Iron-x and Chrome tailpipe question

Info about the best cleaning products and detailing.
Daz85UK
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Parking Sensors & Electric Folding Mirrors

Iron-x and Chrome tailpipe question

Post by Daz85UK »

There was a post awhile ago which I can't find about a product that cleans a tailpipe back to chrome again any ideas what it is and where I can get it?

Also where abouts online is the best place to get Iron-X as i''ve started to get the orange spots on my candy car

Thanks

Daz
trix
Options: Gone but never forgotten; Sumatra, Cruise, Parking Sensors, Flat Tyre Indicator, boot liner, hatchbag, premium sills, SciroccoCentral stickers & hedgehog!
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09
Off to his new home July 2016 after nearly 7 years & 88800 miles.

Missing RW1

Re: Iron-x and Chrome tailpipe question

Post by trix »

Daz
for your exhaust you want autosol or similar metal polish http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/engine-an ... t_103.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
& iron x, try clean my car http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/engine-an ... d_726.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

S
RW1
Legend
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

Take a look at the last photo with the tailpipes. That was with a quick wipe, without seriously attacking the left tailpipe to clean it. Was quite impressed with the Meguiar's All Metal Polysh. http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... 18&t=11106" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.shinearama.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
Rob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Salsa Red
With a: Manual box
Options: Scirocco's gone!

Post by Rob »

Give some wd40 a try on your tail pipes. As long as they arnt too bad it'll work, also when you do get them all nice and shiny give them a wipe over with the above, soot dosnt tend to stick as easily to them after its been applied :yes:
Daz85UK
Options: Parking Sensors & Electric Folding Mirrors

Post by Daz85UK »

Tailpipies arn't THAT bad but they still dont look clean. I hate looking at a frsshly washed car with tailpipes that dont look like they have been cleaned!

Should I use wire wool on them? or would that scratch them?

I'll try the above thanks for the replies!
Cuprabob
In: Rising Blue
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

You will be fine with some Autosol and a little elbow grease
Rob
Options: Scirocco's gone!

Post by Rob »

Wire wool will scratch them to bits!!
Mence7
Options: Leather, SatNav, Parking Sensors, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Lugano's

Post by Mence7 »

For chrome thats a bit scummy (like tail pipes), I use wire wool but make sure it's the softest grade you can lay your hands on. Add a blob of Autosol and work in gently and you'll be fine...
phil4
In: Deep Black
Options: Lots: Leather, Electric driver's seat, 19" rims, sunroof, RNS510, Dynaudio, colour MFD, electric folding wing mirrors, cruise control, parking sensors.

Post by phil4 »

After 5 months of not being cleaned, I attacked mine with some autoglym metal polish and a rag. Took a while, and lots of finger tip pressure, but looked great afterwards.

Only downside was some 14 miles later, and they're already starting to get deposits on again. Ah well!
dimexi
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
Options: Parking Sensors

VAGCOM Mods:
DRL/PRL off
Needle sweep
XDS on
Big mph speedo
Alarm beep
Comfort indicator blinks adjusted to 4
Windows close via rain sensor

Other Mods:
Metal Pedals
Self installed VW OEM Bluetooth 7P6(L)
Self installed Cruise Control
RNS510
Stage 1 Bluefin

Post by dimexi »

RW1 wrote:Take a look at the last photo with the tailpipes. That was with a quick wipe, without seriously attacking the left tailpipe to clean it. Was quite impressed with the Meguiar's All Metal Polysh. http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... 18&t=11106" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.shinearama.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

C.
Hi RW1

Just checking out that website now. Did you just use a cloth with the metal polish? Or some woolwire (wirewool).
My tailpipe is filthy, and I am wondering what the best product is to use
eightyeightmph
In: Pure White
Options: Mk 7 GOLF GTD
Pano roof

Post by eightyeightmph »

Meguiars All Metal Polysh is fantastic, always use it on mine & don't get any build up after, just wipe on wipe off after washing the car! :yes:

2016 GOLF GTD
1966 Beetle (resto...one day)
dimexi
Options: Parking Sensors

VAGCOM Mods:
DRL/PRL off
Needle sweep
XDS on
Big mph speedo
Alarm beep
Comfort indicator blinks adjusted to 4
Windows close via rain sensor

Other Mods:
Metal Pedals
Self installed VW OEM Bluetooth 7P6(L)
Self installed Cruise Control
RNS510
Stage 1 Bluefin

Post by dimexi »

eightyeightmph wrote:Meguiars All Metal Polysh is fantastic, always use it on mine & don't get any build up after, just wipe on wipe off after washing the car! :yes:
Brilliant stuff!! That's for the reply. Dont think my tailpipe has ever been cleaned before! I will place my order now :D.
whiteDevil_170
Options: 19 inch lugano alloys , Metal pedals, satnav , DAB , leather , parking sensors , Red footwell LEDs , white led interior , hkb door sills , Needle sweep ,Horn beep on open/close , big speedo, drl deactivated, cornering fogs, An ocd for keeping it clean! Gloss black mirrors.
revo stage 1 remap

Post by whiteDevil_170 »

I personally use auto finesse mercury. It's a metal polish and it works a treat.
Jack

;) Lets Roc ;)
roninonetwo

Post by roninonetwo »

Tuppence worth.. My tailpipe had never been cleaned, A very careful scrub with a brillo pad/soapy wire wool to get the worst of the build up (It was ridiculous!) Then a once (ok, maybe twice!) over with some bog standard T-Cut metal polish from my local parts shop, and it came up good as new, no damage to the chrome finish. Happy with the result, little elbow grease really!
dchapman32

Post by dchapman32 »

roninonetwo wrote:Tuppence worth.. My tailpipe had never been cleaned, A very careful scrub with a brillo pad/soapy wire wool to get the worst of the build up (It was ridiculous!) Then a once (ok, maybe twice!) over with some bog standard T-Cut metal polish from my local parts shop, and it came up good as new, no damage to the chrome finish. Happy with the result, little elbow grease really!
Interesting by this approach... I've given my exhaust a good clean and there seems to be some really tough marks on there. will post pics of current state and give it a clean this weekend!
bitmadmax

Post by bitmadmax »

Recently the bottom edges of my tailpipes have become sort of "pitted". No amount of meguiars metal polysh and elbow grease seems to shift it. Is there anything that might work on it?
Golf 7R
Gone: Scirocco R
VCDS available
whiteDevil_170
Options: 19 inch lugano alloys , Metal pedals, satnav , DAB , leather , parking sensors , Red footwell LEDs , white led interior , hkb door sills , Needle sweep ,Horn beep on open/close , big speedo, drl deactivated, cornering fogs, An ocd for keeping it clean! Gloss black mirrors.
revo stage 1 remap

Post by whiteDevil_170 »

bitmadmax wrote:Recently the bottom edges of my tailpipes have become sort of "pitted". No amount of meguiars metal polysh and elbow grease seems to shift it. Is there anything that might work on it?
Tar remover? Autosmart tardis, auto finesse obliterate
Jack

;) Lets Roc ;)
Shorum
In: Shadow Blue
Options: Dynaudio

Post by Shorum »

Hadn't cleaned my pipes for over two years. I used a little bit of brasso and a bit of wire wool from the kitchen (I'm sure the missus won't notice!) and it's as good as new :)
ollygttsi
Options: Cruise Control, Parking Sensors, Bluetooth Phone Prep

Post by ollygttsi »

I used wire wool and autoglym metal polish. Didn't have high hopes as the previous owner never did it and they were black with dirt. I can now see my reflection in them, so shiny.