Headunit / CD changer

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
shooms
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Pano sunroof, Dynaudio, premium sills, metal pedals & alu gear-knob.

Headunit / CD changer

Post by shooms »

Hi... I've gone for Dynaudio speaker pack...

Is this 10 speakers @ 500 kw or 8 speakers @ 350kw ? And is there a seperate sub ?

Also I've not gone for sat nav / dvd option... does this mean I get a 6 disc changer ? Also is there a HD as standard that I can xfer files to or is it just CD / SD / Aux in ?

Thanks in advance :)
iAmbu
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Candy White
Options: Factory fit: Black Vienna leather, Dynaudio, 19" Lugano alloys

Retro-fitted: H&R springs, REVO Stage 1, OEM VW parking sensors with OPS, RNS-510 sat nav, Video In Motion, FISCON Basic Plus Bluetooth, TPMS

Re: Headunit / CD changer

Post by iAmbu »

Hi,

Yes you get an in-dash 6 CD changer as standard, which can also play MP3 CDs.

It is possible to connect an external USB hard drive to the system, giving you masses of music storage/access. But the standard setup does not come with a HD, so this would be an additional purchase (or breathe life into an old un-used external HD you might have lying around). There are details of this on this forum, try the Search function.

Can't help you with the Dynaudio question I'm afraid!

EDIT: Try this link http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... ?f=2&t=196
iAmbu
2.0 TDi (170) - revo - STAGE 1
iAmbu
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: Factory fit: Black Vienna leather, Dynaudio, 19" Lugano alloys

Retro-fitted: H&R springs, REVO Stage 1, OEM VW parking sensors with OPS, RNS-510 sat nav, Video In Motion, FISCON Basic Plus Bluetooth, TPMS

Post by iAmbu »

In addition to my EDIT note in my first post above, try these links also:

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/t/218980.aspx

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/t/225722.aspx

Hope that helps!
iAmbu
2.0 TDi (170) - revo - STAGE 1
iroc
In: Deep Black
With a: DSG box
Options: Black Leather, Pano Roof, Winter Pack, Mats, Sat Nav, Prem Sills.
Now Sold

Post by iroc »

6 CD is not standard with the nav option. You can pay extra and have a 6 CD changer in the armrest.
The Dynaudio in the roc is 8 speakers 300w.
rehmondo
Options: Leather • Winter • Sunroof • Cruise • DAB • Park • Tyre • Mirrors • Mats • Mudflaps • Prem Sills • Pedals • Jewelultra Diamondbrite • Bluefin Remap • Carbonio CAI • LED Pack

Post by rehmondo »

FYI by adding the 6 CD changer in the armrest, you will lose the MDI (no ipod/usb) unless you get them to fit the CD changer in the glovebox.

However I think they haven't upgraded the armrest CD changer therefore it will not play MP3 CD's - but please confirm with VW as I could just be talking shite.

The purpose of the HDD in the SAT NAV unit is to copy the Sat Nav disc on the HDD (about 10GBS) and use the DVD/CD player as a music player, since the map has been ripped on to the HDD you can then put in MP3 DVD's (in theory) and play those. The remaning HDD space can be used to copy MP3's over, how by using the SD card (I think) but I read somewhere that the SD card does not support sizes greater than 2GB therefore it will take a long time copying over 20GB's worth of music using one 2GB SD card.

Unfortunately I do not have this system in my car therefore this is all speculation as the dealer didn't have a clue!

If you are going for the Sat Nav system then I think the 6 CD changer is a worthless option unless it plays MP3 Cd's
rehmondo
Options: Leather • Winter • Sunroof • Cruise • DAB • Park • Tyre • Mirrors • Mats • Mudflaps • Prem Sills • Pedals • Jewelultra Diamondbrite • Bluefin Remap • Carbonio CAI • LED Pack

Post by rehmondo »

When going for the Standard unit you get 6CD changer (built within the unit and mp3 compatible), the MDI in the armrest comes with USB connector for flash drives and portable HDD - ipod cable won't work when you plug it in, you can get other VW cables for the ipods etc

If you get DAB, then its the same unit but with another button on it that says DAB.
robrob
Options: SAT-NAV, PAN SUNROOF, LEATHER, PARKING SENSORS, CRUISE CONTROL, WINTER PACK, FOLDING MIRRORS.

Post by robrob »

rehmondo wrote:copy the Sat Nav disc on the HDD (about 10GBS) and use the DVD/CD player as a music player, since the map has been ripped on to the HDD you can then put in MP3 DVD's (in theory) and play those.
So are you saying I don't actually need the NAV DVD in the unit for the Navigation to work?
Is this done automatically?
shooms
Options: Pano sunroof, Dynaudio, premium sills, metal pedals & alu gear-knob.

Post by shooms »

Cheers for the replies lads...

Have I got this right then ?

Standard setup (albeit with Dynaudio speakers)

- 6 cd multichanger in the head unit itself (not in the armrest)
- no HD in the head unit
- USB input in the arm rest

In which case that 120gb passport HD looks bob on for 40 sheets to fill with mp3s & leave in the armrest :)

Jobs a good un (unless I've wrongly assumed anything up there)
dchuraman

Post by dchuraman »

thats correct, i believe the USB drive has to be formatted as FAT32 as i used on on NTFS and it didnt work, but didnt try FAT32 as i use my ipod with the ipod cable.
edit: its acutally an MDI interface in the armrest, to which you can connect a variety of adapter cables, USB, MINI USB, iPod etc
rehmondo

Post by rehmondo »

robrob wrote:So are you saying I don't actually need the NAV DVD in the unit for the Navigation to work?
Is this done automatically?
Thats what I was told the main purpose of the HDD is for, can any of the people with Sat Nav comment on this please?

shooms wrote:In which case that 120gb passport HD
Only problem with that is:

1. It doesn't continue a track where you left off - resets to the 1st mp3 in the tree structure.
2. You sometimes have to unplug/plug it in everytime you get in the car and start the engine.

I had a spare WD 250GB and I gave it a try for 2 days, got fed up with it and bought a 16GB iPod nano - works a treat and plays from where you left off!

PS iPod cable is meant to work with "all generations" - didn't work with my 3rd Gen 40GB (2004) model!!!
iroc
Options: Black Leather, Pano Roof, Winter Pack, Mats, Sat Nav, Prem Sills.
Now Sold

Post by iroc »

Thats what I was told the main purpose of the HDD is for, can any of the people with Sat Nav comment on this please?

You don't need to have the nav disc in, it is loaded onto the hard drive, which leaves about 19gb left to download music.
robrob
Options: SAT-NAV, PAN SUNROOF, LEATHER, PARKING SENSORS, CRUISE CONTROL, WINTER PACK, FOLDING MIRRORS.

Post by robrob »

iroc wrote:

You don't need to have the nav disc in, it is loaded onto the hard drive, which leaves about 19gb left to download music.
Cheers guys.
Good to know I can take it out, and watch DVD's! (While sitting in traffic of course...)
jntaras
In: Viper Green
Options: xenons,rcd 510 dynaudio,park pilot,interlagos 18'',tyre pressure indicator

Post by jntaras »

no guys...the cd changer if you order rcd510 or rns510 is in the head unit...not in the armrest...my dealer confirmed this...i think its true
rehmondo

Post by rehmondo »

jntaras wrote:no guys...the cd changer if you order rcd510 or rns510 is in the head unit...not in the armrest...my dealer confirmed this...i think its true
In the spec brochure it said for the Sat Nav HDD with 6CD (in lieu of MDI) which means the CD changer takes the place in the armrest. I've seen so many RNS 510's with 30GB HDD never have I seen one with a 6CD changer built in it.

RCD510 definitly in the unit
RNS510 armrest or glove box.
risingblue1
I drive a: Scirocco R
Options: Sat Nav, Private plate

Post by risingblue1 »

I have the sat nav definatley no cd changer although you don't really need it with 30gb HDD
robrob

Post by robrob »

risingblue1 wrote:I have the sat nav definatley no cd changer although you don't really need it with 30gb HDD
Interesting, I didn't realise the CD Changer was an option with the Nav, and not standard.
I’ve got it, but that means I must have paid extra for it without knowing...

Bit unfair really that it shouldn’t come as standard.
Why should someone who is paying a hell of a lot of money extra to get Sat-Nav have to pay again for something that comes as standard without the Nav???
paulmaddocks
In: Shadow Blue
Options: Black Leather, DAB Radio, Folidng mirrors, Parking sensors, Mats, Flat tyre indicator. Extras: Metal pedals, Boot liner, Premium Door sill trim.

Post by paulmaddocks »

The CD changer is an extra with the NAV. On the configurator you can pick either Sat Nav or Sat Nav with 6CD changer. There is a couple of hundred quid price difference.

I have ordered just the standard radio. But as most people seem to be connecting the iPods in, who is using the CD slots anyway?
wigit
Options: I used to own one

Post by wigit »

after the ipod my reliance on cd will dimish, i cannot remember wahts in what slot, life was so much easier with a single cd :)
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
robrob

Post by robrob »

paulmaddocks wrote:I have ordered just the standard radio. But as most people seem to be connecting the iPods in, who is using the CD slots anyway?
Yes you’re right.
I took the car as it was with all the extras as it was a car on order for one of the managers at the dealership, so meant I only had to wait a few weeks.
Couldn’t really change or choose any extras it didn't already have, but it had everything I wanted, and just had the Sensors fitted retro.

Biggest disadvantage of having the CD changer in the armrest is you lose the MDI, so while you can still play your ipod through the Aux-in, you can't control it from the touch screen except for the volume.
Kev
Administrator
Options: Leather, cruise, parking sensors, folding mirrors, flat tyre indicator
Sadly replaced in Nov '16 by a TTS!

Post by Kev »

DVD touch-screen With 61⁄2" colourscreen, 30 GB hard drive, SD card reader, MP3, WMA and DVD video data
navigation/radio system2, 3 files compatibility and AUX-in socket for connection to external multimedia source
(e.g. iPod and MP3 player). Including multifunction computer(Highline)
£1,180.00

DVD touch-screen With 61⁄2" colourscreen, 30 GB hard drive, SD card reader, MP3, WMA and DVD video data
navigation/radio system2, 3 files compatibility and AUX-in socket for connection to external multimedia source
and 6 CD autochanger (e.g. iPod and MP3 player). Including multifunction computer(Highline) and
armrest-mounted 6 CD autochanger, in lieu of MDI (Multi Device Interface)
£1,390.00