Some Noob questions regarding new purchase...

Talk about general things related to the new VW Scirocco in here.
Rocstar
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Candy White
With a: DSG box
Options: Not many!! At least it's light. :)

Some Noob questions regarding new purchase...

Post by Rocstar »

Hi all.

New to the forum and looking to get into a Candy White 2.0 GT TSi at the weekend. Having owned GTI's over the years I've decided to have a change and give the Scirocco a try, however I have a few what may seem like stupid questions that I could do with getting clarification on before I sign on the dotted line.

I believe that all Scirocco's are built in Portugal, so do all Scirocco's have the Country of Origin as Portugal. Stupid question I know just want to make sure I buy a UK spec car and there isn't some technical issue I've overlooked. Like, should the documents state it's CoO as Germany for instance?

Secondly, when I did an HPI check on the car I'm interested in it came back as a Scirocco GT S-A. What is the S-A bit? Does it just mean Semi-Automatic as the car has a DSG box.

And lastly, this is my first VW with DSG. Will I regret it?

All being well I pick the car up this Saturday and look forward to sharing my exploits.

Thanks for any guidance you can give. :yes:
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
With a: Manual box
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Re: Some Noob questions regarding new purchase...

Post by Cuprabob »

The S-A does refer to Semi- Automatic as it's DSG.

I don't think you will regret DSG. I had one for 5 years and loved it but decided to go back to manual with my current one. DSG is marmite, you either love it or hate it.

In my experience you need to change your driving style to get teh best out of it and learn to live with it's little quirks.
Mac135
In: Indium Grey
Options: Pana roof, sat nav and dynaudio

Post by Mac135 »

Cuprabob is right to get the best out of the dsg takes a little work and some adjustment. I recommend you get using the paddles asap and don't spend all your time in D.

My new roc R is my second DSG car. Prior to that all manuals, in between a bmw auto. I'm loving being back in a car with dsg
Scirocco R- Indium c/w DSG, pana roof, dynaudio and sat/nav. A happy owner since April 2012
Roy
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Salsa Red
Options: 2 zone climate, cruise, winter pack, xenon, fogs, DAB, Dynaudio, parking sensors, multifunction steering wheel with paddle shift, electric door mirrors, flaps, XDS, nodding black bear.

Post by Roy »

For 30 years or so I never considered an automatic until now and really enjoying having a DSG. Wouldn't go back to manual now...
Mini Clubman, Mini, (Golf MK1), Golf MK2, Scirocco MK1, Golf MK3, Scirocco MK2, Golf MK4, Scirocco MK3.
thecrofter
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Rising Blue
Options: Tracker, Recaro Seats, Pano Roof, RNS510, Dynaudio, Cruise, Black Gloss Folding Mirrors

Post by thecrofter »

Two DSG's to date (one Golf one Roc) and another Roc (R-Line) on order now. The only thing you'll regret is why you didn't make the change earlier!
2.0 TSi 280 R DSG Rising Blue / April 15 - 11 March 20
2.0 TDi 170 DSG R-Line Indium Grey / June 12 - April 15
2.0 GT TDi 170 DSG Salsa Red / May 10 - June 12
Rocstar

Post by Rocstar »

Some encouraging comments there. :yes: Think I'm going to do it. So, Saturday is the day if all things work out as planned. 400 mile round trip to get it though. Motorway there, back roads back. :D

[note_to_self]Make sure I take the Pogo Alert.</note_to_self]
b0rk
Options: Used to have an R...

Post by b0rk »

To echo cuprabob, I'd always advise trying before buying.I wouldn't go back to a manual but I do know a few people that would and did.
Rocstar

Post by Rocstar »

I'm usually an early adopter of new technology but DSG escaped me. The traditionalist in me stuck with manual. Anyway, how bad can it be. Reviews are generally pretty good so I'll give it a go. :nod:
Rocstar

Post by Rocstar »

Well I've had it a week now. Okay, DSG isn't that bad to be fair although I'm not taken with it just yet. What's that Sport mode all about anyhow?

The car looks great and I have to say its one of the better VW interiors IMO. Things that are annoying me at the moment, which I never noticed at the time is how the bonnet lines up with the wings, or should I say doesn't. It looks terrible and from what I can gather there is a lot of cars out there suffering from the same problem. This isn't like VW at all and I've owned enough to know, so I wonder if it is an issue with how they are put together. What I mean by that is perhaps it can be aligned properly if the right person does it. I refuse to believe the "its a feature of the car" argument the dealers are apparently coming up with. I'll bring this up with my local dealer and see what I can come up with.

oh, and it's wide! lol
RW1
Legend
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
Options: Black Leather, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Leather, Fogs, 2 Zone Air Con, MF Steering Wheel, Factory Carpet Mats

Ordered 12Jul'09, provisional build Wk43, now 42 (05/08/09), PRODUCTION CONFIRMED Wk43 (30/09/09), Driving 04Nov09.

Hi from Sunny Stopfordia

Post by RW1 »

DSG "D" Drive mode is effectively a economy driving mode where the gearbox changes up at rpm optimum to maintain maximum fuel economy. "S" Sport mode holds the gear changes until at higher engine RPM, so that the full power of the engine can be utilised when driving in a sporting manner.

The bonnet doesn't line up by design with the wings. It is meant to overhang the wings by 5mm + 1mm (skintop surface to skin top surface) at the mid point headlamp - windscreen "A" piller base. Official :) , in the body repair manual to be set this way for shut lines on the car when repaired.

And the gap height between wing and bonnet at mid point is specified as 5.5mm +1mm.

(Mine has a Right Hand overhang of 4.0mm with gap height of 4.0mm and Left Hand overhang of 4.5mm with gap height of 4.5mm using a gapping tool. That was after I nudged the bonnet to balance up the gaps just after delivery.)

It's there for Pedestrian accident protection and also wind noise reduction.

You will also notice that the broad base of the "A" pillars body line overhangs the rear top corners of the front wings as well. But the bonnet rear corners line up the "A" pillar body lower front body line.

C.

ETA: Posted this following continued queries on body shut lines ....
Week 43 Build has happened on time! 22 Oct'09 Scirocco is at Check Point 5 in the factory
23 Oct'09 Now Complete on the dockside, 24 Oct'09 Sailed from Portugal, 27 Oct'09 In the UK,
29 Oct'09 at dealers
Driving 4th Nov. Sorted!
Rocstar

Post by Rocstar »

lol, shows how much I know then, but I have to say I'm amazed if what you say is true. I'm not doubting you by any stretch of the imagination so it will be interesting to see how my local VW bodyshop deals with my queries. :) Oh, first mod today also, if you can call it a mod that is, is an OEM flexible load liner.

[edit]

Oh yeah, something else that happened today. Parked the car up and it wouldn't engage reverse when the time came. When reverse was selected it kept pulling forward...lol Not a good start to DSG ownership. However, it did "eventually" select reverse after leaving the car for a while and trying a few gear combinations.