discount plus scrappage

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
wongy008
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box
Options: Electric retracting mirror
Winter Pack in conjunction with Bi xenon
Bi xenon
Dynaudio Audio
Black Leather
Sport Pedals
Front and rear mats

Build Week 43 ! ! !

discount plus scrappage

Post by wongy008 »

hey guys

sorry for the newbie q's

i am very nearly about to order a roc. i managed to haggle the dealer to give me 8% off the spec of roc i wanted 2 months ago but this was without the scrappage scheme

vw are not offering the £2000 off with the scrappage scheme. how much discount ontop of the scrappage 2k should i be looking to try and haggle

i have no idea
alymac
Options: dvd nav, dynaudio,cruise,parking sensors,leather,19"s,

Re: discount plus scrappage

Post by alymac »

think you will do well to get 8% off in the current market, thats not saying you wont,

i find these guys better up to date with current scirocco news than my suppling dealer, http://www.orangewheels.co.uk/buy-new/v ... rocco.html
trix
Options: Gone but never forgotten; Sumatra, Cruise, Parking Sensors, Flat Tyre Indicator, boot liner, hatchbag, premium sills, SciroccoCentral stickers & hedgehog!
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09
Off to his new home July 2016 after nearly 7 years & 88800 miles.

Missing RW1

Post by trix »

HI Wongy

don't apologise, we're here to help answer any questions you have, we've all be there.

I notice you say you negotiated the 8% off 2 months ago (roughly when i ordered mine), i'm 9 weeks into the wait for my roc but when i ordered i managed to get discount and scrappage on top. I went through Broadspeed which is an online broker who then refer you to a mainstream dealer (not necessarily close by though, mine is 3 hours away). (I did speak to my local dealer but they weren't even willing to match the online deal i got therefore it never got as far as negotiating scrappage on top.)
Through broadspeed i think i managed about 9% discount plus scrappage but that was back in june. since then production has reduced causing significantly longer lead times & had a knock on effect on dealer willingness to discount (in most cases) & second hand prices being sky high (almost as much as list) because of the demand.

Not trying to put you off but just make you aware so you can go in informed or shop around for a better deal. (definitely worth going to 2 or 3 dealers and or brokers!)

I definitely think you will have to speak to them again & make sure that deal is still on the table, i'm sure you can try & get discount on top of scrappage but the jury is out on whether to reveal that you want to include scrappage discount before you negotiate discount or after, personally i think after but they may then recoil in horror.

S
Recce
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Salsa Red
Options: Black Vienna leather seats, Interlagos, DAB Radio, Rear parking sensor

Post by Recce »

alymac wrote:think you will do well to get 8% off in the current market, thats not saying you wont,

i find these guys better up to date with current scirocco news than my suppling dealer, http://www.orangewheels.co.uk/buy-new/v ... rocco.html
I'm also using these guys. Got the advertised discount and the £2000 scrappage, and that was at start of June. Not taken delivery yet though.
I'm not sure of the direct relationship between dealers and websites, but I think for VW, it's only dealers in the Manchester/ Oldham area.
regandjuk
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Sumatra
Options: dynaudio, leather, mirrors, electric seat, tyre pressure gauge

Post by regandjuk »

I think without using a broker you'll struggle to get any discount plus scrappage dude - I got my dealer to agree a £1,500 discount on a tdi 170 and then mentioned scrappage.......so he pulled the discount (fair enough).....but I then played him off against a different dealer to get about £1,000.00 worth of extras (sensors, seats, paint i think, would need to check invoice) thrown in. They can't put it as 'discount', but they can put a credit for the sum against the price on the order sheet. I ordered 28th July, but demand has ramped up even since then by all accounts.

Also, you need to check when your broker/ dealer can get you the car......is it worth the extra £500 discount that one guy's offering you if you'll have to wait an extra month or two (or three, or four......some can't get any cars until Jan now apparently, having used their 2009 allocation up).

Hope this helps!
17th October - Now it's finally mine :) :) :)
wongy008
Bi xenon
Dynaudio Audio
Black Leather
Sport Pedals
Front and rear mats

Build Week 43 ! ! !

Post by wongy008 »

thanks for all your replies there all very much appreciated.

ive been using a different forum for my previous car for about 6 years and the endless "use SEARCH" replies are phenominal and needed. But i guess this forum is relatively new so some questions will not be covered before.

I appreciate we have all been in the same situation before and we all want as best as deal as we can get.

One of my next Q's was who was better to deal with, boradspeed or orangewheels. Ived never used a broker before and its one the second car ive ever purchased brand new. It was easy buying new cars for friends and family. New clio sport, got staff discount and friend worked for them, new Civic type R, dealer approached us bending over backwards to get rid of the car, £4k off list price. My dada new M3, Played 2 dealers of each other again £5k off list price.

i went on the broadspeed web site but u cant click the scrappage scheme option. Is it a deal talked throught with the dealer after the broacdspeed quote ??

i am not really bothered about waiting for the car. my misses and i both have access to other cars so no rush.

in think i will have to go back to the dealer and ask them if offer still stands and about scrappage scheme.

but thanks for ur assistance
Recce
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Salsa Red
Options: Black Vienna leather seats, Interlagos, DAB Radio, Rear parking sensor

Post by Recce »

wongy008 wrote:One of my next Q's was who was better to deal with, boradspeed or orangewheels.
Never used Broadspeed, but I think OrangeWheel feels more like an "introduction" service than a broker.
You don't pay any fee (directly) to OrangeWheels, they just phone you up, confirm your details and then pass them onto the dealer. And from then on it's all dealer. And I had to confirm the discount with scrappage with the dealer.
I think OrangeWheels only deal with a handful of dealers (for VW), so if you're far away from Mancester, you might be looking at a long drive to take delivery
trix
Options: Gone but never forgotten; Sumatra, Cruise, Parking Sensors, Flat Tyre Indicator, boot liner, hatchbag, premium sills, SciroccoCentral stickers & hedgehog!
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09

Missing RW1

Post by trix »

wongy

I went to Broadspeed, Orangewheels, and Drive the Deal (plus one or two other brokers but these worked out the cheapest 3 by a good margin), and 2 local dealers. its worth seeing what price each can offer as their discount varies on the different options so depending on what you want to include you may get a different result to the rest of us. it might also be worth using this price to beat the local dealer up with.

In terms of how they are to deal with, Orangewheels rang me soon after I had requested a price on the website to check if they could do anything & give me abit of background info on them which was nice & didn't pressure again, the dealer Broadspeed referred my enquiry to emailed me within a few hours to make contact & let me know how to reach him if I needed any more information or questions answering. Since then the only company I have had junk emails from is Drive the Deal (this tallys with my dad enquiring a few years through them & then getting junk afterwards). So all in all they all seem reasonable but do not expect the dealer they refer you to to be close by, from memory Orangewheels were going to refer me to a dealer near Cardiff (i'm in Norfolk) & Broadspeed have referred me to a dealer in Telford.

I think the first time scrappage was raised was when i spoke to the dealer and finalised the deal. Broadspeed give you a price based on the spec you create on their website & refer this to the dealer, then I contacted him to ask a few final questions & he asked if i had a car to part ex & i said i had my car to include as scrappage.

S
jc74
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Pewter Grey
With a: DSG box
Options: Cruise Control, Leather, Sunroof, DVD Satnav, Parking Sensors

Post by jc74 »

I think the main concern you'll have with scrappage now, is actually getting a dealer with a car available in time to deliver before the cash runs out! - Don't forget also there is a price rise starting in September, and also the VAT rise at beginning of 2010.
I'd seriously get moving and shopping around asap.
Also, you might want to look at what your scrappage car is worth (if it's more than a grand), you might want to simply part-ex it for a car which is already in stock and just get a decent discount, get the car sooner and avoid the price hikes...
Do the sums and see how the numbers come out...
trix
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09

Missing RW1

Post by trix »

jc74 wrote:I think the main concern you'll have with scrappage now, is actually getting a dealer with a car available in time to deliver before the cash runs out!
jc74 sorry to rain on your parade but the car doesn't have to be delivered by the time the money runs out the money is allocated on order placement/scrappage car being registered on the scrappage scheme & can not be stolen away unless your car does not arrive within 4 months of the money being allocated, although as we have previously discussed some dealers seem to be rather creative in getting round this.
hopefully now the summer shutdown/reduced production has happened this window won't be as tight, mine is certainly looking safer now & i ordered in the midst of the chaos.

i will agree that Wongy needs to get a wiggle on to avoid the price rises & vat rises though.

S
jc74

Post by jc74 »

trix wrote: jc72 sorry to rain on your parade but the car doesn't have to be delivered by the time the money runs out the money is allocated on order placement/scrappage car being registered on the scrappage scheme & can not be stolen away unless your car does not arrive within 4 months of the money being allocated, although as we have previously discussed some dealers seem to be rather creative in getting round this.
hopefully now the summer shutdown/reduced production has happened this window won't be as tight, mine is certainly looking safer now & i ordered in the midst of the chaos.

i will agree that Wongy needs to get a wiggle on to avoid the price rises & mot rises though.

S
Good point, I stand corrected.
But who's jc72 and what's this with mot rises? ;)
trix
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09

Missing RW1

Post by trix »

sorry mot on the brain (mine has to go in for it tomorrow luckily the guy has mot'd it for the last 6 years so will hopefully be nice when i explain it only has to be on the road another month or two)

& i don't know what i was thinking with jc72, i have corrected it.

hopefully i got the point across about wongy needing to avoid the price rises that are soon to happen though.
wongy008
Bi xenon
Dynaudio Audio
Black Leather
Sport Pedals
Front and rear mats

Build Week 43 ! ! !

Post by wongy008 »

cheers guys

ive spoken to broadspeed today and they stated the estimated delivery now is feb/march 2010 ! ! !

fortunately i am in a position to order now, are the new prices effective from sep 1st and when does the vat go back up

im not too bothered about the scrappage scheme, but if i can get it, ill make more than 1k. the car im scrapping is for work. 1.0 micra worth about £500 and i can easily pick up another.

i may try to speak to a dealer tomorrow and see whats the score with the scrappage. the guy i dealt with before is not back at work till sep 1st
trix
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09

Missing RW1

Post by trix »

yes i believe the price rise is from 1st sept and i believe vat is going up at roughly the end of the year but i'm no finance expert so not sure whether this would be added to an order ordered before the increase.

give a few dealers/brokers a call & see what you can get out of them & then casually mention scrappage & see how they react if you're not that bothered if you use the car as scrappage or not. fyi current estimates believe the scrappage 'pot' is going to run out mid october.

S
wongy008
Bi xenon
Dynaudio Audio
Black Leather
Sport Pedals
Front and rear mats

Build Week 43 ! ! !

Post by wongy008 »

well if i cant get £2k off the car aswell as a discount. That would be better.

the guy at broadspeed was not too clear but does he refer u to dealer and the dealer call you ???

if the deal is right i can order the car now ! ! !
trix
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09

Missing RW1

Post by trix »

yeah i got an email from the dealer then rang him to ask questions (as far as i can remember)

go forth & barter!
jc74

Post by jc74 »

The VAT will rise from 1/1/2010. I think it's for anything invoiced and (probably paid) after that date. So unless you're going to pay for the car before receiving it (very bad idea!), I'd make sure you get one before then unless you don't mind paying ~2.5% extra (About £625 for 25k).
I'm assuming the price hike on September 1st will be at least the same amount. (ie delay could cost you around £1200+ anyway)

I don't know which part of the country you're in but if you're not that bothered about scrappage, phone around a few dealers, and see what you can get for cars in stock - you never know might be able to get the spec you want without the wait, and maybe even be able to haggle a decent amount off...

Of course, if you can follow Trix's advise and get a good deal from a broker, then even better!!

Good luck...
wongy008
Bi xenon
Dynaudio Audio
Black Leather
Sport Pedals
Front and rear mats

Build Week 43 ! ! !

Post by wongy008 »

just got off the phone to broadspeed

delivery is looking to be in the region of march/apr 2010 ! ! ! if this is the case ill be looking into the R and not gonna rush

IF i placed order today with £1000 deposit i,d be in a que with the estimated delivery time and cannot be garanteed

Also even if i ordered it today my order will be subject to increase in price for the car and increase in VAT

Also the scrappage scheme not available as the delivery is over 4 months ! ! !

god i got a head ache from all this
trix
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09

Missing RW1

Post by trix »

go lie down in a darkened room wongy.

did you speak to orangewheels or drive the deal to see what their take on the situation is?
jc74

Post by jc74 »

Hmm, not good...
Might be worth phoning up some dealers who may have stock and seeing what specs they can get hold of. Then see what they can give you discount wise.
Hopefully you can bag yourself 5-10% discount + avoid the price and tax hikes, and get the car within a couple of weeks...

http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... f=2&t=2817