HPFP Cam Follower 'HOW TO'

Everything about the R for potential owners.
mattyfitz
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box

HPFP Cam Follower 'HOW TO'

Post by mattyfitz »

Tools needed:

13mm Spanner
17mm Spanner
Flat head screwdriver
Torx 30
1/2" racket + extension
Cloth

Cam follower, I got mine from Awesomegti which comes with new bolts/o-ring and cam follower but you can get them from the dealers for cheaper.

Place a towel or similar under the HPFP there will be quite abit of fuel coming out.
Undo black screw cap

Use screwdriver to push the schrader valve in to release the high pressure fuel.

Use a 13mm spanner to remove the brass fitting, this is where most of the fuel comes out.

Use a 17mm spanner to undo the fuel line from the bottom of the HPFP. Should be abit more fuel coming out of this as well. You don't have to move it out the way, but be careful when it comes to removing the HPFP not to bend/knick it.

Remove the black plug from the top of the fuel pump, by pushing back on the end of the clip.

Remove the PCV connector by squeezing the tabs together.

Remove the gray plug from the top of the fuel pump, by pushing back on the end of the clip.

The Scirocco R has a rubber hose coming from the bottom of the HPFP, this can stay attached.
Once all these are discounted you can start to undo the three bolts holding the HPFP onto the block. These uses a Torx 30, I used the extension bar as it makes life abit easier. Remove the three bolts.

Wiggle out the HPFP and you should be able to see the cam follower, its easy to remove just put your finger in and get it out. You can see below mine had some wear on it, looks like a chuck is missing but thats just the photo. I inspected the Cam shaft at the same time and it all looked good.

Use some engine oil to lube up the new cam both inside and out.

Replace the O-ring on the fuel pump, smear this with abit of oil as well.

Place the Cam into the block, and re fit the HPFP by doing the reverse of removal. One thing to note is that my fuel pump was on its compression stroke so made it a little be harder to do refit the pump.

All in all took about 30 minutes not very hard job. I left it running for 10 minutes to see if there was any leaks then took it out for a spin. This is to be used as a guide ONLY and i take no responsibility for any damaged caused if your following this guide, this should be undertaken by a competent mechanic. Seek professional help if unsure.
chelspeed
In: Rising Blue
With a: DSG box
Options: Sold it!

Re: HPFP Cam Follower 'HOW TO'

Post by chelspeed »

Back up a step and tell us why you changed it and how you knew it needed changing. I'm guessing the cam follower wear in one of the photos is the giveaway?
mattyfitz
In: Candy White

Post by mattyfitz »

So after alot of research on these engines (google TFSI cam followers) It is recommended that they are checked every so often from what I've read people recommend 20k miles for non mapped and 10k for mapped cars. I've had my car mapped for a while now and are the car jus pushed over 60k.

There were no known issues leading to me changing it only horror stories of people shelling out 2k plus to fix them if they fail. For the sake for 30 minutes under the hood and £50 seems like a good preventative measure. And as you can see from my pictures mine had abit of life left in it.

Also some tell tail signs that people have had is additional loud ticking and hunting when idling, I had neither of these.

And normally when i do work like this i like to write how to's for the community!!
Phil
In: Night Blue
With a: DSG box
Options: Recaro Seats, 19" VW Savannah Wheels, KW DDC Coilovers,R8 Coil Packs, Revo High Flow Intake, Milltek 3.00" Turbo-Back & Hi-Flow Sports Cat, GFB DV+, Rtech PCV Delete, Rtech Stage 2,Remap & Linear Throttle, Rtech Custom DSG Remap, PolarFIS Advanced, Forge Twintercooler

Post by Phil »

Great guide - much needed. Did mine as had no idea when it was last done. However i think 10k isnt a bad base line
Phil
Tymondo
In: Deep Black
Options: R - APR Stage 2+, Milltek cat back no resonated, Peron Intercooler, Forge hoses, Anti-Lift Kit, RS4 FPRV, VWR Induction, VWR Springs, GFB DV+, NGK Iridium plugs. Cup Spoiler and Maxton Splitter, Side skirts and diffuser.
GT TDI - Now sold

Post by Tymondo »

My car was with VRS in Northampton and they changed this as part of the service saying they do it on every service in a mapped car.

I think it's was about £50 for parts and labour so well worth doing by the sounds of it.

Awesome guide :yes:
Scirocco R Build thread -> http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... 13&t=23485" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;