Top Sat Nav Systems

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
rehmondo
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Leather • Winter • Sunroof • Cruise • DAB • Park • Tyre • Mirrors • Mats • Mudflaps • Prem Sills • Pedals • Jewelultra Diamondbrite • Bluefin Remap • Carbonio CAI • LED Pack

Top Sat Nav Systems

Post by rehmondo »

Now that my car has changed and I'm not getting Sat Nav built in, I'm just wondering if anyone knows whats what when it comes to portable Sat Navs, budget won't be an issue, need something that works fast, accurate and looks smart, oh and can easily have the maps updated via internet/pc.

I was thinking the space where the smoker pack would sit would be ideal for a nice screen to fit in, but am I correct in thinking these portable systems need to be close to the windscreen to get a decent signal?

Thanks in advance
HantsMan

Re: Top Sat Nav Systems

Post by HantsMan »

I have the Navman S30, only the basic model but fits my needs. S50 and S70 also ment to be ok
Although the TomToms are still rated the best.

Try http://stuff.tv/Top10/Sat-nav

Sat Navs do require clear line of site to sky. Although putting it in other locations will depend on the
amount of metal work in the way. You can get aerials that people with the heat coated windscreens
use.
Last edited by HantsMan on Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paulmaddocks
In: Shadow Blue
Options: Black Leather, DAB Radio, Folidng mirrors, Parking sensors, Mats, Flat tyre indicator. Extras: Metal pedals, Boot liner, Premium Door sill trim.

Post by paulmaddocks »

Hey.

I was thinking of doing exactly the same thing when I get my Rocco. Currently use a Tom Tom system on an old iPAQ with GPS receiver. This was the best budget option back in the day but things have moved on and price has come down considerably since then. Would be looking for a portable unit to plug into the 12v and stick to the screen when needed. Needs to be able to updated with custom POIs (for safety camera dbs etc) and map updates would be a bonus (uk only really needed though).

On the side though, another thread either here or in the Mod section is covering the purchase of the VW Sat Nav unit to retro fit to the car. Apparently very easy to fit and can be picked up for around £1000 (which is a saving over the factory option!). Might be worth looking into in your case as you wanted it before!

Hopefully my rocco won't be delayed quite so much and I will be able to collect end of November / early December.
wigit
Options: I used to own one

Post by wigit »

we've got a tom tom 3 and 4, have just fitted the mount for a 3 in a golf gti so similar, tom tom do adheasive pads so pad stuck to underside of dash (below ventilation controls) above where storage carpartment and sits, the 4 will be neater as has the fancy mount which is good as have been using it in a number of cars, planning on using the same approach on the iroc, given you need a good seal for the sunction cup element the pad to aid this was to big to put in the storage panel on the golf so will need to see, i'll try to take some piccies, tom tom is cheap and does me, the 4 does locate better and was pretty good around mallorca last week
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
shooms
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Pano sunroof, Dynaudio, premium sills, metal pedals & alu gear-knob.

Post by shooms »

I've got Garmin XT loaded on my Nokia N95 mobile... live updates & camera alerts too :D

Never let me down yet... can upload the exe to somewhere if you want to download
owen316
In: Deep Black
Options: Black Leather, Winter Pack, Dynaudio, Flat Tyre Indicator, Free Mats!!

Post by owen316 »

Tom Tom 570, has europe on and free speed cameras on too. Never let me down!
On Order: 2.0TSI, DSG, Deep Black, Black Leather, Dynaudio, Winter Pack, Flat Tyre Indticator, Mats
iroc
In: Deep Black
Options: Black Leather, Pano Roof, Winter Pack, Mats, Sat Nav, Prem Sills.
Now Sold

Post by iroc »

See attached links. Both are great units IMO and really don't need a seperate aerial so long as the the unit is visible through the windows.

Garmin 860T

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=9650

TomTom 730/730T

http://www.tomtom.com/products/product. ... ry=0&Lid=1
albertz33
In: Viper Green
With a: Manual box
Options: dab radio, dynaudio speakers

Post by albertz33 »

Tom Tom XL, with the widescreen and the irish bint's voice, never let me down yet, my mate has built in satnav in his C70 and its rubbish, he's always borrowing mine.

£200 i think :yes: