Retrofit MFSW buttons?

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
Rusty1111
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Salsa Red
With a: DSG box

Re: Retrofit MFSW buttons?

Post by Rusty1111 »

Great stuff.. I will make some enquiries now. I don't think there should be an issue.. and if it saves a few £ then all the better :)

I do have a DSG box, but I don't have the paddles on the steering wheel. I did look into maybe getting them, but at £500+ for a new wheel I decided to just leave it.. I probably wouldn't use them anyway I tend to just leave the car in drive. 140bhp isn't really all that sporty.
BlueTSI
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 122/125
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box

Post by BlueTSI »

I am looking to do this but just want to double check a couple of things.

- I am hoping the steering wheel controller is compatible with MFSW, otherwise I will need a new one. Question is, are any midline controllers compatible with MFSW? I will check with VCDS on what version i have, but is it almost certain I will need a new highline controller or is there a chance that my current midline will work?

- If i dont need a highline controller, than I just need the buttons and MFSW controller? Correct?
Rusty1111

Post by Rusty1111 »

wensleydale wrote:Mine were 2nd hand off a car where they had replaced the standard silver buttons with the black R buttons, so I can't see it being an issue recovering them from a scrapped car. Providing the airbags haven't gone off it could be a good source of donor parts.

I believe i used part 5K0971584C, but i would need to check. It connects the slip ring controller to the Airbag, horn & MFSW controller (see below)
5K0971584C.jpg
I've just spotted you have a dsg box, do you have the shift paddles on the steering wheel?

Rob.
Hiya Rob,

I FINALLY have got round to scanning the car to look at the slip ring variant, and to my surprise it is a 5k0953569.. which looking at ross-techs website is a midline...

Do you know if a highline slip ring can go in in place of a midline?

Really appreciate the advice :)

Matt

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
Rusty1111

Post by Rusty1111 »

wensleydale wrote:Mine were 2nd hand off a car where they had replaced the standard silver buttons with the black R buttons, so I can't see it being an issue recovering them from a scrapped car. Providing the airbags haven't gone off it could be a good source of donor parts.

I believe i used part 5K0971584C, but i would need to check. It connects the slip ring controller to the Airbag, horn & MFSW controller (see below)
5K0971584C.jpg
I've just spotted you have a dsg box, do you have the shift paddles on the steering wheel?

Rob.
Hiya Rob,

I FINALLY have got round to scanning the car to look at the slip ring variant, and to my surprise it is a 5k0953569.. which looking at ross-techs website is a midline...

Do you know if a highline slip ring can go in in place of a midline?

Really appreciate the advice :)

Matt

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
wensleydale

Post by wensleydale »

You shouldn't have any issues with replacing the midline for a highline. This is what I had to do to fit the buttons to my car.
Rusty1111

Post by Rusty1111 »

Hiya Rob,

Me again I am afraid!

Thanks for confirming that the slip ring should be ok from mid to highline.

Going back a bit in our conversation on this one - I have actually gone for a new steering wheel instead of the replacement buttons (for the same price as getting just the buttons!!), but it has the paddle shifters as well.. You asked previously if my car had paddles.... There shouldnt be an issue if I get an E level controller should there? Works with autos, cruise, MSFW etc.

Really appreciate your advice! I definitely owe you a beer or two!!

Thanks

Matt
wensleydale

Post by wensleydale »

It sounds like that controller supports everything, so in theory it should be fine. You may even be able to get the paddles working. As with all these things there are no real guarantees until you try it.
Rusty1111

Post by Rusty1111 »

wensleydale wrote:It sounds like that controller supports everything, so in theory it should be fine. You may even be able to get the paddles working. As with all these things there are no real guarantees until you try it.
Lets hope so :) the parts should get here this week / next week. I will give it a go and we shall see what happens!