Latest Premium Bluetooth Module

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
arlurt
I drive a: R-Line
In: Deep Black
With a: DSG box
Options: Changes will be made...
Puddle lights, Cruise and Reversing Camera on the cards.

Re: Latest Premium Bluetooth Module

Post by arlurt »

Battery level is now fine, an hour to work and an hour home has done it.

I appear to have an intermittent microphone on the phone kit though, some of the "open circuit" messages might have been true rather than coding problems. I'll drop the headlining end first, un-plug, blow at it, and plug it back in. If that doesn't work I'll do the same on the telephone unit. Last stop will be the same procedure with the RCD510 connector.

Just to cheer me up, the DPF warning light came on driving home. It has been smelling hot, and fans running when I've stopped,but I just thought it was on a re-gen cycle. The light is off again, but I don't think I've seen the last of it.
arlurt

Post by arlurt »

Right guys, a litte progress has been made, but not really in the right direction...

My microphone fault isn't intermittent. I'd thought the car microphone was working because my home phone echoed when I'd tested the car kit, but it turns out it was actully feeding back through the house phone microphone, not the car one.

I've rung out the car wiring and found that the car microphone is routed to the RCD 510. From there a another cable connects what I guess is "microphone out" to the car bluetooth kit. I've seen threads on here and elsewhere suggesting that if I don't have an RNS 510 then you have to connect the microphone input to the RCD510 to the microphone output to connect the microphone directly to the bluetooth kit. Because my wiring loom was a point-to-point one, not a retro fit, I'd thought I wouldn't have to loop out the RCD510 connection, but it seems I'm wrong. Unless...

Poking about on VCDS coding for the RCD 510 I found a selection for "microphone fitted". I guess this will route the nicrophone signal through to the bluetooth kit without having to change the wiring on the car. Has anyone tried this?

I'd have had a go myself but I the car won't let me code the RCD510 radio. Has anyone else had problems trying to change codes on the RCD510?

Anyway,if I can't code the RCD510 for a microphone to be fitted I'll have to change the wiring. A job for tomorrow...
arlurt

Post by arlurt »

Wiring mod done. I've looped the mike connection to bypass the RCD510 direct to the bluetooth kit. The bluetooth phone kit now works, no problems, but I'm still annoyed that I couldn't code the RCD510 to pass the microphne connection through to the bluetooth kit without having to change the wring.

And the "Press to Talk" button still doesn't do anthing. Several threads say that the 5K0 035 730 D does support "Voice Control" but I can't get it to work. This may be becuase I can't get the RCD510 to accept coding for Telephone installed?

A last complaint, the phonebook is fine on the MFD, but on the RCD510 the text is all jumbled together with the numbers. There's plainly a problem with the way the data's being handled by the RCD510 that doesn't affect the MFD, but it does bother the RCD510. Maybe a firmware upgrade of the RCD510 will help?

The Bluetooth kit is still complaining that it's "not properly coded" but that too may be due to the Aug 2009 RCD510 not knowing how the September 2012 bluetooth kit works. Again, a word with the dealer at service might help?
dstill
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Candy White
With a: Manual box
Options: Panoramic sunroof
19 inch Lugano black alloys/pack
RNS 510
Winter pack
Folding mirrors
Reversing sensors
Full interior LED's
Cruise control
Alloy footrest

Post by dstill »

You could'nt do me a quick guide mate to show how to change the wiring to get the voice control to work? :yes:
ollietheking
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
Options: Leather with 12 way adjustment, PDC, Cruise Control, Bluetooth

Post by ollietheking »

arlurt wrote:Wiring mod done. I've looped the mike connection to bypass the RCD510 direct to the bluetooth kit. The bluetooth phone kit now works, no problems, but I'm still annoyed that I couldn't code the RCD510 to pass the microphne connection through to the bluetooth kit without having to change the wring.

And the "Press to Talk" button still doesn't do anthing. Several threads say that the 5K0 035 730 D does support "Voice Control" but I can't get it to work. This may be becuase I can't get the RCD510 to accept coding for Telephone installed?

A last complaint, the phonebook is fine on the MFD, but on the RCD510 the text is all jumbled together with the numbers. There's plainly a problem with the way the data's being handled by the RCD510 that doesn't affect the MFD, but it does bother the RCD510. Maybe a firmware upgrade of the RCD510 will help?

The Bluetooth kit is still complaining that it's "not properly coded" but that too may be due to the Aug 2009 RCD510 not knowing how the September 2012 bluetooth kit works. Again, a word with the dealer at service might help?
Hi,

I have similar problems with my RCD510 coming up with a jumbled phone book and voice control not working.

I replaced a 5N0 035 730 B with a 5K0 035 730 D.

If you find a solution for any of these issues, can you let me know. I've had too many conversations with VW dealer service techs, managers etc etc and they were as useful as a chocolate fire guard.

Ollie
arlurt

Post by arlurt »

The car was in for service a couple of weeks ago and I asked them to have a look at the RCD510 software to see if it could be upgraded to work with the upgraded phone kit. They refused to do it as part of the service, saying that because that phone kit wasn't fitted to the car when it was new they would swap the car kit for one the same age as the car so that it did work with the RCD510. As this wasn't what I wanted, I told them not to bother.

The phone kit works well enough at the higher levelphone menus on the RCD510, and in the MFD so I've left it at that. I'm considering upgrading the RCD510 to a DAB unit. If I get a late model RCD510 DAB it moght work better with my phone kit...
RW1
Legend
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

Be aware of Dab & Dab+.....

Facia wise they look the same. The part number for the RCD510 DAB+ on the back plate is 3C8 057 195B or BX. New at VW is £900-ish (1099 euro's).

Wiring/connectors/support circuit may also be an issue to consider as its only listed as a accessory for MY2013 from 28th May 2012 onwards. The option build codes changes the aerial amplifier part number to 1K8 035 552F.

C.
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
arlurt

Post by arlurt »

Thanks.

Sound like I want a new-ish one, but not too new...
dimexi
Options: Parking Sensors

VAGCOM Mods:
DRL/PRL off
Needle sweep
XDS on
Big mph speedo
Alarm beep
Comfort indicator blinks adjusted to 4
Windows close via rain sensor

Other Mods:
Metal Pedals
Self installed VW OEM Bluetooth 7P6(L)
Self installed Cruise Control
RNS510
Stage 1 Bluefin

Post by dimexi »

Brilliant thread! Only just found it after my weekend of looking for VW bluetooth module installation guides - it was quite tedious.

I know maq has done this successfully, so hope he doesnt mind helping.

dstill - have you sorted out your mic problem?! From ALL my searches so far, I have noticed EVERYONE had a problem with the mic wiring.

I am confident in soldering joints etc - they will be tacky, but I think I did enough at school level electronics to get me through.

Another point, I am glad that the bluetooth module can fit behind on behind the RCD unit - this will be a massive help. I intend to do this during a weekend in the next month or so hopefully.

It will initially be hooked up with my RCD510, till I have enough money (spare) to buy an RNS :p.

Maq - did you have to solder wires?
maq
Options: 19" Black Luganos/Style Pack, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensor, RNS-510 + VIM patch, VW Bluetooth & A2DP, Cruise Control, Aluminium Pedals

Post by maq »

Hey

If you buy a kit, the loom and mic will not require soldering.

I used the pre installed mic as I already had voice control, and even doing that just required me to pop some pins out of an ISO connector and insert the original mic pins in their place

In short, no soldering required :)
dimexi

VAGCOM Mods:
DRL/PRL off
Needle sweep
XDS on
Big mph speedo
Alarm beep

Other Mods:
Metal Pedals
RNS510
Stage 1 Bluefin

Post by dimexi »

Thanks for the info. Not quite sure what you mean by "kit", as I expect it to come as a kit anyway, but maybe not! I am looking on ebay now...

You bought the 9W7? why not the 9Wz?
maq
Options: 19" Black Luganos/Style Pack, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensor, RNS-510 + VIM patch, VW Bluetooth & A2DP, Cruise Control, Aluminium Pedals

Latest Premium Bluetooth Module

Post by maq »

I bought the 7P6 revision L, not sure what code that works out to but it's on the Ross-tech site as you're talking option codes there.

Kit as in module, loom, mic etc as a package, rather than just the module itself or buying parts seperately

I should add I did have another Bluetooth OEM module before the 7P6 but Bluetooth implementation for A2DP was a bit sketchy and the latest revision is much improved
dimexi

VAGCOM Mods:
DRL/PRL off
Needle sweep
XDS on
Big mph speedo
Alarm beep

Other Mods:
Metal Pedals
RNS510
Stage 1 Bluefin

Post by dimexi »

Thanks for the info! You've been a big help so far.

I have found revision F, J and C on ebay of 7p6 - I wish I knew the differences! Just the C sounds good! I was tempted by the J, but now I know there is an L, I will look harder and probably visit the ross-tech website too

EDIT - Found the Ross-tech page... The differences between J and L are not clear at all..

Lastly, where did you buy your module?
maq

Post by maq »

I went for car systems (I think it's called), a polish website, easily found on google who sell at reasonable prices and ship to UK.

You may as well buy the most up to date that is compatible with your car/MFD unless you're looking for an eBay bargain, in which case just make sure you do your homework around compatibility.

Good luck :)
dimexi

VAGCOM Mods:
DRL/PRL off
Needle sweep
XDS on
Big mph speedo
Alarm beep

Other Mods:
Metal Pedals
RNS510
Stage 1 Bluefin

Post by dimexi »

Morning Maq,
I found carsystems yesterday, and I was just waiting to get confirmation from someone who had purchased from them :).
I will be going for the "J" for sure. My car is a 2010 'roc, and I am certain of the compatibility.
I will get the kit within the week, and hopefully I can get to fit it at the end of the month while this dry spell of weather lasts. Once again, thanks for your help
maq

Post by maq »

No problem, good luck.. Assume you have VCDS at hand or know someone who does?

My advice is just take your time. I found the RNS unit difficult to get back in, but it all fits and just takes some deep breathes and wiggling!
dimexi

VAGCOM Mods:
DRL/PRL off
Needle sweep
XDS on
Big mph speedo
Alarm beep

Other Mods:
Metal Pedals
RNS510
Stage 1 Bluefin

Post by dimexi »

Hey Maq,
I have now ordered the Kit from carsystems, and it should be with my next week, right on time for me to fit at the end of the month! And as the gf is away, i wont be upsetting anyone by dismantling my car and staying put for the whole day :p.

I don't have an RNS (yet), I will be wiring the kit up to an RCD510 for now. I assume the wiring at the back is the same, as RNS510 upgrades for people with the bluetooth kit fitted has been plug and play.

I have VCDS (thanks to the advice of the late great RW1), so that wont be an issue for me at all.

The only thing I am worried about is taking off my A-pillar without damaging the airbag logo clip

Edit: I also have to take out the old bury kit - but that wont be a problem! that seems to have been covered in this thread too. I am quite excited actually - never done anything as extensive as this since I had my first car back in the day.. Even then, it was just a bit of soldering I had to do
maq

Post by maq »

A-Pillar isn't too difficult to remove, just use good trim removal tools and nothing to sharp it metal based :)
dimexi

VAGCOM Mods:
DRL/PRL off
Needle sweep
XDS on
Big mph speedo
Alarm beep

Other Mods:
Metal Pedals
RNS510
Stage 1 Bluefin

Post by dimexi »

Yep, got that covered too! Ordered some removal tools from ebay. Just some simple plastic ones (for anyone reading this, just search for car dash removal tools on ebay, or if you want fancy kit, buy the ones made by BOJO).

I still think the airbag tab will be difficult, the lugs (on the guide I've seen) look quite long and could snap.

Got an email off car systems and the kit is on its way..

I am not very good at how to guides, but I will post any new techniques I find into this thread for others to see.

And for the sake of simplicity of searching - The latest bluetooth module as of 16/7/2013 is 7P6 035 730L
dimexi

VAGCOM Mods:
DRL/PRL off
Needle sweep
XDS on
Big mph speedo
Alarm beep

Other Mods:
Metal Pedals
RNS510
Stage 1 Bluefin

Post by dimexi »

Arrived safe and sound! Project for the weekend :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.