VW reduces production of the Scirocco

All the info you need to know about the new VW Scirocco.
MrACD
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box
Options: Premium Mats, due to have the retro Cruise, Re-map and alloys....

Re: VW reduces production of the Scirocco

Post by MrACD »

nfarinha wrote:good news everyone, Autoeuropa decides to cancel the lay-off process, it will continue to work at full power :)
thanks to many orders...
Does this mean my quotation of next Jan/Feb when ordered last friday may reduce?

Please let this be!! haha. :clap:
RW1
Legend
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
With a: DSG box
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

MrACD wrote:
nfarinha wrote:good news everyone, Autoeuropa decides to cancel the lay-off process, it will continue to work at full power :)
thanks to many orders...
Does this mean my quotation of next Jan/Feb when ordered last friday may reduce?

Please let this be!! haha. :clap:

More are VW at Milton Keynes willing to up their order quota from 6,600, set earlier this year.

Chris
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
sat1983

Post by sat1983 »

Is the factory now operating at full capacity?
RW1
Legend
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

It's certainly going some, at about 150 Sciroccos day in the last month.

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
sat1983

Post by sat1983 »

RW1 wrote:It's certainly going some, at about 150 Sciroccos day in the last month.

C.
Isn't this reduced capacity? The first post at the beginning of the thread mentions 300 units per day for the EOS and the Scirocco.
trix
Options: Gone but never forgotten; Sumatra, Cruise, Parking Sensors, Flat Tyre Indicator, boot liner, hatchbag, premium sills, SciroccoCentral stickers & hedgehog!
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09
Off to his new home July 2016 after nearly 7 years & 88800 miles.

Missing RW1

Post by trix »

:wave: Hey Sat

iirc they made a load of people redundant from the factory during the summer so they may not be running at the levels they were orignially but they are putting out as many as they can with the work force they have but also VW are restricting dealer allocations, especially for the UK because of the weak pound but also because they want there to be some exclusivity of the car (they have already sold far more than they anticipated) so there is no point them building tonnes of cars they can't send anywhere or fulfilling all the orders they have as soon as possible as they would then have nothing for the workforce to do (i believe the factory is set up for specific models & is not that easy to change set up for something else)

S
Andy-GTI
Options: R

Post by Andy-GTI »

What a load of crap, VW don't care about exclusivity, if they could sell one to every person in the UK and Europe they would, they are a businees and they operate to make profit!

Some of you really have such a clueless view on how things operate. They dont build cars just cos they feel like it. They build cars in the cheapest and most effcient manner and sell them for the most they can to maximise profit.....
retsila
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Rising Blue
Options: parking sensors, folding mirrors

Post by retsila »

Andy-GTI wrote:What a load of crap, VW don't care about exclusivity, if they could sell one to every person in the UK and Europe they would, they are a businees and they operate to make profit!

Some of you really have such a clueless view on how things operate. They dont build cars just cos they feel like it. They build cars in the cheapest and most effcient manner and sell them for the most they can to maximise profit.....
I'm not so sure this is entirely true. Although it would make sense if it was.

Within my companies car scheme, there definately seems to be some 'exclusivity' element applied, and when I asked our fleet management why an A3 had a much higher personal contribution than the equivalent golf, with the same engine/emissions etc, and the manufacturers otr price was only £800 different, thier response was that Audi don't give the lease companies deals as good as vw as they don't want the roads littered with them. Maybe within VAG they'd like most people to be driving Skoda's/Seat's, some people driving vw's and a few people driving Audi's (if you get what i mean)

Obviously form a very simple commercial view, it seems to make more sense to sell a car to everyone you can, but there definately seems to be some evidence against your comments Andy.

Just my 2 pennies worth, don't kill me :D
Options: R

Post by Andy-GTI »

Its more like they don't give the lease company as good a deal cos people will still buy them at the higher price, therefore why discount them. . .

But hey, you can believe the big wigs in the Volkswagen Group sleep better knowing that YOU enjoy the exclusivity of their cars over thier profits if you really want. . .
retsila
In: Rising Blue
Options: parking sensors, folding mirrors

Post by retsila »

Sorry :eek:

I'll ask trix or one of the other mods if we can set up an Andy-GTI forum on this site, where users can got to get 'The actual facts' instead of supposition & opinion, then hopefully with a lot of effort we can all be as worldly and commercially astute as you are.

I think i have a number of years hard graft ahead if I'm to aspire to such dizzy heights.
I drive a: Scirocco R
Options: 19" wheels Leather, DVD Nav Dynaudio, Phone prep, cruise control and folding mirrors

Post by Anakin »

Andy-GTI wrote:What a load of crap, VW don't care about exclusivity, if they could sell one to every person in the UK and Europe they would, they are a businees and they operate to make profit!

As exclusivity ties in nicely with residual values and residual values are important to folks. Also people are prepared to play more for exclusive items, (see Iphone Marketing) I think VW do care about it. I agree VW are a business and are there to make money, but selling in bulk at lowest price in not always the best way to max profit.
Solar Orange TT RS
Evil Derboy
In: Deep Black
Options: Leather • Nav

Post by Evil Derboy »

It's a balancing act. Much like any product or commodity the producer has to make sure that supply and demand is carefully balanced and the desirability of their product is maintained.

Andy, if you're argument held water then Bugatti Veyron's, Lambourghini Reventons and every other rare motor would be getting shoved off the production line at double quick pace and sold for buttons. The Scirocco is hardly a Lambo or a particularly prestigious car. Sorry folks but it simply isn't. However it is a niche model and one that if overly produced has the potential to canabalise sales of the Golf GTI (The flagship of the VW brand). This is one of the reasons why the Scirocco wasn't released in the states.

So in one respect I agree with you Andy, of course they are trying to protect their balance sheet but at the same time, we're not exactly talking about a corner shop here either. I'm sure the sales and marketing strategy of a multi-million pound, multi national car manufacturer is slightly more complex than "Sell em cheap, stack em high".

Maybe you should send your CV away to Martin Winterkorn and tell him how he's running the company into the ground. Be warned though, last time I saw a job ad for VW the small print at the bottom said "Rude, opinionated, Aberdonian Know-It-Alls need not apply"...
archebald23
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Shadow Blue

Post by archebald23 »

with volkswagen's reputation right now, i dont think volkswagen would risk anything that can hurt their reputation so even if its a business, and businesses are built to make profit, one could possibly go with the humanitarian act such as exclusivity (may it be on the car as a whole or its vw parts) to maintain its established reputation.