ACC settings.

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
jazzer12
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Parking sensors

ACC settings.

Post by jazzer12 »

In last week's "Top Gear" it was revealed that a car went round their track in "Normal", "Sport Mode" and "Comfort" and the lap times were exactly the same......in fact "comfort" was .01 faster! Does this mean that we have been fooling ourselves about the advantage these settings give us. I usually drive in "normal" except when I'm on a motorway, when I engage "comfort" which makes the car feel more relaxed and smoother. When I engage "sport" the car suspension does stiffen up, the steering wheel feels heavier and the throttle response seems quicker.......but as the "Top Gear" test has revealed, you're not going faster.....it just feels that way. So we might as well ignore "sports" as a gimmick which gives the illusion of speed and drinks more petrol. In any case, keeping the car in "normal" allows the computer to alter the settings according to the road and the way you're driving. I would be interested in other owners' thoughts on this matter.
butchcannon
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White

Re: ACC settings.

Post by butchcannon »

When I first got the car I like having it in Sport all the time, "It's a sporty ca" I thought " so it needs to be in sport mode".

more i've driven it though i don;t noticed a huge difference between this and normal. the steeering is slightly heavier, but i can't say that's exactly a good thing. Certainly no difference in throttle - that's not what it's for. That might be a placebo effect you're experiencing

I tend to leave in Normal unless I'm on some nice twisty roads when I put it in sport. Comfort for motorways or the driveway up to work with all the speedbumps!
dimexi
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Deep Black
Options: Parking Sensors

VAGCOM Mods:
DRL/PRL off
Needle sweep
XDS on
Big mph speedo
Alarm beep
Comfort indicator blinks adjusted to 4
Windows close via rain sensor

Other Mods:
Metal Pedals
Self installed VW OEM Bluetooth 7P6(L)
Self installed Cruise Control
RNS510
Stage 1 Bluefin

Post by dimexi »

I thought that was a bit of a "non-test" really. The changes in ACC will not make your vehicle faster, it just changes the comfort level. Also, a quicker throttle response doesnt necessarily mean you'd hit 60mph any sooner, there could be other factors.
I think that comment on top gear was used to "fill" time, as I dont believe anyone thought it made their vehicle quicker.

The reason I use it is for a stiffer suspension and better cornering
rm0rgan
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: SOLD

Post by rm0rgan »

I leave it in Comfort as I'm an old fart. :yes:
<<<< He who laughs last, thinks slowest. >>>>