Why do people airbrush their registration plates

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
Spiney
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Pewter Grey
With a: Manual box
Options: Dynaudio, Cruise, DRL's turned off!
Just added Premium mats and treadplates, because she's worth it!

Why do people airbrush their registration plates

Post by Spiney »

Might be a dumb question but I was wondering why, when posting pictures, most go to the trouble of airbrushing out the number plates.

Are all the Roc's here nicked then :lol:
The Kitchen Shop
http://www.just-cooking.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rising_SiD
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Rising Blue
Options: Metallic Paint, De-badged & No DRL's

Re: Why do people airbrush their registration plates

Post by Rising_SiD »

Haha, no I think its down to car cloning. To be honest not sure, just do it the same as other people!
Scirocket
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White
Options: Premium Bluetooth

Post by Scirocket »

I do this myself.

Main reason is the cloning of number plates has become more and more common in recent years. Criminals basically copy your number plate, have their own plates made up displaying your registration number and put them on a car of the same make/model/colour. They'll use it in a crime and who do the police come looking for? Yep, you've guessed it. It's what the police refer to as 'ringing'.

Another reason is that in the right hands, it may be possible to obtain an address for the registered keeper of the vehicle from its registration and subsequently find out where it is likely to be stored over night. If it's desirable and in demand, bye bye car.
chojin
Options: Rear Park Assist
Cruise Control
Floor Mats

Post by chojin »

Scirocket wrote:I do this myself.

Main reason is the cloning of number plates has become more and more common in recent years. Criminals basically copy your number plate, have their own plates made up displaying your registration number and put them on a car of the same make/model/colour. They'll use it in a crime and who do the police come looking for? Yep, you've guessed it. It's what the police refer to as 'ringing'.

Another reason is that in the right hands, it may be possible to obtain an address for the registered keeper of the vehicle from its registration and subsequently find out where it is likely to be stored over night. If it's desirable and in demand, bye bye car.
Yeah, what he said :lol:
Ordered: July 6th
Build week: 45 - Took delivery build week 48
Spec: GT TDI140, Candy White, Rear Parking Assist, Cruise Control, Factory Mats.
ZephyR
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
Options: 18" Inters, Front fogs, Multi-function steering wheel, Parking sensors & Interior mats

Post by ZephyR »

Yep, that's what I've heard. With common cars a thief will spot a model of the right make and colour quite quickly by just driving round.
Bit harder with Rocs as there's so few on the roads - I've not seen one all week this week. So don't make it easy for them by posting pics with your reg showing on the internet :nod:
youvebinaced
Options: Black Vienna Leather
DVD Sat Nav
Bluetooth Phone System
Panoramic Glass Sun Roof
Parking Sensors
Electrically Folding Door Mirrors
Hill Hold Function
19" Lugano Alloy Wheels
Cruise Control
8K HID Dipped Beam (mod)
LED Sidelights (mod)
Tinted Front Windows (mod)

Post by youvebinaced »

hmmm i should probably hide my plate when i post pics but i really can't be bothered obviously i would be screwing if someone stole my car, but my spare set of keys are not kept at my address and my other set are always on me
My car is now for sale, for just £16,000, fair price so please no silly offers :)
kianok
In: Deep Black
Options: C 320 CDi

Post by kianok »

Not a big issue these days, theives have moved on a bit.
Spiney
Options: Dynaudio, Cruise, DRL's turned off!
Just added Premium mats and treadplates, because she's worth it!

Post by Spiney »

Hmm

Must make up a set of covers so they don't spot me when I'm parked or driving around then
The Kitchen Shop
http://www.just-cooking.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
chr15

Post by chr15 »

I can't be bothered with it, I have had a plate cloned before on a van and never posted pictures. It will happen anyway.
irocc

Post by irocc »

Car registrations and forum stickers can be used in investigations if the police think you are at fault in an accident
What you type in forum threads may be used against you in a court of law :mad: :mad:
A lot closer to Aberdeen than you think!!
daz3031
Options: 18s, front fogs, multifunction steering wheel, cruise control.

Post by daz3031 »

irocc wrote: What you type in forum threads may be used against you in a court of law :mad: :mad:
I always drive sensibly and never ever break the speed limit :rolleyes:
Scirocket
Options: Premium Bluetooth

Post by Scirocket »

There are a host of reasons as to why it's sensible, the web is so vast you have no idea who will look at your stuff, why or what they will do with your information.

By hosting that sort of info on the web, you're making life easier for them. Nobody is suggesting the above technique will be revolutionary in stopping crime, but why leave yourself open to it?

Bottom line is that if you can't be bothered, then don't, but for the sake of 30 seconds in photoshop (select, pipette, delete, fill) I'll continue to do it.

Simple.
rehmondo
With a: DSG box
Options: Leather • Winter • Sunroof • Cruise • DAB • Park • Tyre • Mirrors • Mats • Mudflaps • Prem Sills • Pedals • Jewelultra Diamondbrite • Bluefin Remap • Carbonio CAI • LED Pack

Post by rehmondo »

I do it for the cloning thing - you can obviously dispute a speeding fine if your hundreds of miles away but do you want the hassle?
Nasher
In: Viper Green
Options: Tilt Roof, Cruise Control, Leather Interior, Autoglym life shine, OPS, Black mirror caps, bootliner, steel pedal covers, scirocco sill plates, 19 "Dotz Predators, Revo stage 1, lowered with KW springs, vinyl wrap to roof, plate insert and lower rear splitter - still not sure!

Post by Nasher »

Have always done it as a matter of course......but when we have pics of both cars it looks better coz his reads 'N08'... :shock:

:clap:
kianok
In: Deep Black
Options: C 320 CDi

Post by kianok »

I think the only real value in doing it is a privacy issue. Not sure if its still the same but you used to be able to apply to the DVLA with a registration number and basic car details and (for a small fee) they would tell you who the registered keeper is, so long as the reasons you were requesting the details are valid.

EDIT: you can still do it for a grand sum of £2.50.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Ow ... DG_4022067" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
lancs_lad
In: Salsa Red
Options: DAB Radio, Parking Sensors, Multi Function Steering Wheel, Tyre Pressure Sensors

Post by lancs_lad »

Scirocket wrote:There are a host of reasons as to why it's sensible, the web is so vast you have no idea who will look at your stuff, why or what they will do with your information.

By hosting that sort of info on the web, you're making life easier for them. Nobody is suggesting the above technique will be revolutionary in stopping crime, but why leave yourself open to it?

Bottom line is that if you can't be bothered, then don't, but for the sake of 30 seconds in photoshop (select, pipette, delete, fill) I'll continue to do it.

Simple.
Spot on. I also know that a number of people in the congestion charge areas are doing this. They search the internet for a car similar to theirs, have plates made up and drive in and out of the congestion charge area on false plates. Saves them a small fortune with very little chance of getting caught provided they change the numbers evry now and again.

It causes loads of hassle for the victims. As above why make life easy for the criminals?
scottyroc
I drive a: Scirocco R
Options: dynaudio 510/leather/heated seats/winterpack/parking sensors/19s/Apr remap

Post by scottyroc »

personally i dont bother, seems a little overkill to me, like someone else said..i too had a car plate cloned and that car never appeared on the internet, police came to question me, told them it was'nt me and i did'nt have a clue what they we're on about, never saw the police again..sorted.

All said, i can see why people want to protect info thesedays, i just cant be bothered...tut tut me.
R
robmx
Options: Winter Pack, Cruise Control, Parking Sensors.

Post by robmx »

Same here, I can understand why people do it, but I just can't be bothered, plus it makes the photos look rubbish.
chr15

Post by chr15 »

scottyroc wrote:personally i dont bother, seems a little overkill to me, like someone else said..i too had a car plate cloned and that car never appeared on the internet, police came to question me, told them it was'nt me and i did'nt have a clue what they we're on about, never saw the police again..sorted.

All said, i can see why people want to protect info thesedays, i just cant be bothered...tut tut me.
Atleast yours wasn't used for something more serious and the first thing you knew about it was when the police came to the house at 6.30am and kindly took you to the station for the next 17 hours.
scottyroc
I drive a: Scirocco R
Options: dynaudio 510/leather/heated seats/winterpack/parking sensors/19s/Apr remap

Post by scottyroc »

ouch...17 hours :eyepop: it really is crazy is'nt..

its like you say though, i assume that was in you van which had never been posted online, so it happens without pictures.
R