FISCON Basic Plus Bluetooth, TPMS

Post by iAmbu »

Question answered, thanks to everyone!! :D
iAmbu
2.0 TDi (170) - revo - STAGE 1
Evil Derboy
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Deep Black
Options: Leather • Nav

Post by Evil Derboy »

When the clay gets dirty just fold the dirty side in on itself. That way you always have a clean piece. Whatever you do don't use one side then just flip it over or you'll end up with an unusable bit of clay.
Candy Monster
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
Options: Leather, Parking Sensors, Electric Folding Mirrors, Flat Tyre Indicator, DVD Nav, Premium Sills, Alloy pedals, Boot Liner, Custom GT Mats, GT badge, 20s, Cruise, R32 trim, Silver 'A pieces', debadged, White VW badges, Eibach springs, Revo, custom enginge cover, custom air dam, orange rub strips

Post by Candy Monster »

I clayed my car for the first time the other day. It took every mark off the paint, some of which were marks I couldn't get off by any other means upon taking delivery of the car! The paint felt like it had just been waxed, impressive stuff.

I followed the clay up with 2 stage diamond brite a layer of meguiars cleaner wax and layer of meguiars tech wax. I also put rain x on all the lights and glass. Spent 6hrs intotal cleaning and polishing the car but it was well worth it, it's never been so clean and is nicely preped for the winter.

Just another roc and a couple of scoobies to do now...