New turbo on 1.4 TSI 118kW

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
janherko
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Viper Green
With a: Manual box
Options: Alcantara, Bi-xenons, Full LED interior, Metal pedals, Sensors, RNS 510, 18" Interlagos piano black, Pearl black foldable mirrors, Winter pack, Pirelli PZero Nero 235/40, Pipercross air filter, New complete pistons, New K03 BorgWarner turbo, Full LED tail lights, Full LED front indicators

New turbo on 1.4 TSI 118kW

Post by janherko »

Hi everyone driving the twincharger and interested,

just wanted to share my experience with a brand new K03 BorgWarner in it, fitted a few days ago...
As I intend to be using the Rocco a couple of years to come (mostly because there's pretty much nothing out there I'd fall for at similar price and my overall investments to it make me think I just should give her some time to convince me it's still a good car:)

Nevertheless, it's been more than once that I'd feel a slight hesitation in upper rpms...somebody said in one thread here that any kind of lag when supercharger drops out and turbo is supposed to kick in means something is wrong. 1.4 TSI is twincharged mainly in order to avoid any unwanted lag within a whole rpm range. I must say I used to feel some weird lag when accelerating, and exactly around 3500-4000 rpm, when turbo starts to pull on its own. Even after that, the boost was sometimes there, sometimes a bit confused...That said, up until now, with the brand new turbo fitted, I didn't always trust the car...though never recorded any special fault code relating to turbocharger itself.

So long story short, I managed to get a brand new K03 from Germany for a very reasonable price and had it fitted by a good friend of mine, who happens to be a mechanic.

The boost and overall drive in higher rpm is simply amazing...the turbo was made in May 2016, according to the sticker, and I'm not sure if its revisions mean anything (it's been revised 3 times since the original K03 in late 2008), but the car now pulls just right. Absolutely no hesitation and nice linear boost all the way from 2000 to almost 7000 rpm.
Last edited by janherko on Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stefano82
In: Deep Black

Re: New turbo on 1.4 TSI 118kW

Post by Stefano82 »

Have you evaluated the play of the axle of the old turbo ?
janherko
In: Viper Green
Options: Alcantara, Bi-xenons, Full LED interior, Metal pedals, Sensors, RNS 510, 18" Interlagos piano black, Pearl black foldable mirrors, Winter pack, Pirelli PZero Nero 235/40, Pipercross air filter, New complete pistons, New K03 BorgWarner turbo, Full LED tail lights, Full LED front indicators

Re: New turbo on 1.4 TSI 118kW

Post by janherko »

Yes, I have a guy checking the old turbo in a couple of days, I'm interested what he flnds out that could've been wrong, too.