How to survive a hosepipe ban?

Info about the best cleaning products and detailing.
char
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Deep Black
With a: DSG box

How to survive a hosepipe ban?

Post by char »

With a forthcoming hosepipe ban I gave the car a good clean and sealed with some carlack in the hope I'll be able to keep it reasonably clean with a bucket of water going forward at least for a few months :s

Anybody got any other tips or methods, apart from keeping it in a garage :lol:
trix
Options: Gone but never forgotten; Sumatra, Cruise, Parking Sensors, Flat Tyre Indicator, boot liner, hatchbag, premium sills, SciroccoCentral stickers & hedgehog!
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09
Off to his new home July 2016 after nearly 7 years & 88800 miles.

Missing RW1

Re: How to survive a hosepipe ban?

Post by trix »

Probably a bit late for this year but get a waterbutt hooked up to collect rain water & use that.
mac2
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
In: Indium Grey
With a: Manual box
Options: Cruise, DAB, Parking Sensors, Xenons

Post by mac2 »

I have been using ONR (Optimum No Rinse) over the last couple of summers and I find it a really great product. I believe there are now other similar products available all of which can drastically reduce the amount of water you use. For info on using it and all other car cleaning issues I visit detailingworld.
trix
Options: Gone but never forgotten; Sumatra, Cruise, Parking Sensors, Flat Tyre Indicator, boot liner, hatchbag, premium sills, SciroccoCentral stickers & hedgehog!
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09

Missing RW1

Post by trix »

to raise this again as i'm in a hosepipe ban area (woop de do :( ) congrats to karcher whos advert I have just seen that reminds people their pressure washers can be used off a water butt :clap:
Deacon
Options: Tuned 1.4tsi - gone but not forgotten!

Post by Deacon »

Or take my approach - leave it dirty! :-)
playing in my '86
skyblues11
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
In: Candy White
Options: cruise control, front foglight, Multi.f.steering wheel,
tyre indicator

Post by skyblues11 »

I am not a great fan of detailing/ waterless sprays. They can only deal with light dusts and more of a top up rather than a cleaner. Birdpoo yes, but not beyond spot cleaning.

With the amount of rain we are getting these days, as Trix said, waterbutts are the solution.

I use it all the time, even in conjunction with the hose pipe. For example to flush away snow foams/ Irox etc.. In my mum's house she collects over 10 buckets of water. I just use them on the car like that Thailand water festival. i only use the pipe for the wheels, arches and the underside.

Speaking of the pipe ban, what about those Immigrant hand car washes? Are they subjected to any restrictions? For a few pounds they could be another solution.
Cuprabob
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Rising Blue
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Post by Cuprabob »

skyblues11 wrote: Speaking of the pipe ban, what about those Immigrant hand car washes? Are they subjected to any restrictions? For a few pounds they could be another solution.
They are not affected as the ban cannot stop business making money.
Kerrse
Options: Winter pack, Dynaudio Sound Pack, Bi-Xenons, Vienna Leather

Post by Kerrse »

I have the Karcher that can run off a water-butt just missing the waterbutt part :(
Massipet
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
Options: Parking sensors, Leather

Post by Massipet »

Or with all the rain we have had over last few days go out with a bucket, wash it and the enjoy a fresh water rinse ;)
ZephyR
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
Options: 18" Inters, Front fogs, Multi-function steering wheel, Parking sensors & Interior mats

Post by ZephyR »

Kerrse wrote:I have the Karcher that can run off a water-butt just missing the waterbutt part :(
:clap: :clap: :clap: :yes:

But as a matter of interest - is it only the Karcher model in the advert that can run off a water butt or will they all ?
Kerrse
Options: Winter pack, Dynaudio Sound Pack, Bi-Xenons, Vienna Leather

Post by Kerrse »

ZephyR wrote:
Kerrse wrote:I have the Karcher that can run off a water-butt just missing the waterbutt part :(
:clap: :clap: :clap: :yes:

But as a matter of interest - is it only the Karcher model in the advert that can run off a water butt or will they all ?

Mine is a Karcher K5800 K5.800 2100W Eco Pressure Washer 140 Bar, it comes with the hose to do it so not sure if they can all do it, possibly not ?
Dimbit
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 140/150
Options: Parking beeps, leather, massive grin.

Post by Dimbit »

Never threw away the "Super Soaker 300" I had as a kid. It's not ideal but it does the job. :-)
JAM35 X
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
Options: Parking Sensors, Parrot Hands-Free Kit, Rear Tinted Windows, Flat Tyre Indicator, Luxury Car Mats, Chrome Door Sills, Chrome Exhaust Tips.

Post by JAM35 X »

Edit
Last edited by JAM35 X on Wed May 30, 2012 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
mysciroccoRocks
In: Reflex Silver
Options: All of them!
Mirrors pedals and seats

Post by mysciroccoRocks »

Tried this today and it works wonders... £9.99 from Halfords guys...cheap as chips, on buy 3 pay for 2, great deal!

Turtle Wax Waterless Wash- half the price of a.n.other. chem's, worth trying it out- IMO :clap:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... 3396795029
char
I drive a: Scirocco R

Post by char »

How do these waterless washes work in practice, if you spray them on and wipe arent you basically scratching the paintwork with the dirt?? :s
devs413
Options: RNS-510
Dynaudio
Leather Seats
Bi-Xenons
Winter Pack
Folding Mirrors
Cruise Control
Parking Sensors

Post by devs413 »

Why not take a bucket and sponge to the local supermarket jet wash and just buy a couple of tickets, fill the bucket at the end of the first time, wash car, use second time to rinse off?

Relatively cheap.
kenny.c
Options: MK7 GOLF GTI-PP

Post by kenny.c »

I found a good solution on flebay......perfect water container with hozelock connector and tap.....my Bosch jetwash works perfectly.....25L is more than enough for a normal blast and rinse.....I end up needing one and a half containers if using snow foam first.....

Ken
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
megastream
In: Sumatra

Post by megastream »

I bought a Karcher Suction and Filter Hose this week, nice and cheap on this link - http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=142084

Connected up to a water container works a treat :yes:
JAM35 X
I drive a: 2.0 TDI 140
Options: Parking Sensors, Parrot Hands-Free Kit, Rear Tinted Windows, Flat Tyre Indicator, Luxury Car Mats, Chrome Door Sills, Chrome Exhaust Tips.

Post by JAM35 X »

Last edited by JAM35 X on Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trix
Ordered 23rd June 09
Build week 41
Handover 17th Oct 09

Missing RW1

Post by trix »

JAM35 X wrote:a good waterless car cleaner is called aquanon, it is easy on easy off: http://www.achem.co.uk/shop/product-det ... ?prdID=330" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Are you a parrot ;)
JAM35 X wrote:You should try Aquanon, you can buy it online from achem.co.uk - it is a waterless car cleaner, and a lot cheaper than similar products and still very good quality.

http://www.achem.co.uk/shop/products-su ... 7&catID=31" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;