Rust around door latch

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
rococco
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Viper Green
With a: DSG box

Rust around door latch

Post by rococco »

I have noticed some rust on the driver's side door pillar around the latch fitting.

Of course I will want to have this addressed before it spreads. Has anyone encountered a similar problem, or have advice on how to get it sorted?

Naturally, my factory warranty expired 3 weeks ago. :grumpy:
rust_closeup.jpg
rust_door.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Deacon
Options: Tuned 1.4tsi - gone but not forgotten!

Re: Rust around door latch

Post by Deacon »

The corrosion warranty is longer than the factory 3 year warranty (although don't have exactly how long to hand)
playing in my '86
b0rk
In: Candy White
Options: Used to have an R...

Post by b0rk »

VW include a 12 year anti corrosion warranty for UK cars.
rococco

Post by rococco »

Volkswagen Ireland warranties state that "The paintwork on your Volkswagen is covered against manufacturing defects for a period of three years." "The internal body sections and panels of your Volkswagen are covered against rusting through from the inside for a period of 12 years."
http://www.volkswagen.ie/en/service/war ... ranty.html

I wonder which VW would claim this belongs to? Is it "rusting through from the inside" as defined by the rust warranty? Or the result of a botched factory paint job? It's not due to 'end-user' damage either, like an untreated scratch.
lewis
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Reflex Silver
With a: Manual box
Options: metalic paint & winter pack

Post by lewis »

Interesting:

I had similar problems with rust - but to the boot area, covering a larger area than your photograph.

See my post : RUST of the 18th January 2012.... together with photographs.

Took the car into VW for necessary repair - BUT the rust returned (same area) some months later.

I keep watching for it to return - yet again.

Regards

Jeff
rococco

Post by rococco »

Thanks Jeff. I had read your topic before posting mine. Do you know under which warranty did VW perform your repair, was it under paint or rust?

I hope my car's rust can be more permanently rectified than they have managed with yours so far. A rusty tailgate can be replaced in the worst case. A door pillar, not so much.
rococco

Post by rococco »

I reported the issue to VW and they will take a look at it on Tuesday to determine whether it's covered under warranty, etc.
lewis

Post by lewis »

As my car was only a little over two years - I did not ask if it was to be repaired under paint or bodywork.

Nor did I get any paper-work explaining what had been done.

Good luck with your car on Tuesday.

Jeff
rococco

Post by rococco »

VW have inspected the rust. They couldn't identify a cause. Having removed the latch fitting they found it was mostly surface rust and was not very extensive.

They are going to repair the car under the 12 year anti-rust warranty. The repair will involve removing the rust, and repainting and re-lacquering the affected area.
baderlfc

Post by baderlfc »

They will do a smart repair on that, almost certainly going to be done by a contractor they get in... Check it thoroughly before accepting the car back or you'll be down the dealers again before you know it
rococco

Post by rococco »

They still haven't decided whether they will fix it under warranty. VW HQ is now telling the dealer that because it's "surface rust" (he had a more technical term for it) encroaching from the outside, as opposed to rusting up from underneath the paint it may not strictly be covered by the rust warranty.

I am waiting to see what decision they will come to.
rococco

Post by rococco »

This rust problem eventually got resolved while the car was in for an unrelated repair.

VW HQ had refused to cover the repair under warranty (paint or rust). They claimed that because it was surface rust and not "rusting through from the inside" it was not covered under the terms of the warranty. Presumably because such rust could be caused by owner error, e.g. a stone chip on the bonnet. But how they figured rust could appear on the door pillar in any other way than by manufacturing defect I don't know? :mad:

Fortunately the dealership was more sympathetic and repaired it at their own cost. An honorable dealer! :yes: Who knew they existed?

As you'd expect of an authorized repair the new paint is perfectly matched and the repair is invisible.
lewis

Post by lewis »

Well done to the Dealer...

Just keep an eye on it

Regards

Jeff
a4gee
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White
Options: Winter pack,Parking sensors,Dynaudio,Tyre indicator,Pano roof,GT steering wheel badge,VW Mats, rubber/premium,Headlight and led upgrade interior/exterior,Metal pedals inc foot rest,HK sills,R lights,Cup holder for rear,Concealed ashtray,Auto coming home headlights.

Post by a4gee »

Good news indeed. However with my experience of rust is that its like a cancer killing your cars body. I think it may come back depending on how well they have repaired it ie what prevention products have they used or have they just sanded it down,filled,sanded,painted.