Laser wheel alignment

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
MikeyTSI
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Indium Grey
With a: Manual box
Options: Luxury mats, no need to add anymore.

Laser wheel alignment

Post by MikeyTSI »

Being new to forums please forgive any ignorance.
After reading several topics on tyre wear problems with the rear tyres on the scirocco I came up with a question about the laser wheel alignment system which from previous experience with other cars is pretty good.
If by factory default the rear wheel camber on the scirocco is wrong which causes inner tyre wear then surely laser alignment will not cure this as the factory settings have to be input into the laser unit as a guideline, or are these systems intelligent enough to set the camber to a correct position.
My tyres are very worn on the inside and the road noise is quite loud so I would like to cure this when I eventually change the tyres.

On a plus note I love this car it is a drivers dream.

Great forum, keep up the good work. :clap:
RW1
Legend
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Re: Laser wheel alignment

Post by RW1 »

MikeyTSI wrote:If by factory default the rear wheel camber on the scirocco is wrong which causes inner tyre wear.
:welcome:
Hi Mikey,

I don't think the factory defaults are wrong as not all have the problem. Its more a quality control problem in build. My rear tyres are evenly worn across the width.

So setting to stock settings with standard suspension should not cause problems.

All except R (No Adaptive Chassis Control or ACC is fitted):
Rear Toe: +10' +10' - Max. deviation from direction of travel 20'
Rear camber: -1° 20' + 30' - Max. difference between sides 30'

R:
Rear Toe: +10' +10' - Max. deviation from direction of travel 20'
Rear camber: -1° 45' + 30' - Max. difference between sides 30'

Chris
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
Pheo
In: Viper Green

Post by Pheo »

I would bet on the alignment being out - my SEAT was massively out of alignment.
MikeyTSI

Post by MikeyTSI »

Thanks

Would you have any recommendations for tyres?
Preferably quiet ones.

I agree that it would be an alignment problem I will get it checked when I change the tyres which should be quite soon.

Cheers all
Deacon
Options: Tuned 1.4tsi - gone but not forgotten!

Post by Deacon »

Have a look here:-

http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... =12&t=6998" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It has the alignment settings that center gravity set my car to which I've found to be very good.
playing in my '86
MikeyTSI

Post by MikeyTSI »

Thanks Deacon

Rally like what you have done to your car, excellent reading.

Did you find after all the geometry settings were done your road/tyre noise was reduced?

Also where did you get your metal pedals as VW have discontinued them?

Cheers

Mike
Deacon
Options: Tuned 1.4tsi - gone but not forgotten!

Post by Deacon »

The metal pedals were from Audi (they are the TT ones).

I can't really comment on tyre noise, I never noticed it as a problem before or after the geometry set up. It made a notable difference to the handling though!

Any other questions please ask and I'll do my best to answer.
playing in my '86
MikeyTSI

Post by MikeyTSI »

Thanks Deacon, I will save my penny's and look into it.
MikeyTSI

Post by MikeyTSI »

Alignment sorted and tyres changed to Goodyear Eagle F1 asymmetric 2.
Road noise greatly reduced which makes it an even sweeter drive.
beanieboy182
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Pewter Grey
Options: Cruise Control / Climate Control / LED Sidelights/ LED Interior/ LED Puddle Lights/ DAB Sat Nav/ Gloss Black Dash Trim/

Post by beanieboy182 »

i recently had way too much trouble with wheel alignment on my 09 scirocco
went to a place in bristol (protyre) which did adjust it on a john bean machine even tho i asked specifically for the hunter machine to be used (its right next to it)
on the report they dont even check a lot of things on this john bean machine so u dont even get the initial print out of all the measurements apparently because "there is no point in reading the measurement if there is no official way to adjust it" this is kinda crap because u dont know how far out these measurements are...
cut a long story short
The day after getting it done at pro tyre i was going through the measurements and realised they didnt do some of the measurements like caster which is adjustable if u move the sub frame ? (unofficial way of doing it apparently)
I took my car to imperialtyres at swinon...who actually did everything i could of ever hoped for...put it on one of two hunter machines they have there :D + showed me all of the (not so perfect at all adjustments they had and had not done...)
All adjusted even caster and got a really visual explanation of the before and after measurements.

Basically ALWAYS go to a smaller garage with a newer hunter machine which does full wheel alignment measurements + know how to do the "unofficial mods"
I Fix things that aren't broken