DSG and Hill start - Help!

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
lsuhe
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Deep Black
With a: DSG box
Options: Dynaudio Soundpack

DSG and Hill start - Help!

Post by lsuhe »

Hi Have been reading this for a few months and love it. SWMBO and I have ordered a 2.0 GT with DSG and Dynaudio! :nod:

We managed to get the dealer to take out their demonstrator back in sept but only for (upto an hour).
When we took it out the sales person was leaving a lot to be desired from the expereince, and just said. you know its an automatic don't you?
I did as had seen it end of august when sat in show rooom waiting to be registered 1st Sep.
I imediatly fell for the DSG and am very impressed by it and hence ordered it.
However I am a bit mistified and how to do hill starts in it and what you have to do with the gear leaver to get the auto hold function to work etc and what the best techniques are.
I have to learn asap when we get it to teach SWMBO how to do it as we only had roughly 1/2 hour each in it and that was a bit of town driving and dual carriage way and a few country roads.
Please can those that with DSG please help and give an idiots guide to how to do hill starts use the auto hold function with a DSG?!
Many thanks in advance
Chris
CTRnutter
In: Reflex Silver
Options: Winter Pack, Leather, Alu Pedals, GT Steering Wheel Badge, Side Sills, Superchips Re-Map, Milltek Non-Res, K&N Induction Kit

Re: DSG and Hill start - Help!

Post by CTRnutter »

it does it for you :)

just put it into drive with your foot on the brake and take your foot off, thats it nothing else t worry about 8)
Car is now Sold!!!!! BMW 7 Series for now as nice and big but holding out for something a little special as my toy :)
jonallen628
I drive a: Scirocco R
Options: Black Vienna Leather, 19" Talladegas, RNS-510, 6CD, Dynaudio, Rear Parking Sensors, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Electric Drivers Seat.

Post by jonallen628 »

It's easy, nothing to worry about it. It's not easy to explain how it functions but it is fully automatic whether you are in "D" or "S" or even Manual mode. It is not something you have to think about.

When stationary on a hill i apply the foot brake, leaving the DSG box in whatever mode i was using, no need to move it to "N" or "P". When ready to pull away i take my foot of the brake and you can feel the auto hill hold kick in stopping the car from rolling back. You simply swap your foot onto the accelerator and feed in the power to pull away.
08/11 - 12/13 2.0 TSI R DSG, Black / Black Vienna
01/09 - 08/11 2.0 TSI GT DSG, Black / Truffle Vienna

Black is the new Black....
greenstick
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Black Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB Radio, Folding Mirrors, Carpet Mats, Flat Tyre Sensor, Smokers Pack

Post by greenstick »

Does this work on any gradient of hill? I have a steep driveway, so it would be usefull if it did.
jonallen628
I drive a: Scirocco R
Options: Black Vienna Leather, 19" Talladegas, RNS-510, 6CD, Dynaudio, Rear Parking Sensors, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Electric Drivers Seat.

Post by jonallen628 »

greenstick wrote:Does this work on any gradient of hill? I have a steep driveway, so it would be usefull if it did.
I don't believe there are any limitations with respect to gradient.
08/11 - 12/13 2.0 TSI R DSG, Black / Black Vienna
01/09 - 08/11 2.0 TSI GT DSG, Black / Truffle Vienna

Black is the new Black....
BAIKAR
In: Candy White

Post by BAIKAR »

Do any of the DSG drivers know how it works? does it know your in drive and sense any movement backwards to hill hold?

also whats it doing to hold you? applying brakes or using the clutch?
prometheus
Options: Sat Nav with 6 disc changer, mats, cruise, winter pack, tyre sensors, folding mirrors

Post by prometheus »

According to the book of words, it senses any time that the car is stopped, with your foot on the brake, and the car is at an angle of 5 degrees or more off horizontal...it then keeps the brakes applied for approx. 2 seconds after you lift your foot off the brake pedal, and then eases the brake off so that you can pull away as normal. It does take a little bit of getting used to tbh but once you're used to it, it's great.
lsuhe

Post by lsuhe »

Thanks for all your help. Since I am new to DSG / automatic I am a little worried about leaving foot on break pedal and wearing clutch a little if stopped for a long period of time on a hill. Also one of my pet hates is at night if stopped in a queue of traffic (on a hill or on the flat) is the person in front sitting with their foot on the beak pedal... especially on the flat as can be rather bright, and in a normal manual I just stick in N and apply handbrake.
For the DSG on a Hill for any length of time is it better to come to a stop. then with foot on break to apply the handbrake as well, and then put into N... and release break pedal... so not to have annoying brake lights dazzling the poor driver behind.
Then when want to set off re apply foot break, and then release handbrake, and then put into D, then release foot break (with then hill hold applying break for you) and then press on accelerator?
Sorry for the confusion but I'm 29 been driving since 17 and hill starts like most here I don't think about and like to be as smooth as possible and not lurch forward or jolt to a stop and pull away smoothly without rolling back..

Need to prove to in laws as well that DSG is excellent and don't want to drive poorly and make it look difficult / bad!

Many thanks again to you all for you help and I just can't wait to get it... Build week 17 and waiting.... Ordered mid feb.... grrrrr

Chris
LCM
Options: Anthracite Leather - Dynaudio - Parking Sensors - Electric Mirrors - No Badge - Winter Pack - Mats - Tyre Indicators - GT Steering Wheel Badge - Metal Pedals - Premium Cills - Private Plate T20 ROC. Superchips Bluefin Remap 250bhp/400Nm

Post by LCM »

Chris

As stated previously it does it for you so you have nothing to worry about.

I have a couple of steep hill starts around me and if you are stationery and dip the brake pedal a couple of times the footbrake firms up and feels like it is locking. Basically this is the hill assist kicking in and the car won't roll back until you press the gas.

Played about with this feature when I was in Scotland at New Year and tried some very steep hill starts, some of which you would have struggled with in a manual, and there was never a hint of roll back or stalling.

In terms of taking your foot off the brake it's footbrake/handbrake/neutral/off footbrake.

Hope this helps.
My Roc was fast - but now its FASTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roc On!!
true
Options: .
Heated Anthracite Leather
RNS-510 with 6 CD changer
17" Spa alloy wheels
Premium mats
Covered cupholder
Debadged rear
Cruise control

Post by true »

So who wants to tell me what SWMBO means?
rehmondo
In: Candy White
Options: Leather • Winter • Sunroof • Cruise • DAB • Park • Tyre • Mirrors • Mats • Mudflaps • Prem Sills • Pedals • Jewelultra Diamondbrite • Bluefin Remap • Carbonio CAI • LED Pack

Post by rehmondo »

true wrote:So who wants to tell me what SWMBO means?
She Who Must Be Obeyed - had to google it :D
lsuhe

Post by lsuhe »

LCM wrote:Chris

As stated previously it does it for you so you have nothing to worry about.

I have a couple of steep hill starts around me and if you are stationery and dip the brake pedal a couple of times the footbrake firms up and feels like it is locking. Basically this is the hill assist kicking in and the car won't roll back until you press the gas.

Played about with this feature when I was in Scotland at New Year and tried some very steep hill starts, some of which you would have struggled with in a manual, and there was never a hint of roll back or stalling.

In terms of taking your foot off the brake it's footbrake/handbrake/neutral/off footbrake.

Hope this helps.
That's good. I wanted to know the sequence to put into manual with handbrake on so not to dazzle driver behind. .. I can hardly get annoyed with them if I was doing same!
I will find quiet hill and have a play when get it as want to pick up on saturday so have time to learn it before SWMBO has to drive it for work.... yes its her work car! I get to drive it evenings and weekends.. I hope! still its due to being a work car that we manage to have it at all as get very reasnable lease rates through work.
Many thanks for your help
Chris
bungle
In: Rising Blue
Options: Vienna Leather. Folding Mirrors. Parking Sensors. Carpet Mats.

Post by bungle »

ALl you need to remember is not to leave it in D with the handbrake on and foot off the brake if you're stopped in traffic. Putting your foot on the brake disengages the clutch, so you won't wear it. Lifting your foot off the brake starts the clutch engaging. If you leave it in D, foot off brake with the handbrake on it will strain against the handbrake, which could cause damage. This is another area where the transmission differs from a normal torrque converter auto.

Having said that, the other day, I was sat at lights, foot on brake, and I could hear the dash rattle which has been talked about, so whilst still holding the brake in, I twisted my foot around to blip the throttle (as if heel and toe-ing), and the car lurched forward against the brake, even though technically, the clutch should have been disengaged...... :shrug: