Timing chain

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
Liamcatt
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Night Blue
With a: DSG box

Timing chain

Post by Liamcatt »

Hi,

Followed the forum for a while but first time posting

Looks like my timing chain on my '10 plate scirocco needs replacing, the car has been juddering for a while mostly when accelerating from a stop or low gear/speed round a corner but it is completely random when the car decides to do it, one week it will drive like a dream and the next it will be juddering the balls off it

However the engine warning light has come on a couple of times now, plugged it in to check the error and its flagging up the crankshaft!

The cars 2010 dsg and done 60k miles and full service history, is there any grounds for claiming with VW or is it a case of bite the bullet and get it done? Haven't priced it up yet as I can imagine it being best part of 1k
Komar
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 122/125
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box

Re: Timing chain

Post by Komar »

Mine chain, with tensoiner and other parts that come with that was replaced for around 430 € with labor.......same simptoms as you have...

not at the dealer, there I would pay for the same job probablly x2 that price....
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

It could just be a faulty crankshaft sensor. It's quite a common failure on VAG cars.
Liamcatt

Post by Liamcatt »

I don't think it will be a faulty sensor as the car actually judders when setting off
But then again, some days it is fine and drives perfect

Family member works at a garage so they are pricing it up for me
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

That's one of the symptoms of a a faulty crank sensor (engine speed sensor) and in some cases when it fails the car cuts out and won't restart.

When you get chain stretch you tend to get correlation errors reported by the cam sensors.

Good luck and remember to come back and tell us the outcome.
Liamcatt

Post by Liamcatt »

Finally got round to getting the car on the ramp and having a look to locate the sensor.

Looks a pain to get to underneath but should be getting it swapped out next week

Liam
blower
In: Reflex Silver

Post by blower »

Good luck! - it is a pita to get to, supercharger has to come off and to take that off a load of the air intake / charge hoses and ducting needs to come off the top.
sciroccosam1
In: Deep Black
Options: Black gloss Wolfrace Scorpio 17", Kenwood DAB Multimedia System, Dectane smoked LED sidelights/indicators, Smoked LED taillights, LED number plate lights, Front bumper lip, Personal numberplate, Privacy glass, Red brake calipers, Black gloss exhaust caps

Post by sciroccosam1 »

I had this same issue where the engine judders sometimes very aggressively when accelerating from junctions/lights etc, it's a common fault with the 1.4 TSI 160's where the clutch pack wears out very quick, they did mine under warranty and had the car for a few days.

Here's a link to the thread, http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... er#p179483" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sorry to hear you're having this problem, it's about time VW did something about it.
Liamcatt

Post by Liamcatt »

Had it out today but they are struggling getting it out, is there a bolt which needs to be removed or something which they are saying they don't have the tool for?
Liamcatt

Post by Liamcatt »

Does anybody know of a garage that is able to do this in the Manchester area?

My garage are not able to do it due to the gearbox/programming??

Thanks
Liamcatt

Post by Liamcatt »

Timing chain slipped at the weekend, drove the car fine to the supermarket Sunday morning, go to drive it home and car sounded really rough so I nursed it home then go to get in the car later in the day and it doesn't start

Fingers crossed it hasn't done more damage inside :no: