Park sensors + display

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
iAmbu
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box
Options: Factory fit: Black Vienna leather, Dynaudio, 19" Lugano alloys

Retro-fitted: H&R springs, REVO Stage 1, OEM VW parking sensors with OPS, RNS-510 sat nav, Video In Motion, FISCON Basic Plus Bluetooth, TPMS

Park sensors + display

Post by iAmbu »

Hi all

I know the general consensus on here is that if you get retrofitted rear parking sensors, they are audible only and the on-screen graphical display does not function.

However, I am sure I have seen people online on other sites talk about having success with this (i.e. Getting the display to work also with retrofitted sensors).

VWNavi.com forum is currently down due to a server upgrade, so can anyone CONFIRM this is possible and/or provide a link??

Many thanks
iAmbu
2.0 TDi (170) - revo - STAGE 1
kurre3
Options: *Dynaudio & Sat Nav, Lights and vision pack with xenon lights
*Premium- and sport pack (DCC, Interlagos, alcantara seats, mats, tinted widows, cruise, winter pack, climtronic, alarm,
black roof lining & black framed air vents)
- Tyre pressaure indicator & media in

Re: Park sensors + display

Post by kurre3 »

I continue my propaganda:

Park sensors are for people who finds it difficult to park a small car! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;)

Learn where the rear ends and spend your money on alcohol or petrol (or diesel). :yes:

btw: sorry for not answering the question :)
sciroccorocket
I drive a: Scirocco R
Options: Parking Sensors Pano roof Sat Nav

Post by sciroccorocket »

kurre3 wrote:I continue my propaganda:

Park sensors are for people who finds it difficult to park a small car! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;)

Learn where the rear ends and spend your money on alcohol or petrol (or diesel). :yes:

that was helpfull :eek:
kianok
In: Deep Black
Options: C 320 CDi

Post by kianok »

sciroccorocket wrote:

that was helpfull :eek:
Hmmm. They are quite useful.

One bump = more than sensors cost = wish you had!
ZephyR
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
Options: 18" Inters, Front fogs, Multi-function steering wheel, Parking sensors & Interior mats

Post by ZephyR »

Wot like headlights are for people who can't see well in the dark and electric windows are for people with very weak arms :shake:
Parking sensors are commonly found on a wide range of cars these days. Apart from being just another toy to play with they do have their genuine useful occasions.
I regard myself as being a pretty competent parker but rearward visibility isn't the best in coupes like the Roc and sometimes they give that extra bit of reassurance. Others may feel less confident about parking any car and will find them invaluable - as Kurre3 says.
Its your choice but many new cars now come with them fitted as standard .... now I wonder WHY ?
kurre3
*Premium- and sport pack (DCC, Interlagos, alcantara seats, mats, tinted widows, cruise, winter pack, climtronic, alarm,

Post by kurre3 »

ZephyR wrote:

Wot like headlights are for people who can't see well in the dark and electric windows are for people with very weak arms :shake:
Parking sensors are commonly found on a wide range of cars these days. Apart from being just another toy to play with they do have their genuine useful occasions.
I regard myself as being a pretty competent parker but rearward visibility isn't the best in coupes like the Roc and sometimes they give that extra bit of reassurance. Others may feel less confident about parking any car and will find them invaluable - as Kurre3 says.
Its your choice but many new cars now come with them fitted as standard .... now I wonder WHY ?
Please don't take me too serious here.. :) I'm buying a sporty car cause I want to drive it rather than be driven by it. I'm sure many see this opt as a toy even if they wouldn't admit it, why else bother if you can't see the animation in the sat nav? Fitting park sensors in a small car in which you can easy see through the rear window is nothing else than "bling bling" to me and it doesn't fit the scirocco's attitude! :shake: Would you go for fully park auto pilot and radar cruise if it was an option too?

edit: Ok ok I admit it: I forgot to check the box and now trying to convince my self. And a few others. :cry:

Now please answer his question, somebody!
/subjective :)
ZephyR
Options: 18" Inters, Front fogs, Multi-function steering wheel, Parking sensors & Interior mats

Post by ZephyR »

Right OK :rolleyes: I'll have a go at answering his question.
Yes it will be possible to have retro-fit sensors made to work with the screen display but it will be prohibitively expensive from what I've heard before.

A standard VW radio / nav unit must be capable of receiving and displaying the sensor view - regardless of whether sensors are fitting or not. If you have sensors and your radio packs up then they will fit a new radio which will still work with your sensors.

An off the shelf set of VW sensors must be capable of transmitting the necessary data to the radio. If you have a shunt in the rear and your bumper and sensors are written off they can replace them with a new set that will still work with your radio display.

So my guess is that its the bit in the middle that's missing - i.e. the wiring loom from the sensors to the radio. Fitting a new wiring loom in an existing car, as opposed to one on the assembly line, would be very expensive.

Oh, and I still think that they are genuinely useful ... for all drivers :lol:
kurre3

Post by kurre3 »

See, I got someone to answer it for you. :yes: Good luck and don't forget to look behind anyway and save your rims! Sensors doesn't react on kerbs!
PAJ
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Rising Blue
With a: DSG box
Options: Folding Mirros, Panoramic Roof, Cruise Control & Parking Sensors

Post by PAJ »

IAmbu,
The following would suggest that it can be done but would be expensive. I bought a stock car so had to go with dealer fit sensors so did some searching and found these links. I admit at the time of getting the car it annoyed me that I did not have the visual display but it bothers me less now and so I have not persued it. They are definitely still worth getting as a dealer fit even with just the audio - the view out the back is restricted by the small rear window but worse is the rear 3/4 view.

What I do find great for avoiding kerbing the rear wheel when parallel parking is the tilting passenger side mirror - great feature.

http://www.kufatec.de/shop/product_info ... olf-5.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.my-gti.com/739/upgrading-of- ... system-ops" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rako
Options: Parking Sensors, Alarm, Climatronic, Winter Pack, Mirror Pack, Multifunction Steering Wheel, Smoking Pack, Sport Pack, 18'' Interlagos, Dynaudio, Badgeless Back

Post by rako »

kurre3 wrote:Please don't take me too serious here.. :) I'm buying a sporty car cause I want to drive it rather than be driven by it. I'm sure many see this opt as a toy even if they wouldn't admit it, why else bother if you can't see the animation in the sat nav? Fitting park sensors in a small car in which you can easy see through the rear window is nothing else than "bling bling" to me and it doesn't fit the scirocco's attitude! :shake: Would you go for fully park auto pilot and radar cruise if it was an option too?
Dude I think you should get your car first, see how it feels to drive and park it without sensors and than make statements like that.
Visibility and feeling of a car in terms of parking is so poor that this thing should actually be a standard.
Playing tough and cool because you can (or think you can) drive without them is a bit silly here.
Trust me you will miss them the first time you'll mess up your bumper and this is the perfect explanation why:
kianok wrote:One bump = more than sensors cost = wish you had!
kurre3

Post by kurre3 »

rako wrote:

kurre3 wrote:Please don't take me too serious here.. :) I'm buying a sporty car cause I want to drive it rather than be driven by it. I'm sure many see this opt as a toy even if they wouldn't admit it, why else bother if you can't see the animation in the sat nav? Fitting park sensors in a small car in which you can easy see through the rear window is nothing else than "bling bling" to me and it doesn't fit the scirocco's attitude! :shake: Would you go for fully park auto pilot and radar cruise if it was an option too?
Dude I think you should get your car first, see how it feels to drive and park it without sensors and than make statements like that.
Visibility and feeling of a car in terms of parking is so poor that this thing should actually be a standard.
Playing tough and cool because you can (or think you can) drive without them is a bit silly here.
Trust me you will miss them the first time you'll mess up your bumper and this is the perfect explanation why:
kianok wrote:One bump = more than sensors cost = wish you had!
Dude, I've had a few test drives in the sciroccos before I ordered.. Lets not make it a "parking sensors war" now! :rolleyes: Sorry for the use of such a strong statement, I thought it was strong enough not to be taken too serious. ;)