Reduction in fuel economy

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
clflangan
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: None

Reduction in fuel economy

Post by clflangan »

Can anyone advise me on why the fuel economy has dropped on my 2.0 TDI?
I had a new flywheel/clutch put in about 2 months ago. Car seems to be
running fine, no strange noises or shuddering, but I'm only getting 800km per
tank now whereas I used to get 1050km.

Thanks
C.
RW1
Legend
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Re: Reduction in fuel economy

Post by RW1 »

Changing the clutch shouldn't cause a change in fuel economy. A couple of thoughts come to mind.......

1) Fuel leak due to a damaged fuel pipe but you would have spotted that when parked up and had a diesel smell.

2) There are a few electrical connections in the engine bay for sensors. They may have left one disconnected so the ECU is now over-fuelling say due to a lack of temperature input. It won't flash a dash warning but diagnostics would show the sensor as a open circuit fault code. May just be worth a check round the engine bay top side and underneath to make sure all electrical connections are plug and socket connected. Pay attention to the gearbox side where they have been to remove the gearbox.

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
clflangan
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: None

Re: Reduction in fuel economy

Post by clflangan »

Thanks for this, will check it out.

C.