Tyre noise

Technical discussion such as Bluetooth, Sat-Nav, iPods, tyres, brakes, all that kind of stuff.
Ebony ivy
I drive a: GT 2.0 TDI 170/184
In: Deep Black
With a: Manual box
Options: DAB radio, chrome pedal caps, K & N Panel filter, tdi-tuning box, red lower grille strip, LED side lights, HID headlight bulbs, piano black 'R' steering wheel badge

Tyre noise

Post by Ebony ivy »

Does anyone else out there suffer from excessive tyre noise on certain motorway surfaces, its the only thing I can find not to like with my rocco. I'm thinking it's down to the Dunlop sport maxx TT tyres it's currently running on, if someone could offer some advice on this it would be much appreciated.

Regards
Martyn
Cuprabob
In: Rising Blue
Options: Panoramic Roof, 19" Black Luganos, Vienna Leather, Parking Sensors, DAB, Dynaudio, Bluetooth, Cruise, Folding Mirrors, Xenons

Re: Tyre noise

Post by Cuprabob »

I've got Pirellis on 19" and find the tyre noise on certain surfaces to be annoying.

Not really much you can do about it to be honest.
sugar_W
I drive a: GT 2.0 TSI
Options: Beeps from behind / Sat-nag / Sunshine roof / Vienetta leather / Auto pilot / ABS problems :(

Post by sugar_W »

Do you mean road noise as in the general 'roar' you get especially on concrete m-ways for example, or is there a an obvious 'hum' around 60mph or a slight knocking sound increasing with speed?

If either of the latter take a look at the wear of your rear tyres, come the end of my rears the hum noise was unbearable at some speeds, basically down to the inner edges worn down and morphed from circular to hexagonal for whatever reason.
Ebony ivy
Options: DAB radio, chrome pedal caps, K & N Panel filter, tdi-tuning box, red lower grille strip, LED side lights, HID headlight bulbs, piano black 'R' steering wheel badge

Post by Ebony ivy »

Thanks to Cuprabob & sugar W for there advice on my tyre noise issue.

Regards
Martyn
Gary_Monkey
I drive a: 1.4 TSI 160
With a: DSG box
Options: 18" Interlagos, 2Zone Climate Control, Multifunction Steering Wheel with Paddle Shift and Highline computer, Front Fog Lights, Mats front and rear.

Car ordered 30 June 2009.
Car built Build Week 43.
Car built and at check point 5 (20/10)
Car now at check point 7 (21/10)

Post by Gary_Monkey »

I too find the tyre "roar", on certain road surfaces, excessive in the Scirocco. I think it's down to the fact I'm running on 18" low profile tyres (and some folks are running 19's). Can't be helped. A lot of rubber in contact with the tarmac.
Car now at docks waiting to board ship. Due to sail Sat 24 Oct! 23/10
Car now at a UK port being checked. 26/10)
Car still at the port of Sheerness until 3 Nov. Grrr 29/10
Car at dealers and being prepped. 3/11
Car Deliverd :-) 10 Nov 2009
lordchive
Options: Xenon headlights, winter pack, reverse park sensors, cornering lights,
cruise control, folding mirrors.

Post by lordchive »

Compared to my previous car, Fiesta zetec S on 17inch low profile types, the roc is like a church even with 19" lol :nod: On pirelli types, seem pretty good so far :) Worse car was my saxo on concrete motorways, it sounded like a wailing ghost, always used to spook me in thick fog at 4am lol

Cheers
Clive.
Ebony ivy

noise when coasting

Post by Ebony ivy »

Hello all, I am getting a rumbling / droning noise when coming to a stop, it starts from around 25mph and continues until the vehicle stops, anybody else experiencing this with their car. Don't know whether its a fault or just a characteristic of the car, any help or advice would be appreciated.

Regards
Martyn
Last edited by trix on Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: the showroom section is for showing off you p&j not problems
sciroccorocket
I drive a: Scirocco R
In: Candy White
Options: Parking Sensors Pano roof Sat Nav

Re: noise when coasting

Post by sciroccorocket »

Mine did this and it was due to the rear wheels out of alignment, had to have a 4 wheel align to sort it its now quiet as a mouse apart from the exhaust burble
Ebony ivy

Post by Ebony ivy »

Thank you to sciroccorocket for the reply to my post, I will get my car booked in to have the alignment checked

Regards
Martyn
yaroc
Options: Leather, Parking Sensors, Cruise Control, Folding Mirrors, DAB ,Mats

Post by yaroc »

I have Pirelli self-seals on mine and when it was new I thought they were quiet but now I’ve done nearly 9k they sometimes seem excessively noisy to me but I think that’s the nature of low profile tyres, they get noisier as the wear down.
sciroccorocket
I drive a: Scirocco R
Options: Parking Sensors Pano roof Sat Nav

Post by sciroccorocket »

no problem
Mogster
In: Indium Grey
With a: DSG box
Options: 19" Lugano, Folding mirrors, Cruise, Parking sensors.

Post by Mogster »

Compared to my previous car a Leon FR on 18s the Roc is pretty quiet even on its 19s. Some older road surfaces are just awful though, in any car.
Ebony ivy

Noise when coasting

Post by Ebony ivy »

Hi all

This post is an update to a post I made regarding tyre / grumbling noise I experience when coasting to a stop fom around 25mph.
I took the advice of 'sciroccorocket' and had a four wheel alignment done, however, this has not solved the problem.

While I was in the tyre garage the guy mentioned that it could be a fault with my rear tyres, and it certainly looks like it could be!! When he rubbed his hand around at the inside edge of the rear tyres, it was rippled and not smooth, he told me this is a common fault with VW's not just the roc.

If anyone else has this problem get the rear tyres checked.

Regards
Martyn
carlpea
In: Reflex Silver

Re: Noise when coasting

Post by carlpea »

So you just have to get the tyres replaced I assume?
Ebony ivy

Re: Noise when coasting

Post by Ebony ivy »

Basically yes, they just said it was a common fault on all VW's, only fix is to replace the tyres.

Regards
Martyn
rscut
Options: Panoramic roof, leather, black wing mirrors, debadged, h&r springs, black wheels and black badges

Post by rscut »

I have this at the moment on mine, very annoying! I have only had the car 2 weeks but bought it 2nd hand from a VW dealer. Do you think i could take it back and get them to sort it? They offer 30 days no hassle swap, so could kick up a fuss and see what they say!
carlpea
In: Reflex Silver

Post by carlpea »

No harm in trying?
Ebony ivy

Post by Ebony ivy »

Hi rscut

Not sure if VW would help you out or not, how many miles has your car done? My car has covered 35k on its rear tyres and I have around 3mm left on them, however, it's been making the noise for around the last 12 - 15k, like Carlpea said there is certainly on harm in trying.
I get the idea that it's not a fault with the Scirocco just the way the suspension and geometry has been set up at the factory, still a brilliant car tho.

Regards
Martyn
rscut
Options: Panoramic roof, leather, black wing mirrors, debadged, h&r springs, black wheels and black badges

Post by rscut »

Its done 11k so there is about 5-6mm left on them. Also have an issue with noise brakes and the wheel balance. Im goignt to take it in and see what they say! Cheers guys
Ebony ivy

Post by Ebony ivy »

If you also have these other issues, deffo take it back to the dealer and get them to check it out, good luck!