Creak/Squeak from rear

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
Shamalama
I drive a: Scirocco R

Creak/Squeak from rear

Post by Shamalama »

Hey guys. From Australia, where the Roc is new and most dealers don't know a thing about them :). You guys have had them for a lot longer and might have some more insight!

Basically, have this creaky/squeaky sound coming from somewhere (I think it's in the back) when going over bumps slowly, and when turning slowly. Very annoying to say the least. Especially considering I picked up the Roc R four days ago, and it has 200 kms on it!

Coming from a MK6 GTI, I know these things can be prone to the odd sound, but I think this one is different. I've read through the forum and tried everything I've found to no avail, which includes:

-Good wash of all door and boot jambs with Duragloss Concentrate Wash
-Krytox of all rubber seals
-Adjustment of boot hatch dampeners (as per the thread on this site)
-Drove with rear seats down (meaning it can't be the latch mechanism for the seats)
-Removed spare tyre foam enclosure (thought it might be the foam squeaking)
-Drove with boot hatch completely open over some speed bumps.

After all of these things, still doing it. I went to my dealer yesterday, who admitted they heard it (it's quite creaky), but said they didn't know what it was. I'm booked in for next week, praying they will find the issue.

In the meantime, anyone have any thoughts on what it could be? Anyone have anything similar? Thinking it has to be either something underneath (bush, strut, control arm), or some interior trim piece not sitting flush?

Appreciate any into!
Scirocco R - Candy White / DSG / Panoramic Roof / RNS510
Mods - HPA ECU & DSG Stage 2 / VWR Racing Intake / Akrapovic Slip-On Carbon Tips / Milltek DP / HPA Mounts....coming soon!
Mac135
In: Indium Grey
With a: DSG box
Options: Pana roof, sat nav and dynaudio

Re: Creak/Squeak from rear

Post by Mac135 »

Hey Con, after all of that surely it has to be in the rear suspension somewhere. What else is back there, something to do with the fuel tank or system.

Someone herevwill have some ideas

Mac
Scirocco R- Indium c/w DSG, pana roof, dynaudio and sat/nav. A happy owner since April 2012
Shamalama

Post by Shamalama »

Ha. Hey Mac! Figured this would be a good place to post. Lot more experience with them!
Mods - HPA ECU & DSG Stage 2 / VWR Racing Intake / Akrapovic Slip-On Carbon Tips / Milltek DP / HPA Mounts....coming soon!
Mac135
In: Indium Grey
Options: Pana roof, sat nav and dynaudio

Post by Mac135 »

Best place no doubt about that. Loads of experience some one will sort your creak out soon.
Scirocco R- Indium c/w DSG, pana roof, dynaudio and sat/nav. A happy owner since April 2012
Sootchucker
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Candy White
Options: Bluetooth, RNS-510 Nav, Parking Sensors, Dynaudio, Cruise Control, Folding Mirrors, Winter Pack, Puddle lights, covered cup holder, rear air vents (working), door warning lights)

Post by Sootchucker »

I have the same on my one year old Scirocco. Also had exactly the same with my previous MK5 Golf (identical suspension set-up). In both cases diagnosed as upper rear shock absorber mounts. They are booked in to be replaced under warranty on the Rocco, and also done under warranty on the Golf (and cured the noise BTW).

You would have thought VW would have this sorted by now !
Shamalama

Creak/Squeak from rear

Post by Shamalama »

Awesome info mate! Hope that's what it is.

Thanks for the insight. Appreciate it.
naranja0
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box

Post by naranja0 »

Very useful information from this thread and came in useful to arm myself with before my visit to the dealer's yesterday.

My Scirrocco R has been creaking from all corners for about the last 6 months when maneuvering at low speeds or traveling relatively slowly over undulating road surfaces and road bumps. There has also been a rattling from both of the doors. Finally got around to taking it to the dealers yesterday and they have replaced the front suspension mounts and removed and lubed the rear suspension, with the potential of replacing those as well in 6-8 weeks if the rear problem comes back. Still seems to be an issue with some Roc's (although not my last one) judging by comments on here, all be it generally an issue with the rears.

The rattles in the doors were attributed to a rubber bung which had come loose in the passenger side and the regulator (I assume for the windows) was repositioned in the driver's door, which is also an issue I've seen previously on these forums. The passenger window was also repositioned due to wind noise on the passenger side, something which the dealer spotted and not me.

I have to say my local dealer was excellent in their service, however, its slightly concerning that after only 4500 miles, the car has so many 'minor' niggles and requires two days labour to rectify them for a vehicle which costs £30,000+. The odd rattle now and again you can perhaps forgive, the suspension is hard after all, and maybe the odd creak when its cold but so many so soon is of concern. They may seem minor for some dealers, but don't let them fob you off, they don't have to drive it every day suffering from them, so be persistent!
Gt12
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Deep Black
Options: Parking sensors, Door Sills, Luxury Mats

Post by Gt12 »

Odd seeing as the short distance on it, had the same problem on my Clio after 15k miles, which turned out to be the shocks having worn down quickly.
skippy
Options: Sat Nav, Leather, electric fold in mirrors, Dynaudio upgrade.

Now sold, but what a fantastic car!

Post by skippy »

My 09 Roc (with only 16.5k on the clock) has developed a creaking noise in the same way as described in the previous posts. Travelling slowly over undulating surfaces and turning starts this annoying creaking sound from the rear near side corner of the car. Once up to speed all is fine.

I have ruled out pieces of trim, tailgate and so on. I see it has been suggested this could be a bit of a known issue with shock absorber bushes, I am well out of warranty now but could be worth a shot at goodwill gesture from VW if if can be proved.

Ironically I swear the problem started once it had been in for servicing last time! Any info on this from anyone much appreciated!
Mark V

Post by Mark V »

skippy wrote:Ironically I swear the problem started once it had been in for servicing last time! Any info on this from anyone much appreciated!
Strange how often that seems to be the case - I sometimes wonder if its to do with the car going up on the lift and the suspension hanging down rather than working in its normal way - does something move more than it normally does causing creaks and squeeks to develop???
skippy

Post by skippy »

Strange how often that seems to be the case - I sometimes wonder if its to do with the car going up on the lift and the suspension hanging down rather than working in its normal way - does something move more than it normally does causing creaks and squeeks to develop???
I think you may be right there Mark, did not think of that one, but for sure, I don't remember it squeaking and creaking before the service. It is annoying enough to make me want to get it fixed, although I bet even that would be £200 at least for new bushes.
TriGGER
Options: Parking Sensors, Leather Interior

Post by TriGGER »

I've been experiencing exactly the same problem, today I switchd from sport to comfort after coming off the motorway and I almost got home and I could hear it. I assumed it may have been the bearings last week so I took it into Volkswagen and they told me it wasn't that they were fine. I'm going to get Volkswagen in Loughborough to have a look at it tomorrow.

Bearing replacements are approximately 300 per wheel what Solihull told me

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
skippy

Post by skippy »

What I did find strange, driving at the weekend in this warmer weather, the creaking seemed a lot quieter and for a while I thought it had magically disappeared!

It was still there but to a much lesser extent. It is going into VW next week to have it checked anyway.
skippy

Post by skippy »

skippy wrote:What I did find strange, driving at the weekend in this warmer weather, the creaking seemed a lot quieter and for a while I thought it had magically disappeared!

It was still there but to a much lesser extent. It is going into VW next week to have it checked anyway.
Had my car in to the dealer today to investigate the creaking noise coming from the rear. Identified as a spot weld issue, this has been seen before (http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... eld#p50216" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

Hopefully this has been fixed by applying a wax stuff to the spot welds, it certainly did seem quieter when I drove it home. Chris (RW1) had this listed in the very excellent Evo buyers guide:

♦ Creaking at the rear passenger position while travelling over a raised edge. Caused by missing spot weld points within the rear wing bodywork.
Solution: Bodywork welding of affected area.
janherko
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Viper Green
Options: Alcantara, Bi-xenons, Full LED interior, Metal pedals, Sensors, RNS 510, 18" Interlagos piano black, Pearl black foldable mirrors, Winter pack, Pirelli PZero Nero 235/40, Pipercross air filter, New complete pistons, New K03 BorgWarner turbo, Full LED tail lights, Full LED front indicators

Post by janherko »

Excellent remarks folks, all of them...
I just wanted to add another tricky one from my MY09 Roc:
the creaking magically disappears once it's raining and the car gets wet...and I'm speaking it disappears absolutely. Once the car gets dry again the creaking from the left back side returns...any opinions will be appreciated
nestormirny
In: Rising Blue
Options: DCC, Panoramic roof, Bluetooth, Dynaudio, Leather seats

Post by nestormirny »

I had the same creaking noise, I fixed it by spraying silicone lubricant inside the stop buffers on the tailgate.
TriGGER
Options: Parking Sensors, Leather Interior

Post by TriGGER »

♦ Creaking at the rear passenger position while travelling over a raised edge. Caused by missing spot weld points within the rear wing bodywork.
Solution: Bodywork welding of affected area.[/quote]

How can I tell if it is the shock absorber or the rear welding? Is there any pictures of these faults?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
skippy

Post by skippy »

TriGGER wrote:♦ Creaking at the rear passenger position while travelling over a raised edge. Caused by missing spot weld points within the rear wing bodywork.
Solution: Bodywork welding of affected area.
How can I tell if it is the shock absorber or the rear welding? Is there any pictures of these faults?

Dont have any pictures I'm afraid, but my dealer told me that there is nothing visible to see in respect of the spot weld. In any case to get to it, they had to remove some of the interior. To quote what they have written on the invoice.

"Removed rear lining trim, C pillar trim , rear and side panel trim. Applied body wax to body spot welds in C Pillar area. Re-tested and noises no longer present"

For all the world I thought I was taking it in for a shock absorber, or suspension bushes issue. They immediately referred to a TPI amongst themselves but then ruled that out.

Certainly with mine, it was a creaking noise at low speed and uneven surfaces. I did notice that the dealer appears to have greased up the tailgate mountings maybe when they were trying to locate the source of the problem.