Baby seat questions

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
darius6745
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box

Baby seat questions

Post by darius6745 »

Hi all,
Me and the mrs will soon be having our first child in june and am just wondering if the scirocco is going to be any good. We have a pram which does actually fit in the boot (just) but the issue i have is with the car seat. Now i cant seem to find much info on this just from what people tell me. Ive read on other topics that the isofix babes are not compatible with the bucket style seats in the roc, if so why is there the isofix points? even without the base the seat does fit in but is extremely close to the front seats, i also have been told that a baby car seat cannot be right next to a side airbag...and there is one in the side of the front seats? i just want it to be safe for our new born and just concerned its going to be too small. Anyone had any experiences with babies in these cars? any problems?

Cheers in advance
Gilez
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
Options: Folding mirrors, luxury mats, Black leather interior, DAB RCD510 Radio, Sill Protectors

LED side, interior, number plate, puddle and footwell lights.

DRL coded off, so side lights only. Beep for alarm set/unset coded on.

Build Week 5 2010
10.02.10 - on the boat to the UK
20.02.10 - Took delivery

Re: Baby seat questions

Post by Gilez »

I'm not sure about the side airbags - that is the first I have heard of that one. We didn't have an isofix base for the car seat, so strapped the car seat in with the seat belt. We mainly put them in the back, to save isolating the front passenger airbag. The only thing I found was the depth of the back seats, as they dip back, so had to "pack" the seat with a cushion so that the baby car seat wasn't titled too far back. Not so much of a problem in the front, as you can adjust the seat position.

In terms of getting in and out of the back, this wasn't too much of a problem. I found the armrest a perfect place to sit on whilst sorting out the little one/strapping the seat in, in the back!
I can rely on my car, it's my Roc!!!
Pie n chips
With a: DSG box

Post by Pie n chips »

Don't forget the seat will be rear facing for at least the first 9 months, so when docked you'll need to pull the front seat forward the clear the baby seat.

We have a Recaro baby zen with an Isofix base, it fits fine, but it is awkward loading and unloading seat plus baba, once hes in its fine, but doing it several times a day all week long is a different matter, thankfully we have an Altea for daily duties.
Sold up years ago :)
mr_patrick_bateman
Options: Winter pack

Post by mr_patrick_bateman »

I had this problem when getting a seat for my little boy, the rear seat base is narrow, i went for a britax prince in the end its for narrow seats and fits perfectly in the back and still fits him now he is 2. Its belted but easy to remove and refit.
Sensorei
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Silver Leaf
Options: Satnav, PDC, Bluetooth, Electric heated seats, Leather, Cruise control

Post by Sensorei »

With or without an isofix baby seat there is enough space. I have an 11 month old baby and our graco isofix seat fits with no hassle as well as our other spare non isofix.
creamdeluxec
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Deep Black

Post by creamdeluxec »

Hi,

We are also expecting our first child and wondering which pram to buy. So far the Quinny Buzz fits if we remove the tires. Wondering if the Bugaboo bee will too. Anyone with the same pram and managed to fit it into the boot of their Scirocco?

darius6745 What pram do you have? Searching real hard to find a suitable pram for the boot as we want to avoid having to buy a new car, as they are very expensive here in Singapore. Thanks!
butchcannon
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI

Post by butchcannon »

Hi guys,

last weekend the wife and I went car seat shopping as a make or break day for the scirocco.

we found out that the recaro isofix base doesn't fit properly in the rear seat - when it's pushed all the way back the leg isn't reaching the floor properly, strange given this is the one VW recommend!

we found the best way of getting the rear facing seat in /out is to have the isofix base on the seat behind the passenger, but put baby and child seat in/out via the drivers door. This way you can put the car seat on the rear seat behind drivers seat, climb in and sit on the arm rest, then lift the seat with both hadns and place on the base. much easier than trying to squeeze it in one handed between B pillar and back of passengers seat. Also means you only have to leave excessive door space one side!

as for buggies, we found that the quinny Buzz fitted fine by removing just one of the big wheels which is very easy to do with the quick release button. Fitted fine in the boot with the main pushchair section. Works with the maxi-0cosi pebble seat which is the one the wife found easiest to position and click into the base.

thankfully the car is saved!