de-icer?

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
mgreer11
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box

de-icer?

Post by mgreer11 »

De-icer? Warm water? I'm guessing the former is going to mess up my new Scirocco's paint?
Andy Rocc
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White
Options: ...
Factory 19" Black Lugano Pack
Factory Heated Black Leather

Added Extras...

Eibach Pro Kit
Audi TT/S3 Short Shifter
Gloss Black Mirror Covers
Gloss Black VW Emblems

Re: de-icer?

Post by Andy Rocc »

I once used de-icer many years ago on my first car, I read the the side of the can which stated "avoid contact with paint and rubber" so I've never used it since!
rm0rgan
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: SOLD

Post by rm0rgan »

Warm water does the trick - I've also seen some people spray on a mixture of water and vinegar.

Today however, I just pressed the button for my thermal windscreen* and watched it just melt away :)

*loving my new QashQai! :yes:
<<<< He who laughs last, thinks slowest. >>>>
xjay1337
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: Hybrid VKLR, BSR Ported Head, BSR Valve Springs, BSR CP3, THS IC, Revo /Forge Intake, Oil Cooler, , 3” Eurojet TBE, AKS SS kit, Recaro PP, Schroth 4 point, Rear seat delete, R bumper, CF GT24 Bonnet, VWR Spoiler, OZ 18x9 Et43, DB9 BBK w/ 340mm discs, pMu H16, S3 rear brakes, DNX520VBT, Hertz Audio

Post by xjay1337 »

You should absolutely not use warm water!!!! If you use water then use COLD water..... or you risk cracking your windscreen.

De-icer is fine to use on glass. It may damage rubbers if you soak them and leave them time and time again but normally you are fine... It's just mainly Isopropyl Alcohol which is the main ingredient which is fine on paint and glass so long as you don't leave it on there.. on a factory paint job it will be fine.
It may degrade waxes or sealant coats ever so slightly but again everything is a compromise.

If you treat your glass with a coating such as Car Pro FlyBy40 or Gtechniq G1 then the ice will not stick as easily anyway so be easier to clear.

You can also put on a treatment before you go to bed which will prevent the frost from setting on your windscreen.
click for build thread
Check out Fat Bear Photography
Kev
Administrator
Options: Leather, cruise, parking sensors, folding mirrors, flat tyre indicator
Sadly replaced in Nov '16 by a TTS!

Post by Kev »

I have a water bottle I fill with hot tap water and that's fine. Never cracked any glass in years. Obviously kettle hot is going to crack it.

I've used de-icer sprays for years and years and never seen any issues with paint or rubber. I figure it streams off as soon as you start driving anyway and anything that runs to the bottom of the screen gets diluted by water doing the same.
matt_j_smith
In: Night Blue
Options: Heated Seats, Parking Sensors, Exclusive 2 tone leather, Sat Nav, Red outline front.

Post by matt_j_smith »

I'm not a fan of de-icer or water if I can help it.. so, with the gf's xr3i in the garage I resorted to a towel haha - worked a treat.

the xr3i is 25 years old and has a heated windscreen - Damn you ford and your patents!

salsajoe
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Salsa Red
Options: multifunction steering wheel, fogs, 18" alloys; DAB; XDS activated, DRLs reset, lock beep activated; indicator repeat set to 4; covered cup holder, rear seat 12v socket installed. metal pedals, 210 Golf GTi also in the stable. Scirocco gone - miss it. Polo GTI now.

Post by salsajoe »

Still miss my black XR3i and heated screen and ease of maintenance - one of the last ones built. Did 150k with no problems, just changed the shockers for bilsteins after a couple of years. Never use de-icer or warm water just cover the windscreen or put it in the garage if I get home first!!
matt_j_smith
Options: Heated Seats, Parking Sensors, Exclusive 2 tone leather, Sat Nav, Red outline front.

Post by matt_j_smith »

its the gf's really. I just bought it for her so I could get back into the ford scene. I miss my old xr2i the most, was such a littler fighter of a car, just kept going through thick and thin!

mini thread hijack (sorry!)- our 3i

salsajoe
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Salsa Red
Options: multifunction steering wheel, fogs, 18" alloys; DAB; XDS activated, DRLs reset, lock beep activated; indicator repeat set to 4; covered cup holder, rear seat 12v socket installed. metal pedals, 210 Golf GTi also in the stable. Scirocco gone - miss it. Polo GTI now.

Post by salsajoe »

Sorry about the hijack too. Mine was an H reg. Yours looks in really good nick. Like the bonnet louvre vents - from an RS?
matt_j_smith

Post by matt_j_smith »

its very clean cheers :) yup from an rs - its got a 1.8 zvh too :) love an old ford.
D C
I drive a: R-Line
In: Viper Green
Options: cruise, electric seat, 19"Luganos

Post by D C »

A 10 litre watering can full of luke warm water has worked for me for +50 years and never any cracked glass, even at minus 15.
Poured as slowly as possible over windscreen so the glass heats up a bit, that way it doesn't re-freeze when you move off.
Dave.
Dave.
Ryy
In: Viper Green
Options: Sat Nav, Heated Leather Seats, Dynaudio, Kit with 19" alloys, 30mm Front / 20mm Rear Lowering Springs, Folding Mirrors, Interior Mats, REVO Stage 1, Carbon wrapped bits and bobs.

Post by Ryy »

Fill the kettle up from the cold tap and pour away. If you can get in your car before hand, start the engine first and whack the crappy front windscreen heater on too, at least you get an extra minutes worth of it taking forever to help