boot noise??

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
yogurt
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box
Options: sat nav, sun roof, parking sensors,cruise control kenwood headset with TV,

boot noise??

Post by yogurt »

Ive not had my scirocco long but i do find a lot of noise coming from the boot, not sure if its TYRE/ROAD or BEARING,Does any body else find this,thanks
Cuprabob
In: Rising Blue
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Re: boot noise??

Post by Cuprabob »

It could be coming from the rear tyres as sawtooth tyre wear is common which manifests itself as a drone / rumbling noise.
yogurt
In: Candy White
Options: sat nav, sun roof, parking sensors,cruise control kenwood headset with TV,

Post by yogurt »

I do think "Drone" is the best way to describe this noise,cheers Going to check tyre wear !
Jason81
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Deep Black
Options: - Rear Parking Sensors
- Parrot Bluetooth
- LED Sidelights

Post by Jason81 »

I had excessive noise from the front a while back, and it was particularly loud on rough roads & motorway roads. So changed the front two tyres for fresh tyres and this immediately cured it. Best to check the tyres.
jackhay
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Reflex Silver
With a: DSG box
Options: Leather seats, parking sensors, carbon dash trim

Post by jackhay »

I have the same road noise from the rear. When I got my Roc and drove it home along the motorway, one of my first impressions was how noisy the car is at motorway speeds. It does mostly come from the boot area suggesting it is tyre noise. It would be quite tiring on a long journey. I checked the pressures, which are fine. There is plenty of tread on the rears so changing them is not an option but I might try swapping them with the fronts, which are a different brand.
eddie_gordo
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI

Post by eddie_gordo »

Just out of curiosity (I also think my Roc is a bit loud on motorway), what can cause this kind of tyre wear?
salsajoe
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Salsa Red
Options: multifunction steering wheel, fogs, 18" alloys; DAB; XDS activated, DRLs reset, lock beep activated; indicator repeat set to 4; covered cup holder, rear seat 12v socket installed. metal pedals, 210 Golf GTi also in the stable. Scirocco gone - miss it. Polo GTI now.

Post by salsajoe »

eddie_gordo wrote:Just out of curiosity (I also think my Roc is a bit loud on motorway), what can cause this kind of tyre wear?
Could be wheel alignment. There was a comment some time ago that the rear suspension was checked on the production line with the car off the ground. Not sure that is true but it seems a common problem with the Scirocco. Mine started to get loud at about 25k miles. If it is not too bad swapping front to rear seems to help. I intend to get my wheel alignment checked when I get new tyres on Hunter equipment.
eddie_gordo
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI

Post by eddie_gordo »

Wheel alignment is not that expensive here in Portugal (about 25€, or £20), I just bought my Scirocco a couple weeks ago, maybe I'll get it properly aligned and rotate tyres to see if the noise goes away. :)
sperk389
In: Opal Silver

Post by sperk389 »

spoke to a VW fitter and he tells me the scriocco has bad tyre ware ... this causes loud noises from both front and rear sounding like bearing noises but not.
sperk389
In: Opal Silver

Post by sperk389 »

mine has come back from VW main dealer. Ive had new tyres fitted to both front and rear, all road noised and clunking have been eliminated. Except the normal (loud) road noise you get from our rocco's
Mwh673
In: Deep Black
Options: Leather seats
Cruise control
Parking sensors
Electric folding mirrors

Noise

Post by Mwh673 »

I recently traded in my 140tdi roc for a 170tdi. The new one seems to be much louder on motorway drives, sounds like tyre noise. Has anyone experienced high noise levels with the 170 for any reason?