Retrofit MFSW buttons?

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
mhopley
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Heated leather,RNS510,Bluetooth, cruise

Retrofit MFSW buttons?

Post by mhopley »

I'm looking for a scirocco at the moment. I have seen one but it is the base model not the GT, the main thing that is missing is the steering wheel buttons.
Can you retrofit just the buttons or is it a whole new wheel?
The buttons are for sale on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190949223361

The car is DSG but I'm not too bothered about the flappy paddles.

Thanks
Just Bought - White Scirocco with DSG and leather.
wensleydale
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box

Re: Retrofit MFSW buttons?

Post by wensleydale »

Yes you can, but it depends on what model year the car is. I did this on my MY2012 car back in December, but haven't had time to do a write up yet, I used the following parts, and it cost me about £300 to do including cruise control:

MFSW controller: http://www.cars-equipment.com/www/en/sh ... oduct_4865" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MFSW Wiring harness: http://www.cars-equipment.com/www/en/sh ... oduct_4821" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MFSW Buttons: http://www.cars-equipment.com/www/en/sh ... -steering/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Optional - Cruise stalks: http://www.cars-equipment.com/www/en/sh ... oduct_5731" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Laptop with Vagcom/VCDS

If you can let me know what year the car is I will suggest some alternative parts if is pre MY2010 or has the old style steering wheel.

Rob.
pastak.6@gmail.com
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184

Post by pastak.6@gmail.com »

I always thought that I need a new stering wheel, dont I? Could buttons be really only replace from the silver decor?
mhopley
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Candy White
Options: Heated leather,RNS510,Bluetooth, cruise

Post by mhopley »

wensleydale wrote: If you can let me know what year the car is I will suggest some alternative parts if is pre MY2010 or has the old style steering wheel.

Rob.
Thanks for that Rob, it is a 2010 MY car, for £300 it might be worth looking at.
I've read that even when fitting a new wheel you need a new controller, so hopefully a bit easier to just add the buttons.
Just Bought - White Scirocco with DSG and leather.
wensleydale

Post by wensleydale »

pastak.6@gmail.com wrote:I always thought that I need a new stering wheel, dont I? Could buttons be really only replace from the silver decor?
The silver trim is held on by 2 screws and 4 clips, you can just pop that out and screw the one with buttons back in. Then press the cables from the buttons into the pre-moulded cable guides in the steering wheel to bring them to the center. The mfsw controller just presses into in the center of the wheel with mouldings to hold it in place. Then change the airbag wiring harness to get the extra connector to connect up the new controller. After that it should just be vagcom tweaks.

You may need to change the main steering wheel controller, and if you're a perfectionist you will want to change the stalks (at which point it makes sense to add cruise add you can do it for free). Check uklee's cruise thread for a table of mfsw compatible steering controllers.

Rob.
pastak.6@gmail.com
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184

Post by pastak.6@gmail.com »

Is it really that easy? So I need to buy those firts three things as controller, wiring harness and buttons and thats all? No need any different control unit under the sterigwheel? Are you sure there are already pre-moulded cable guides in the SW? Not sure what last sentence mean..
wensleydale

Post by wensleydale »

there are a number of variants of steering wheel controller that can be loosely categorized into "highline" and "midline". The midline units support the MFD and Cruise, the highline units support the MFD, Cruise and the MFSW. you would need VCDS/Vagsom to check the part number of your steering wheel controller and compare it to the table here: http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.ph ... K0-953-569" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you are lucky and have a highline controller then you are good to go, if you only have a midline controller then you will need to upgrade the steering wheel controller to a highline model. This will involve taking the steering wheel off. This may sound like a lot of extra work, but the most difficult, time consuming and nerve wracking part of the process was removing the airbag. Take a look at UKLee's thread on retrofitting cruise control to give you an idea of what is involved in changing the steering wheel controller: http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... ad#p133074" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

As for the cable guides, all I can say is that my steering wheel had them (when i decided to do this mod I didn't know the guides would be there, but I reasoned that VW wouldn't make two sets of moulds for an area no-one is ever meant to see)
unknown

Post by unknown »

I'd like to retrofit the mfsw buttons in my 2009 Scirocco. Problem is I can't find the buttons that would fit my steering wheel. They don't have them here either
http://www.cars-equipment.com/www/en/sh ... s-buttons/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I believe mine is the first version that came out with the Scirocco, as per my picture:
$_57222.jpg
Anyone know where I can get these buttons for a fair price? :)

I can't check what exactly is behind that steering wheel cover or what OEM part as I am away on holiday. Have got too much time at hand so preparing for all the upgrades I'm planning to do.

While I'm at it I'll retrofit the cruise control and the Bluetooth module as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wensleydale

Post by wensleydale »

I've just had a quick look, the best i can find is a full steering wheel for £50, but you should be able to remove the buttons and transplant them to your own wheel:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volkswagen-go ... 3cef7ee372" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The buttons don't come up on ebay very often, so you need to keep an eye out. I had the buttons sat in a cupboard for months while i was still researching the mod.
unknown

Post by unknown »

I did a quick research and these buttons come in 2 versions. Can't really tell from the picture if those are the latest ones.
I found these part numbers:
1K0 959 537 J
1K0 959 538 F
Not sure to which these correspond as only pictures from forums come up on my google search.

To be honest I am struggling to find compatible parts part numbers to my steering wheel. Everyone has the 2010 and later versions [emoji37].

I was hoping to be able and put a list together.

If I'm right I need the following:
MFSW buttons
Steering wheel controller
Slip ring
Wiring
Flappy paddles (if they fit my model)
Cruise Control

I also read somewhere that some of this stuff might not be working on my lowline make?! I also have the lowline MFA.

Puzzled!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wensleydale

Post by wensleydale »

as far as i have been able to tell, the white lowline mfd isn't capable of supporting the steering wheel buttons, I'm not sure about the red MFD, would be best to look and see if you can find a car with the combination of features you want on your car. If you can find one then it should be possible to do the retrofit.
Rusty1111
In: Salsa Red

Post by Rusty1111 »

Morning All,

Sorry to dig up an old topic!

I was looking into retrofitting a MFSW when I stumbled upon this.. Have to say it seems like a much better option (and an added bonus of fitting cruise while I am at it..)

One question though... does the RH steering wheel stalk not require replacing at the same time? Mine has a button on the bottom and a two way switch on the end to scroll through options on the screen.. Any ideas on part numbers that would be compatible with the MFSW?

Thanks

Matt
wensleydale

Post by wensleydale »

Hi Matt.

Looking at the age of your car your stalks will be combined in one unit so the when you buy cruise you'll get both stalks. You'll just need to buy a set that doesn't have the switch/button on the right stalk (5K0953502M IIRC)

Rob.
Rusty1111

Post by Rusty1111 »

Thanks for the help Rob :)

I still need to plug in and check my slip ring part number the car has the high line computer I think so I just need to see if it accepts cruise & MFSW..

But once that is all checked out I think I might have to go for it! Did you do the fit yourself? Any handy tips or things to watch out for?

I will try and grab some pictures etc as I am doing it (when I get all the parts!)

Cheers

Matt
wensleydale

Post by wensleydale »

Yeah, i fitted it myself. Best is to follow UKLee's cruise control guide(http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... se#p126721" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), that will cover all the major points. Then once you have refitted the steering wheel (but before you refit the airbag) you will need to do the following:
  1. Remove the blank trim by undoing the two screws visible (circled), then pulling the trim out of the clips
    2013-12-15-1.jpg
  2. Press fit the MFSW controller into the cut out moulded into the bottom of the steering wheel
    2013-12-15-2.jpg
  3. Clip the MFSW buttons into the steering wheel and replace the screws. Apply pressure to the Blue marked areas when tightening the screws to ensure an even gap between the air bag and the buttons.
    2013-12-15-3.jpg
  4. Route the cables from the buttons through the guides moulded into the steering wheel and connect to the MFSW controller
    2013-12-15-4.jpg
  5. Replace the yellow cable on the back of the air bag with the MFSW compatible cable
  6. Refit the airbag remembering to connect the MFSW controller to the airbag harness
Only thing to watch out for is when you are refitting the airbag, make sure the yellow cable is well away from the 4 springs on the back of the airbag as it's easy to trap it and then it's a pain to get off and refit properly.

I'll have to dig out the coding, but IIRC it's only two bit changes, one to disable the trip function on the stalk and the other to say MFSW is fitted.

Rob.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wensleydale

Post by wensleydale »

VCDS Coding Details:
  1. Open Controller "16-Steering Wheel"
  2. Open "Coding - 07"
  3. Click "Long Coding Helper"
  4. Go to byte 0, untick bit 6 "Board Computer controlled via Wiper Lever"
  5. Go to Byte 1, set Bit 0-2 to "02 Multi-Function-Steering-Wheel (MFSW) connected via LIN 2.0"
  6. Press Esc
  7. Click "Do It!"
  8. Turn ignition off and remove key, reinsert key turn to position 1 or above and test operation
Rob.
Rusty1111

Post by Rusty1111 »

Rob,

What can I say?! Awesome guide. I think this will make it really clear.

By the looks of it the whole silver part is replaced with the buttons? Correct?

Thanks

Matt
wensleydale

Post by wensleydale »

Yeah that's right it's all one piece, the thin centre section is very springy which is why you need to press the buttons into the side of the steering wheel while you're tightening the screws.

Rob.
Rusty1111

Post by Rusty1111 »

Thanks Rob! Really appreciate your guidance on this one :)

The buttons are very few and far between by the looks of things... what would your opinion be on stripping them from a car with MFSW that had been scrapped (with airbags that have not gone off)? There are couple of Rocs on ebay that look promising as donors, just need to see how much they would want for them!

One last question (I promise!) - The Wiring harness! Do you have a part number for this one? Which connection is this for? I tried the link you put in a previous post but it doesn't seem to link to a specific item....

Cheers

Matt
wensleydale

Post by wensleydale »

Mine were 2nd hand off a car where they had replaced the standard silver buttons with the black R buttons, so I can't see it being an issue recovering them from a scrapped car. Providing the airbags haven't gone off it could be a good source of donor parts.

I believe i used part 5K0971584C, but i would need to check. It connects the slip ring controller to the Airbag, horn & MFSW controller (see below)
5K0971584C.jpg
I've just spotted you have a dsg box, do you have the shift paddles on the steering wheel?

Rob.