Pirelli Seal Inside Puncture

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
paul t
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box
Options: FOGS,FOLDING MIRRORS,18"ALLOYS.MATS

Post by paul t »

I have just noticed a small nail in the centre of the tread in a pirelli self sealing tyre.There is no pressure loss,so is it safe to leave it or if i pull it out will tyre still seal itself.Any advice please.
Shaun
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Reflex Silver
With a: DSG box
Options: RNS510, DSG, leather, 19" Talladega's, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, front covered cup holder, rear cup holders, piano black cubby hole, Audi R8 oil cap

Re: SELF SEAL TYRE

Post by Shaun »

Have you looked on the Pirelli website ?

In the event of a puncture, the sealant allows the driver to continue driving – not having to stop the vehicle for an immediate replacement of the tyre – until it can be replaced.
The sealant does not guarantee permanent repair of the tyre caused by a puncture. For this reason Pirelli recommends that drivers regularly monitor the tyres in order to identify punctures that are sealed, or the presence of nails or screws on the tread pattern. In such a situation, it is necessary to go to a specialized tyre dealer who can identify the puncture area and remove the object that caused it.
The tyre dealer has to subsequently evaluate the extent of the damage and decide if the tyre can be repaired or not.
Seal Inside tyres can significantly reduce the chance of having a flat tyre but, unlike run flat tyres, are not designed to be driven under inflated or in a flat condition.
In terms of mounting, removing and balancing there are no differences between Seal Inside and standard tyres. Pirelli tyres with Seal Inside technology do not need dedicated rims and for this reason can be mounted on the same standard rims used for standard tyres.
Seal Inside tyres should be stored in the same conditions recommended for standard tyres.
Repairing Instructions

Premise: examination of a damaged tyre and execution of a proper repair are the responsibilities only of a specialized tyre dealer. Pirelli does not assume any liability for operations performed by third parties.
To perform the repair of a tyre with Seal Inside technology it is necessary to remove the layer of sealant in the puncture area within the tyre until you reach the impermeable butyl layer, for an area with the same size as the repair patch to be applied; after removing the sealant the repair operation is equivalent to that of a standard tubeless tyre.
As is evident, this operation to remove the sealant from the puncture area inevitably means that the treated area loses the special technical feature of Seal Inside.
paul t
In: Deep Black
Options: FOGS,FOLDING MIRRORS,18"ALLOYS.MATS

Re: SELF SEAL TYRE

Post by paul t »

Thanks shaun for your help.
phil_790
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Candy White
Options: Multi function steering wheel
Interlargos 18inch wheels
Parking sensors
Exterior badge removal
Colour Screen

Post by phil_790 »

Hi,

I have had my Scirocco for 1 year now and have picked up a puncture in the rear drivers side tyre, I have been to a tyre place this afternoon who claim that they cannot be repaired as they are seal inside tyres....is this correct or are they simply trying t extract £200+ from me for a new tyre. I was under the impression that these could be repaired like a "normal" tyre

Also does anyone have any recommendation for a new tyre? (Standard 18 inch wheel)

Thanks,
Phil
goatboy
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Salsa Red
With a: DSG box
Options: Leather!

Re: Pirelli Seal Inside Puncture

Post by goatboy »

Have a google, I think they can be reapired but they have to remove the seal or somethign. Quite a lot of info on the pirelli website.

Also don't pay £200+ for them.
I just got 2 off black circles for around £180 fitted.
alanr
I drive a: R-Line
In: Indium Grey
Options: GT 2.0 TDI 184 tdi r line. Black addition

Post by alanr »

Cant you just leave the nail in the tyre. As they are self seal ?
phil_790
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
Options: Multi function steering wheel
Interlargos 18inch wheels
Parking sensors
Exterior badge removal
Colour Screen

Post by phil_790 »

In the end I phoned pirelli who claimed that the tyre could in some cases be repaired, I spoke to a few tyre places, all said that nothing could be done. I think part of the problem is that not many tyre places have had much experience with self sealing tyres.

Cheers,
Phil
alanr
I drive a: R-Line
In: Indium Grey
Options: GT 2.0 TDI 184 tdi r line. Black addition

Post by alanr »

alanr wrote:Cant you just leave the nail in the tyre. As they are self seal ?
If the nail is.not causing any problems can you just leave it ?
nozydog
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
Options: Park Sensors, Exterior Badge Deletion, Luxury Mats

Post by nozydog »

Personally, if I got a screw or nail in a self sealing tyre I would leave it there and simply keep a close eye on the tyre from that point on! Even with non SS tyres, this problem usually only causes a slow puncture (In the past I have had to check the pressure and re-inflate every one to two weeks) With the cost of tyres today, particularly SS and RF tyres, most of us simply don't have the money to chuck at new tyres every time we get a slow puncture! Having said that, I'd rather not drive at high speed with an object embedded in a front tyre as there is always a slight risk of a full blown blow out (though this has never happened to me and I've had plenty of tyres with screws in them and think about it, the object is constantly being pushed back in with every rotation making it extremely unlikely to pop right out) it all boils down to personal choice and I can fully understand why you may not want to take the chance, however small the risk!