How low can you go??

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
Le_savage
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Deep Black
With a: DSG box
Options: Anthracite Leather, Panoramic Roof, Winter Pack, premium sills
On the shopping list: MTM remap, Milltek Turbo back Zorst, Eibach 25mm Lowering springs, MTM 19" Bimoto Alloys, MTM 15mm Spacers, 24 bottles of ice cold Stella :o)

How low can you go??

Post by Le_savage »

In the interest of environmentally unsound motoring what is the lowest mileage or lowest average MPG recorded on your new Rocco?

Not just interested in what the 2.0TSi crew have to say but also interesting to see how low the oil burners can get when driven properly.... and yes I do mean properly you penny pinching oil burning tree huggers, you know exactly what i'm talking about. None of this let's not accelerate up the hill in case my Avg MPG drops below 90 and ruins my overall range per tank ratio!!
jc74
In: Pewter Grey
Options: Cruise Control, Leather, Sunroof, DVD Satnav, Parking Sensors

Re: How low can you go??

Post by jc74 »

Le_savage wrote:In the interest of environmentally unsound motoring what is the lowest mileage or lowest average MPG recorded on your new Rocco?

Not just interested in what the 2.0TSi crew have to say but also interesting to see how low the oil burners can get when driven properly.... and yes I do mean properly you penny pinching oil burning tree huggers, you know exactly what i'm talking about. None of this let's not accelerate up the hill in case my Avg MPG drops below 90 and ruins my overall range per tank ratio!!
I got 12mpg getting the car from the dealership back home. But was stuck in traffic for 40 minutes for the 4 mile journey... Car only had 19 miles on the clock though.
I'm assuming that doesn't count as 'driven properly'? :shrug:
Le_savage
On the shopping list: MTM remap, Milltek Turbo back Zorst, Eibach 25mm Lowering springs, MTM 19" Bimoto Alloys, MTM 15mm Spacers, 24 bottles of ice cold Stella :o)

Post by Le_savage »

I got 12mpg getting the car from the dealership back home. But was stuck in traffic for 40 minutes for the 4 mile journey... Car only had 19 miles on the clock though.
I'm assuming that doesn't count as 'driven properly'?
No, but it's a good start and on paper will be a good benchmark :)

I'm sure it can be easily beaten....
rhcp128
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Sumatra
With a: Manual box

Post by rhcp128 »

The wrost MPG I ever got was in the city with a LOT of traffic and that was 16 mpg overall on my daily routine it does about 30 mpg when I drive normally and about 23 mpg if I want to enjoy it a bit... honestly a weeee bit disappointed, I was hoping for better. Then again they say it'll improve after the first oil change....

Oh yeah in second gear at 6000 rpm it shows 5 mpg :clap: DIE HIPPIE DIE :lol:
Le_savage

Post by Le_savage »

Oh yeah in second gear at 6000 rpm it shows 5 mpg DIE HIPPIE DIE
Now that's more like it... anything in single figures is admirable and deserves a 'proppa rocca' award for services to science :D
heavymetalmayhem
In: Rising Blue
Options: Leather, DSG, premium mats.

Post by heavymetalmayhem »

rhcp128 wrote:The wrost MPG I ever got was in the city with a LOT of traffic and that was 16 mpg overall on my daily routine it does about 30 mpg when I drive normally and about 23 mpg if I want to enjoy it a bit... honestly a weeee bit disappointed, I was hoping for better. Then again they say it'll improve after the first oil change....

Oh yeah in second gear at 6000 rpm it shows 5 mpg :clap: DIE HIPPIE DIE :lol:

I expected more from the 1.4. I get better figures than that from the 2.0 (obviously I'm not trying hard enough). Typically over a tank of fuel of I get 31 - 33. That's approximately 50/50 mix of comuting on the motorway 40-80mph and driving enthusiastically. At best I have achieved 36mpg (over approximately 170 miles) and at worst 28mpg (over approximately 50 miles). Obviouly it somtimes goes lower than 28mpg over short distances but I don't see the point including those figures as they always avarage out for me.
rhcp128
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Sumatra

Post by rhcp128 »

heavymetalmayhem wrote:I expected more from the 1.4. I get better figures than that from the 2.0 (obviously I'm not trying hard enough). Typically over a tank of fuel of I get 31 - 33. That's approximately 50/50 mix of comuting on the motorway 40-80mph and driving enthusiastically. At best I have achieved 36mpg (over approximately 170 miles) and at worst 28mpg (over approximately 50 miles). Obviouly it somtimes goes lower than 28mpg over short distances but I don't see the point including those figures as they always avarage out for me.
I know :( I asked my dealer about it and he said "don't worry it's a sports car, it consumes fuel, it's normal, after the first oil change it'll get much better"... I'm not especially convinced but you know it's hard to demonstrate your car is consuming more than it should, they always tell you that it depends on how you drive it and invent different excuses... I hate dealers :grumpy:
robrob
Options: SAT-NAV, PAN SUNROOF, LEATHER, PARKING SENSORS, CRUISE CONTROL, WINTER PACK, FOLDING MIRRORS.

Post by robrob »

I was actually going to post a similar thread.

I’m getting no more than 21mpg mainly town driving but a bit of motorway here and there.
It seems really bad to me, and I was expecting it to do much better.
Obviously not anywhere close to the Diesels I was driving for a couple of years prior to the Roc but I’m pretty sure I used to get more then that out of my 6 cylinder 528i... :(

Could something be wrong with the car? (Or is it just the way I drive it...)
heavymetalmayhem
Options: Leather, DSG, premium mats.

Post by heavymetalmayhem »

I beat my own record today only achieving 25mpg over 50miles - must be the good weather!

Robrob I think it's the same with pretty much any new car. The system for calculating official fuel consumption figures is a farce.

Although to be fair I am very please with the Scirocco's fuel consumption in general compared with similar powered cars.
Last edited by heavymetalmayhem on Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ryancooke
In: Candy White
Options: xenons, folding mirrors, dynamic audio, floor mats (free) autoglym (free)

now modified with dump valve, boost gauge in custom made vent, "gt" steering wheel badge, carbon fibre badges, rs4 wheels, lowered 35mm, private plate S18OCO, custom de-cat and cat back exhaust with quad tips, air filter behind fog lamp heat wrapped, customised front bumper grills painted gloss black, customised rear bumper smoothed and lower spoiler painted gloss black, mouldings and mirrors sprayed in gloss black, gloss black roof and rear spoiler, colour coded dash trims, door trims, centre console trims and rear seat trims, led fog light bulbs, s3 intercooler, audi a4 "S line" gear knob, newspeed hi-flow throttle body pipe, newspeed hi-flow turbo pipe, uprated dog mount bush, front to back and side to side quickshift, 20mm front spacers

Post by ryancooke »

leathering it is low 20's or high 10's, average for me is around 25 for around town, about 32 average on the motor way, and 42mpg if i try my hardest....

MY CARS IS SOLD 21.5K BETTER OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LCM
Options: Anthracite Leather - Dynaudio - Parking Sensors - Electric Mirrors - No Badge - Winter Pack - Mats - Tyre Indicators - GT Steering Wheel Badge - Metal Pedals - Premium Cills - Private Plate T20 ROC. Superchips Bluefin Remap 250bhp/400Nm

Post by LCM »

When I first got mine I was averaging around 24 - 27mpg now after 5k miles I am getting 28-32 and most of the daily drive is in very heavy shite London traffic.

I managed to get it down to 11mpg though on a "sunday drive" up and down Glenshee just North of Perth :clap:
My Roc was fast - but now its FASTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roc On!!
wigit
Options: I used to own one

Post by wigit »

took it for a nice spin one night a few weeks ago on some nice empty roads and got it down to 16mpg over 20 plus miles, did smile when it dipped to 6mpg :D

on way back stopped to fill it up and the projected range was 200 miles :rolleyes:

generally its doing about 35mpg plus
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
chr15

Post by chr15 »

On a 3 mile set of twisties I got the average down from 27mpg to 12 mpg. It took about 120 miles aswell to get the 27 :D Mines remapped though and I drive it pretty quick at times :D

I get mid 30's if I drive normally though.
Mr S
In: Salsa Red

Post by Mr S »

My 25 mile journey to and from work includes.... city, dual carriageway, A roads, a single track road and a village (with hills and fantastic scenery too) so I'm pleased to be getting around 37mpg, which is actually better than my last too cars which both had smaller engines.
Le_savage

Post by Le_savage »

Come on the oil burners... don't be shy now, we won't laugh ;)
wigit

Post by wigit »

Le_savage wrote:Come on the oil burners... don't be shy now, we won't laugh ;)
i've got a polo bluemotion today as golf is in the dealers, and for what it is its a great car it appears to use no fuel whatsover, met up with other half who's nabbed the scirocco and was following me and said she was surprised how nippy it was put gatthered i was running out of steam when i started bouncing in the drivers seat, i did move out of the way so she could play with a Leon Cupra, funny seeing your car cained by someone else :D
Le_savage

Post by Le_savage »

andy wrote:
Le_savage wrote:Come on the oil burners... don't be shy now, we won't laugh ;)
i've got a polo bluemotion today as golf is in the dealers, and for what it is its a great car it appears to use no fuel whatsover, met up with other half who's nabbed the scirocco and was following me and said she was surprised how nippy it was put gatthered i was running out of steam when i started bouncing in the drivers seat, i did move out of the way so she could play with a Leon Cupra, funny seeing your car cained by someone else :D
Ok, to get the ball rolling I've got an oil burning boiler and it does best part of 28 weeks on a tank in the summer.... but if I crank it up I can get that down to 10 weeks ;)
wigit

Post by wigit »

thats now way to talk about mrs Le_savage
Kev
Administrator
Options: Leather, cruise, parking sensors, folding mirrors, flat tyre indicator
Sadly replaced in Nov '16 by a TTS!

Post by Kev »

I get about 22mpg in my daily stop-start commute.
On the longer runs I'm getting 33ish.
skippy
In: Candy White
Options: Sat Nav, Leather, electric fold in mirrors, Dynaudio upgrade.

Now sold, but what a fantastic car!

Post by skippy »

Today for the first time since I took ownership, I got the "Please Refuel" message appear on the MFD, the message appeared far earlier than I expected as the display was indicating 70 miles to empty. On refilling the car took over 46 litres which means there was less than a gallon to go! :eek:

Now - I am slightly confused, I have read that the tank capacity is 50 litres, but also other sources state 55 litres. I would suggest the latter is true as less than a gallon was never going to get me 70 miles. Admittedly I appreciate you should never fully believe that the MFD to be 100% accurate!

Any thoughts?

Thanks.