Tom Tom

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
tomas1
In: Shadow Blue
With a: Manual box

Tom Tom

Post by tomas1 »

Hi,

Long time reader, but first posting! I'm looking to shove a Tom Tom unit in my scirocco, but I am trying to work out the best method of hiding the power cables in a non-destructive way ie no drilling of holes etc. Has anyone done something like this or know where I can find someone who has? I want to mount it on the bottom right of the windscreen.

Cheers,

Tom
bungle
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Rising Blue
With a: DSG box
Options: Vienna Leather. Folding Mirrors. Parking Sensors. Carpet Mats.

Re: Tom Tom

Post by bungle »

I use a tom tom v4. in my 'roc. I bought one of those plastic mounting discs you can sucker onto, and stuck the disc on the hidden surface directly above the 12v inlet storage tray just ahead of the gear lever. you can then sucker the tom tom to this (the v4 has the new style mount so there is room to do this) and fold the screen down. I find this a perfect fit because, the sucker mount is hidden, you plug straight into the 12v and fold all the wire away, it doesnt effect your line of sight through the window, but is still easily readable, and you can remove it in seconds, leaving no trace.
tomas1
In: Shadow Blue

Post by tomas1 »

Hi,

I like that idea, not thought of it myself. Where did you get your sticky padd to use for the suction pad?

Tom
albertz33
In: Viper Green
Options: dab radio, dynaudio speakers

Post by albertz33 »

there is a groove in the dash, you can run the cable in, then run it down the side, thru the small cubby hole on the drivers side over the steering wheel hub then down to the 12V, almost invisible.
bungle

Post by bungle »

tomas1 wrote:Hi,

I like that idea, not thought of it myself. Where did you get your sticky padd to use for the suction pad?

Tom
Got it off e bay. I think it was under 'sat nav mounting discs' or something similar......
iroc
In: Deep Black
Options: Black Leather, Pano Roof, Winter Pack, Mats, Sat Nav, Prem Sills.
Now Sold

Post by iroc »

TomTom actually do them now.
dangermouse

Post by dangermouse »

anyone had problems with their Tom Tom go V4, just had to send mine back as has goen bonkers, bought 3 v3s for people all working fine?
bungle

Post by bungle »

Mine has a dicky fit now and again, but nothing that I'm really bothered about....
drnick
Options: leather, Nav, Park sensors

Post by drnick »

i had a GO730 which went away for repair 3 times, then they replaced it and still faulty, swapped last week for a GO540 Live, so far so good....... Still think my old GO300 was the most reliable.......
Torf

Post by Torf »

bungle wrote:I use a tom tom v4. in my 'roc. I bought one of those plastic mounting discs you can sucker onto, and stuck the disc on the hidden surface directly above the 12v inlet storage tray just ahead of the gear lever. you can then sucker the tom tom to this (the v4 has the new style mount so there is room to do this) and fold the screen down. I find this a perfect fit because, the sucker mount is hidden, you plug straight into the 12v and fold all the wire away, it doesnt effect your line of sight through the window, but is still easily readable, and you can remove it in seconds, leaving no trace.
Any chance of a pic to help describe the above?
trix
Options: Gone but never forgotten; Sumatra, Cruise, Parking Sensors, Flat Tyre Indicator, boot liner, hatchbag, premium sills, SciroccoCentral stickers & hedgehog!
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09
Off to his new home July 2016 after nearly 7 years & 88800 miles.

Missing RW1

Post by trix »

i've recently used this idea to mount my phone holder, so simple & avoids any tell tale suction ring marks on the windscreen

The mounting disk was about a pound from amazon, sadly the 3M tape provided on the mounting disk couldn't stick to the textured plastic very well so i added a few craft type sticky pads

because of how my phone fits in the holder i've moved it to the left compared to these pics & can still hit the acc button when needed (i tend to leave mine in sport though)

S

phone mount, satnav mount
stuaz
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
In: Deep Black
Options: Sat Nav, Winter Pack, Rear Parking Sensors, Cruise Control.

Post by stuaz »

Nice little mod there Trixy.
Now a Proud Owner!
trix
Options: Gone but never forgotten; Sumatra, Cruise, Parking Sensors, Flat Tyre Indicator, boot liner, hatchbag, premium sills, SciroccoCentral stickers & hedgehog!
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09

Missing RW1

Post by trix »

yup good for mounting phones or satnavs & spending less than £2 to save the risk of a little scroat breaking into your car because they can see a suction cup mark is well worth it in my book

S
wigit
Options: I used to own one

Post by wigit »

tomtom suction mounts are so poor now they can't stick the right way up let alone upside down, thats where mine sits

by the way Trix, I-Phone is the future ;)
Golf 7R - Golf 7R - BMW M2
trix
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09

Missing RW1

Post by trix »

it hasn't got too far to fall there then ;)
wigit wrote:by the way Trix, I-Phone is the future ;)
you're wrong ;)
cm had the chance to convince me & failed :p