Iphone link to RNS 510

Everything about the R for potential owners.
mo_bay
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Rising Blue
With a: DSG box

Iphone link to RNS 510

Post by mo_bay »

Hi,

I am not sure of any has experienced the same, but I find my link to iPhone (using MDI Cable) a bit erratic. It freezes some time, choosing of a podcast to play seems "pure luck!!" as it could play a podcast different to the one you have selected. The dealer hasn't a clue!! Any advice would help a lot.

Thanks

Mo

Scirocco R in Rising Blue
James321
Options: REVO Stage 2+, Bilstein B16 iRC, Supalloy Wishbones, Akrapovic Carbon Exhaust, Revo Intake, EuroJet Intercooler. (Wife's car)
I'm in an RS5

Re: Iphone link to RNS 510

Post by James321 »

Ive never tried it with my iPhone but I did buy a little ipod Nano which lives in the car. I've had it freeze up on my once in 6 months where non of the steering wheel or dash controls would respond. It was just a quick unplug of the Nano and reconnect it and everything was back to normal.

I'm sure it happened just after I'd uploaded some more music to the Nano so may have something to do with that?
RS5, Scirocco R. You can never have enough R's
Shorum
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Shadow Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Dynaudio

Post by Shorum »

There was a firmware update that you downloaded onto USB and then plugged in. I still have some issues with it once in a while, but the update did help. The worst thing I found was the iPhone interference. I now just have an old iPod touch plugged in (since I don't have an adapter for the iPhone5) and this seems to be without issue.
Ashb

Post by Ashb »

I also have the same problem. It worked once last week but gave out a very distorted sound. It doesnt work at all now. I have called the sales guy and waiting for feedback. Mo_bay has your issue been fixed?
mo_bay

Post by mo_bay »

Hi Ashb,

I had the dealer inspects the issue during the first service, found nothing. I found the Bluetooth connection more sturdy than the MDI cable. I have given up on the MDI cable and iPhone. I am now using an old iPod touch which sits permanently in the car. This seems OK.
Ashb

Post by Ashb »

Hey Mo, yeah its defintely alot more stable but its not the best sound quality. I cant believe they would f@#k up something so simple. I tried an ipod with an adapter but i just get a distorted sound.
dstill
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Candy White
Options: Panoramic sunroof
19 inch Lugano black alloys/pack
RNS 510
Winter pack
Folding mirrors
Reversing sensors
Full interior LED's
Cruise control
Alloy footrest

Post by dstill »

Are you guys using an iPhone 4 or 5? I have a 5 and I cannot get any sound out of the speakers when streaming music from my phone via bluetooth. I have an RNS 510.
mo_bay

Post by mo_bay »

Hi dstill,
I have an iPhone 4. It works fine on Bluetooth. Just annoying that I have to update contents (music, podcasts, etc) on both my iPod (to use with MDI) and iPhone instead of one ios device.
maq
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Deep Black
Options: 19" Black Luganos/Style Pack, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensor, RNS-510 + VIM patch, VW Bluetooth & A2DP, Cruise Control, Aluminium Pedals

Post by maq »

dstill, think I posted this in another of your threads but your streaming issue is most likely due to RNS firmware versions.

If you can confirm what version you're running, as I can't remember which you need without checking.
slimfastdodger
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
Options: 19 Luganos, leather, parking sensors

Post by slimfastdodger »

i cant really seem to find an answer anywhere, but im in the process of buying a 59plate tdi140, it has an mdi slot and i have an iPhone 5, will have a mdi to usb cable and then plugging my iphone usb cable into that work to charge it and play music from it? alternatively will an iphone 4 connection with a lightneing adaptor on the end of it work? the answer may be somewhere on this site but i cant seem to find it, if anyone has successfully connected the iphone 5 by the mdi it would be a great help to hear from you
trevor
In: Viper Green
Options: Apple car play ,carnet , full leather, 280 bhp

Post by trevor »

hi, Yes your Iphone 5 will connect via the socket in the armrest ,at present i run a ipod fron the armrest socket and it charges the ipod as well as plays your music to your radio and is controled by the touch screen on the display, you will need the iphone 5 lightning plug adaptor that you can get on fleabay if you have the iphone 5

hope this helps
Scirocco. R. 280 Bhp mk3 DSG, viper green auto folding mirrors,Bluetooth,and all the rest a R has
slimfastdodger
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
Options: 19 Luganos, leather, parking sensors

Post by slimfastdodger »

ye cheers buddy i did a bit more digging on another forum and found a couple more people who said they use a lightning adapter and it works fine :)