Chip Removal

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
sara_brea
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box

Chip Removal

Post by sara_brea »

got a few chips on the front bumper quite deep ( u can see the black surface below ) although there both about 1mm across.. what the best way to them sorted?
sir_rocco
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Reflex Silver
With a: DSG box

Re: Chip Removal

Post by sir_rocco »

You get them sorted by the likes of the chips away man in a van and 6 months later you will be back to square one. As long as bare metal is not showing then I would be inclined to live with em. Ryancooke is our resident bodyshop expert, he may be along shortly to offer his professional opinion. :yes:
Taken delivery : Silver, DSG, NAV, Black Leather, Park Sensors, Winter pack.

Mods: Full Milltek, KW lowering springs,Wheel Spacers, Remapped to 258BHP, 405Nm
wigit
Options: I used to own one

Post by wigit »

sara if you post wehere abouts you are a few people may have some recommendations, people like chips away can be hit or miss given they are essentially franchises
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
Andy-GTI
Options: R

Post by Andy-GTI »

Whites pretty easy, just get some touch up paint, fill the chip so it proud of the surface, leave to dry for a week or so, flatit with 2000-3000 wet n dray to flush it, and then machine polish back to a shine. You'd never know it was there.
sara_brea

Post by sara_brea »

its about 1mm deep im not too worries about it other than possibly getting worse (if its too deep) im not sure if i can see the metal you can see black though...ps im in the nw region of the uk
adamj
In: Pewter Grey
Options: Metallic paint,mats, prem sills, Merlin Cloth, Hatchbag and a nice stone chip on the bonnet.

Post by adamj »

I have a few chips on mine now - including a new one in the middle of the drivers door :( :(

Don't think I have the guts to use wet n dry on it!
adamj
Options: Metallic paint,mats, prem sills, Merlin Cloth, Hatchbag and a nice stone chip on the bonnet.

Post by adamj »

Ahhhhhhhh just got a huge chip on the bonnet by the crease on the drivers side plus a dent :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Luckly the dent is right above one of the "holes" on the underside.

Not sure what to do now, as I have never been impressed with the work of Chips away......

I am soo gutted.
rehmondo
Options: Leather • Winter • Sunroof • Cruise • DAB • Park • Tyre • Mirrors • Mats • Mudflaps • Prem Sills • Pedals • Jewelultra Diamondbrite • Bluefin Remap • Carbonio CAI • LED Pack

Post by rehmondo »

adamj wrote:Not sure what to do now, as I have never been impressed with the work of Chips away......I am soo gutted.
Someone scraped my car a few months ago, Chips away quoted £150, one VW dealer quoted over £400, in the end I went to a VW dealer who did it for £250.

So I'd suggest getting various quotes from VW bodyshops.
adamj

Post by adamj »

I just phoned Chipsaway.

The guys responce was go and buy a touch up stick from the dealers :? :?

Have a PDR chap comming tomorrow to deal with the dent. I will then touch it in and see if I am happy with the result. If not I know a good local bodyshop.
Le_savage
In: Deep Black
Options: Anthracite Leather, Panoramic Roof, Winter Pack, premium sills
On the shopping list: MTM remap, Milltek Turbo back Zorst, Eibach 25mm Lowering springs, MTM 19" Bimoto Alloys, MTM 15mm Spacers, 24 bottles of ice cold Stella :o)

Post by Le_savage »

Andy-GTI » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:37 am

Whites pretty easy, just get some touch up paint, fill the chip so it proud of the surface, leave to dry for a week or so, flatit with 2000-3000 wet n dray to flush it, and then machine polish back to a shine. You'd never know it was there.
Andy-GTI is onto it, I have seen many a scratch that on first look needed a body shop totally disappear after a quick touch up, mop over and machine polish, sounds scary but in reality is actaully very straightforward, if you're worried to do it yourself then a body shop should be able to do it for you for not much more than a drink.
CTRnutter
In: Reflex Silver
Options: Winter Pack, Leather, Alu Pedals, GT Steering Wheel Badge, Side Sills, Superchips Re-Map, Milltek Non-Res, K&N Induction Kit

Post by CTRnutter »

No way, they're battle scars :D your best off having the front bumper sprayed after 3 odd years, personally after a few laps of a track mine will look lik its been assaulted at a firing range anyway but silver is a good colour to hide them :)
Car is now Sold!!!!! BMW 7 Series for now as nice and big but holding out for something a little special as my toy :)